best shore snorkeling places

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a vacation to the caribbean and want to know what people think are the best shore snorkeling islands/sites. I don't want to have to take a boat, just want to be able to snorkel from the shore when I like--would appreciate knowing about good boat trips also, but the main thing is to snorkel anytime I want to without a lot of fuss.
thanks
Billyet
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:35 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
My favorite by far is snorkeling off the beach at Jalousie on St. Lucia. The water taxis that moor there will take you to the black sand beach at Anse Chastanet for the day and to other snorkel locations.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 01:43 AM

Personal favorite so far is popular with a lot of posters here: St John USVI

Other universal "best" places: Bonaire, Caymans, Anegada BVI, St Croix USVI (Buck Island), Bahama Out Islands, Provo Turks & Caicos

here's a thread with good suggestions:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34946915
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 02:21 AM

I vote for St. John. I've been to Bonaire which has more shore sites but the snorkeling is in too deep of water for me (IMHO). On St. John the snorkeling is very easy, at most sites, some of the more difficult ones have some of the better snorkeling.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 03:56 AM

St. John and Virgin Gorda - you won't be disappointed with either on.

Bonaire also has some of the best "walk-in" snorkeling in the Caribbean.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 04:26 AM

Of the places I've visited, Virgin Gorda had the best, with certain places on Tortola, St. Lucia, and Antigua trailing behind. I've not yet been to St. John, Provo, Grand Cayman, or Bonaire.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:25 AM

Turks and Caicos Islands (Providencials.) Stay at the Turks & Caicos Club and you can snorkel right off the beach. Other options are the Reef residences or Coral Gardens.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:14 AM

St John is one of the best snorkeling destinations in the Virgin Islands. Most best spots are accessible straight off the beach.

Try out these spots:
- Trunk Bay's Underwater Trail
- Jumbie Bay
- Caneel Bay

Katja from www.BoatCaribbean.com
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:35 AM

I stayed at Caneel Bay on St. John in December and the snorkeling wasn't what it used to be 10 years ago. We were disappointed. We stayed at Cap Juluca a couple of years ago and there was no snorkeling off the beach there. I too am looking for a good snorkeling place for a trip next year. I am considering Virgin Gorda, the Grenadines, or the Turks. Which is better?

Thanks,
WT
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM

WT, I think that none of the reefs in the caribbean are like they were 10 years ago. Global warming and development are taking their toll. If you go to St. John again try these spots, they seem to be pretty solid:
1 - Denis Bay
2 - Reef Bay
3 - Blue Cobblestone
4 - Haulover Bay - right at the entry and far to right as you look at the water.
6 - Chocolate Hole around the point toward Hart Bay.
7- Rainbow Beach
8 - Lameshur

All are above average, IMHO of course, and are shore snorkel spots.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 12:37 PM

I agree St. John but also St.Thomas. Saw a lot of things just off the beaches that I haven't seen off other islands like squid, eagle ray, sea turtle, lion fish, and I think even an octopus (it was hiding in some rocks so I could only see a bit of it and it's eye). The best was a very large puffer.

Anse Chastanet was good too but nothing like USVI. Mainly fish.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 01:35 PM

I have been to St Maarten, St Thomas, Bermuda, Barbados all lovley places but for a snorkeling vacation (i.e. rent a car and drive from beach to beach and snorkel) St John is the place to go.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM

I love the shore snorkeling in Grand Cayman and St. Johns.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM
ode

I vote for Bonaire. I have been to both St. John and Bonaire, and think that Bonaire has greater fish and coral diversity. I also think the corals are in better condition than St. John. However, there are far fewer stores and restaurants in Bonaire. Which may be an issue for some people.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 11:30 PM

Grand Cayman Islands are a nice place to snorkel. Along with the nice beaches, you can also go coral reef diving, scuba diving, even visit Stingray City!

More info:
http://www.harbourheightscayman.com/...g/default.html
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 01:18 AM

I have not been to St Lucia or St John but those are on my list and I've read snorkeling is very good.

Of the places I've been Grand Cayman and Turks & Caicos had the best just jump in the water and snorkel away...

Grand Cayman we rented a car and drove all over...I had a little map of all the great snorkel spots. It was a BLAST.

Turks & Caicos you could just walk into the water with your gear and go but one of our favorite excursions ever was on a boat there...it was fantastic. We snorkeled all over then ended on a private island where they cooked us an unbelievable barbeque with fresh conch [that we dove for] and lobster, etc. Wonderful.

I was not as impressed with St Thomas snorkeling.

Trish
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Having been to all those mentioned above and others St. John is a step above the next best which is near the wall and Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. The only caution there is occasionally there is an undertow and you must snorkel with an inflatable vest, just in case.