Reload this Page >

Florida like Carribean ?

Search

Florida like Carribean ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:08 PM
John

Florida like Carribean ?

I love travelling in the Caribbean. Been to Jamaica (3 times) and St John's (2 times).<BR>Are there any places in Florida that might offer<BR>a similar experience. We'd like to travel in <BR>June or July, or maybe the end of August.<BR>Looking for a great all inclusive with excellent<BR>beach. We like sailing and snorkeling, and prefer something that is not too crowded (no need for an active "night-life"... Natural beauty is a must. Any suggestions ?

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Catherine

I'd like to know the same !

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Lois

My husband and I feel the same way. We've traveled on both East & West coasts of Florida and have not found it. We've been told the Keys are beautiful, but not much beach area like we are used to in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>From someone who has been to both places I've been told that the Panhandle area of Florida offers this - specifically Destin, and Panama City Beach -- crystal clear and white sand beaches. From the brochures it appears to be true.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:14 AM
anon

Believe it, it's true. On calm days you can almost think you're in the Caribbean. As far as AI's go, I don't know of any in FL. They (AI's) don't seem to have the popularity in the states that they do in the islands.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Rose

John, You might want to check out Captiva and Sanibel islands. They are located off the west coast near Ft. Myers and are quite lovely and tropical. There's a large resort called South Seas Plantation at the very end of Captiva. I'm not sure if it's an all-inclusive.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:04 AM
chazz

We alternate between Fla. and the Caribbean, and you've asked a tough question.<BR><BR>The Keys have the most Caribbean-like "feel" of anyplace in Florida, but as noted, the beaches there aren't great. They also have the best snorkeling in Fla. Key West is very crowded and Key Largo doesn't do much for me; we prefer the areas in between.<BR><BR>We have found the water to be a bit clearer on the Atlantic Coast than on the Gulf, but the east cost (Daytona to Miami) is somewhat lacking in atmosphere.<BR><BR>I agree that Sanibel and Captiva are nice and they would be good choices if you can live without the snorkeling.<BR><BR>What we did last time was spend half a week in the Keys and half in the Boca Raton area (nice beach).<BR><BR>AI's are very rare in Fla., probably because it's so easy to access various restaurants, and most visitors have cars.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Cheri

Believe me Panama City Beach, FL is nothing like the Caribbean. The beaches are pretty though the water is not nearly the deep blue/turquoise color that you see down in the Caribbean. PCB is getting very run down with junky T-shirt shops, etc. and it is almost impossible to drive anywhere at night due to the large amount of people on the "strip". <BR><BR>Destin is nicer and has the same nice beaches but the crowds there are unbearable as well. <BR><BR>I would check more into Sanibel or Captiva.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:00 AM
linda

Captiva is nice and quieter than Sanibel, but you don't have visibility in the water, nor the color. It is a little choppy at times, and there are many shells on the beaches- which are not very wide either.Doesn't compare to Caribbean beaches I've enjoyed.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:12 PM
anon

Let's face it, NOTHING compares to the Caribbean, BUT...if you are in a situation where you can't get to the islands and need a quick fix stateside, Destin and the Ft.Walton , Navarre area will do nicely. As for crowds, it depends what time of year you go. We were there in the fall and at times were the only 2 people on the beach.<BR><BR>It DOES have the varied turquoise colored water on calm days.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Jody

Would Destin, and Panama City Beach offer snorkeling, and blue water, like the Carribean?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:03 PM
linda

Absolutely not! Florida adsters color their photos, trust me.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:26 AM
anon

No snorkeling in the Destin area, but beach is beautiful and on calm days so is the water. If it's windy you get some waves, but otherwise it's calm and flat and gorgeous.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:45 AM
denette

John,<BR>Can give you a few insights to places in Florida, or at least what/where my family has vacationed. Try to give you pro/con of each. I am married to a native Floridian from the panhandle 25+ yrs so know that area like the back of my hand.<BR>We have vacationed all up and down the east coast/Atlantic with nothing spectacular.<BR>The Keys have absolutely beautiful blue/green water, wonderful snorkeling and the nearest atmosphere to the caribbean that you can get in Flordia. The beaches are narrow, many man made at many resorts,(only one natural beach so to speak in Key West), not as white/blinding as in the panhandle area. Alot of commercialization/t-shirt shops/bars in Key West, but not as bad at many of the other Keys and the resorts therein. The fishing is great there, I have a brother-in-law (avid scuba diver) who lives in Panhandle and goes often to fish/scuba dive there, if fishing is a concern.<BR>Very crowded in summer when school is out, end of August would be best bet.<BR><BR>The Sanibel/Captiva Island area is wonderful for families.<BR>Those being barrier islands they are famous for their seashells that are by the ga-zillion (southern expression) on much of the beaches. So many that what you might pick up at the Keys or the panhandle area you throw back down looking for that more perfect one laying everywhere. At some places there are so many you need to wear your watershoes to protect your feet,<BR>The beaches are not as wide as in the Panhandle area, nor snow white, and the snorkeling is O.K. This area is very family oriented with bike/walking trails everywhere that take you everywhere, the kids can ride for miles, chaperoned to almost everyplace you need to go. This area reminds me alot of Hilton Head and the way they have everything laid out.Very crowded, later August would be better.<BR><BR>The Panhandle area has the good, bad and the ugly.<BR>The beaches are absolutely beautiful, snow white-blinding without sunglasses.<BR>The water is blue/green comparable to the Keys on most any day. The beaches are wide.The snorkeling is O.K., but not as good as in the Keys. The fishing is great out of Destin area.<BR>Everywhere you turn they are trying to create that caribbean feel with all the tropical colored houses trimmed out to look like what you would find in the caribbean.<BR>Panama City has become the bad and the ugly, tinsel town-neon city. It sits on a knock out gorgeous beach, but is so hard to appreciate through the tatoo shop, t-shirts shops,condom shops, body piercing shops, wall to wall lodging, restaurants, and stores. It has become geared to the spring breakers and to families with teenagers and they offer all the things that appeal to their generation. <BR>Destin and Ft. Walton have become very commercialized with everything you can think of, great water parks, amusements for the kids, lots of shopping, but just a few miles out of Panama City, Destin and Ft. Walton are some absolutely great places to vacation- Navarre, Santa Rosa, Dune Allen, Grayton Beach, Blue Mountain, Seagrove, Philip's Inlet are all great places but only a short drive to all the shopping/eating . Very crowded until school starts back, later August would be better here also.<BR><BR>As far as all inclusive, never have tried one, even in all our travels, we like to experience places we visit out away from the resort area and we love to eat at quaint/local places and really get into the specialness of a particular place.<BR>As much as I think the Panhandle has the most beautiful beaches in all of Florida, I would go to the Caribbean every month if we could afford it and get time away from our busy life.<BR>There are so many beautiful places I've read about and am wanting to see, and the 9 or 10 islands we have been to have each been so wonderful to <BR>see/experience.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Kerri

This was a nice overview ! <BR>Thanks.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 05:52 PM
sandra

I have been everywhere in FL(born in Tampa)and all of the beaches are beautiful. My opinion is that South Beach in Miami and the Grayton Beach/Destin area are the best. Coming in second place would be Sanibel Island and then Ft.Lauderdale Beach.I have never seen an all-inclusive resort in FL. These are all great places to do the beach thing but none offer decent snorkeling. I have seen a few rays,flounder and barracudas but that's about it. There just aren't any reefs nearby and fishing is much more popular.I have to travel south of Cuba for the best snorkeling!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 05:39 AM
fyi

Little Palm Key.