Reload this Page >

Aruba or St. Thomas????

Search

Aruba or St. Thomas????

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 09:46 PM
casie

Aruba or St. Thomas????

My husband and I are taking our first vaction alone together. We have been married 4 years. We are in our late 20's. Money is some what of a concern.( We can't decide on Aruba or St.Thomas. Any ideas? Or other places to vist? Also any ideas of places to stay at either island. Already did Hawaii with the family

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 09:06 AM
linda keimig

We found Aruba to be wonderful. The food was excellent and you can drink the water. We were there the last of July and the weather was warm but the trade winds keep it very comfortable. We chose Delta Vacations because they had the best times for travel and eliminated an extra stop on the trip. Aruba is not the least expensive destination you can find but my husband and I both agree we found "paradise".

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 12:09 PM
Sooooz

Casie, <BR> <BR>If you're thinking about Aruba (which my husband and I love!) there are 2 very helpful bulletin boards dedicated to Aruba. www.visitaruba.com and www.aruba-bb.com. People there are very helpful and it's loaded with info about hotels, restaurants, things to do, etc. <BR> <BR>Have a great time with your husband! <BR> <BR>Sooooz

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 04:25 PM
Karen

I suspect that you can and will find that Aruba might be a bit less expensive than St. Thomas or at least from the ads for some of the "packages" that I have read it seems that way. They are very different islands with a very different ambience and not sure what you are looking for. Aruba is lovely altho I found the beaches wonderful, I could not enjoy because of the constant strong WIND that blew incessently. Of course, it may be a seasonal thing since we were there is February and they say that it only gets stronger in the Spring. That blowing sand HURTS! That has been our discovery every time we have tried Aruba. Aruba has more "activity" with the gambling and is more "Americanized" with American chain hi rise hotels elbow to elbow along a lovely beach with timeshares squeezed in between, many of the "chain" food places such as Dunkin' Donuts, OutBack, etc. etc. can be found on Aruba while STT remains more "caribb-like." St. Thomas you will find only a few hi rises and the hotels have their own beaches on coves or bays. There are quite a few condo/resorts where you could have the option of eating "in" for breakfast, lunch or even dinner to save $$ but still have all the amenities of a resort - Secret Harbour is one moderate priced one with a fabulous beach and they have wonderful rooms where you can walk directly from your unit onto the sand into the water! No elevators, no lobbies to walk thru ... and if you email me I can give you others. St. Thomas is also a great gateway for days on St. John (a 15 minute ferry ride) and exploring the pristine Nat'l Park and its beaches or for exploring the BVI! St. Thomas offers only a few a/i's but there is lots of good dining options island wide in all price ranges. The snorkling is fantastic on STT and STJ if you enjoy that and it is a "mecca" for shopping but there are loads of other things to do! Which ever you decide, have a wonderful time! If I can help further, please feel free to email me!

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 04:44 PM
casie

Thank you for all your help