Reload this Page >

Peter Island - Crowded Beaches?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 09:43 AM
lynn

I've been receiving feedback that Amway continues to use Peter Island Resort for many of their company functions. I've also heard that there are charters that roll in during the day. Have any of you that have been to PIR found this to be a disturbance from the serenity you might have been looking for? <BR><BR>Also, are the waters as beautiful as I've heard (crystal blue)?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 08:50 PM
e

I've been by it in a boat numerous times and it always looks empty. It is a beautiful, quiet, small island and yes, the water there, as in all of the Virgin Islands, is turqoise and beautiful.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 03:06 AM
Eva

The beaches in the BVI, including Peter Island's, are public to the high water mark, so boats are permitted to land there. The charters that do roll in are small yacht charters (2-8 people, maybe a half dozen boats since holding in Deadman's Bay is not the greatest), not huge daytrips from cruise ships or from the USVI. The resort does prohibit non-guests from using the resort's chairs, hammocks, palapas, etc. And it strongly encourages yachties to use the east end of Deadman's Bay, rather than the western 2/3. As one of those yachties, I've always found the east end of Deadman's Bay virtually empty when I've landed there ... more people are on the west end (that "reserved" for the resort), and they all seem to be resort guests. Not that a few dozen people is exactly a crowd... Besides, there are other beaches on the island unvisited by yachts where PIR guests can find the seclusion they seek.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 04:07 AM
lisa

we went to peter island for the day from tortola during peak season over New Years Eve. Except for one other couple, we had the entire beach to ourselves! it was a fabulous beach - you will love it!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 12:03 PM
joan

What about the recent thread on here which mentioned that Prospect Reef has (owns?) one of the beaches on PI? Isn't the island tiny? I think it may have been mariarosa that posted this...

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Karen

There is a tiny beach that Prospect uses on PIR away from and not connected in any way with the Resort. It used to be a good very secluded spot to anchor. I don't even know that you can get to that particular beach from the land side of PIR.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Mariarosa

Joan, what Karen says is correct - the bay that Prospect reef has is a small bay on another side of Peter Island. You cannot reach PIR from the Prospect bay. If you look at a map of Peter Island you will see that the PIR is located around Deadman's Bay. PIR also has shuttles to White Bay. Prospect has one of the small bays on Great Harbour. The rest of Great Harbour has no constructions in it. A good part of the center of Peter Island is wild vegetation. <BR><BR>I can't imagine PIR being that crowded - you have to either arrive in your charter boat or pay the $20 to take the ferry to PIR, or make dinner reservations.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Sarah

Hi Lynn,<BR><BR>Just had to chime in and let you know how much we enjoyed Deadman's Bay beach (day trip from Virgin Gorda). We were only among about a dozen people there that day. Crowded, by BVI standards, seems to be more than ten people on a beach!!! The water is unbelievably crystal clear. I'd highly recommend it.