Search

How Charming is Nevis?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Charming is Nevis?

We are torn between two vacation spots for this winter's vacation -Maui or Nevis. Very different choices I know.
I've been looking at some of the posts here and I've done a small amopunt of reading and still have a few questions.
I heard the food has improved much over the years on Nevis. If we stay at the Four Seasons and rent a car, are there enough good spots around for us to enjoy? It sounds as though the residents of the island are very warm? We enjoy interacting with them so this is important to us. Someone mentioned that the bugs are very bad. This was a major problem for us in St. Lucia. Does anyone know if it's similiar? How likely is it that the airlines will lose the luggage? We live in MN and flights to the caribbean are rather long. I seem to remember that you fly somewhere else and jump onto a smaller plane to go on to Nevis. Is there a time in either January or February that's best not to go - either because of weather or because of kids being on break? Because I've heard that the beaches in Nevis aren't the best, is the pool big enough at the FS to accomodate guests, along with shade? (We're very fair-skinned)or would the Marriott be a better choice (bigger doens't scare us in the least!). Thank you so much for any and all help!
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Maui - without a doubt.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Nevis is a fabulous island. I think you would really love it. Mostly well-traveled individuals seem to go there who have been pretty much everywhere and fall in love with it immediately. I know a lot of people who buy property on their first visit.
The food is wonderful on Nevis. There are a lot of very good restaurants there now. Bananas Bistro is a favorite of FS guests. It is really easy to get to various places if you rent a car. The airlines pretty much never lose the FS guests luggage. That lugguage is of top priority. The locals are very friendly on Nevis. More so than a lot of places in the Caribbean. I never really have bug problems there. I do spray on my feet before going out to dinner. That is pretty much it. The bugs are not as bad as St Lucia in my experience.
You fly American to San Juan and fly direct from San Juan to Nevis on an American Eagle. There used to be a really small puddle jumper from St Kitts (nevis express) which is not in business anymore. AA handles the flights.
There are 2 pools at the FS one for kids, one for adults. There are umbrellas at the pool.
Jan. or Feb. is high season so it is busy. It is a great time to go.
The Marriott St Kitts I assume you are talking about? Well its a totally different experience. It is a very nice resort, but not on the level of FS.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Knowing - to answer your direct question, Nevis is very charming!
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Can anyone share what downtown Nevis/St. Kitts look like?

Does it have little colorful shops like Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao

(I do know that they are not nearly as commercialized) I am just looking for a comparison/what to expect

I am so excited... we will be there in 3 weeks

ps can we walk to Rams from the Marriott and/or the FS

thanks all!!!
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Downtown Nevis and St Kitts both have very old buildings, both towns are built on the water front. St Kitts has some duty free shops, and some other local shops, where Nevis just has a few small local shops. There is a lot of duty free in the Marriott and the FS has 2 really good gift shops.
The few local shops in Nevis are OK, neither place is a big shopping destination. Downtown on both islands is pretty. Nevis being more charming and pretty that St Kitts. In Nevis Cafe de Arts is downtown and is an art gallery (local stuff) and cafe open for breakfast and lunch. Tons of ex-pats eat there, some everyday Its a good place to get to know people. The owner sells great art there. A lot of stuff from St Kitts (Kate Designs)
It does not really look like the ABC islands.
No you cannot walk to Rams from either hotel. You can take a taxi but it really is not far. There is a Rams in Frigate Bay, but its really small. Most people opt for the one in town. And there is Best Buy and Rams in Nevis.
I am sure you will have a great time!
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I certainly can't answer your questions about food, or bugs...although I'd like to hear more about *creepie crawlies* and the bugs. But I can respond to the "charm" of the Nevisian people...even before my first visit.

My emails have been answered promptly, and several phone calls have been helpful in directing me to other properties. All with a gentle voice, that made me want to modulate my own voice ;-)

And Mim, you might have told me that it is NEEVIS ;-) But I was gently corrected...that it is NEEvis...you'll never want to LEAVE us

I realize that this doesn't really answer your question Knowing...but it does seem like there is great charm on this island.

Marion
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Marion - I don't know where creepie crawlies came in, lol. I have more of them in Texas than Nevis.
I was actually talking about that with my Mom recently. That you can live on an island with windows and doors open all the time with no bugs! If I did that at home I would have everything from roaches to flies to mosquitos (and more) Major creepie crawlies

And Marion is correct about the people they are kind and charming!
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:56 PM

MIM

No, there was no reference to "creepie crawlies". I brought that up because somewhere ?, I read that going barefoot was not advised.

I will happily do battle with the creatures that fly, but I really don't want to see anything on the floor.

I am a barefoot kind of woman And don't have the ability to yell at a DH, WAKE UP AND GET THAT THING ON THE FLOOR ;-) !!

Marion

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Marion - OK, now I understand. No, I do not wear shoes unless I go to the store, town, restaurant (places one would normally wear shoes) But inside a villa or outside (if you know where you are walking.) And of course no shoes at the beach or pool. That is one of the things I love is not wearing shoes!
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Ruby,

When you return from Nevis, would you please do a trip report? I am dying to hear your thoughts upon your return.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Knowing - If you want to ask me any questions I would be happy to email you. I have been helping MarionCK with her plans next year. Offer is here if you want. I have family who live in Nevis and am building a house. I spend a lot of time there...
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:05 AM

HI Knowing!

I sure will, I will be back the first week of August
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:22 AM

Hi, Knowing--

After reading your posts over the past few years and knowing that you were disappointed in St. Lucia, I have to agree with Diana and think that maybe Maui would be better for you over Nevis. I personally love Nevis and find it extremely charming indeed--in fact, my husband and I were talking last night about finding the time to go back again before the end of this year. But with the exception of the ease of getting around the island, much of what I loved about St. Lucia is paralleled in what I love about Nevis.

Can't predict about airline luggage or bugs at any given time, unfortunately, as insect appearance is directly proportional to amount of rain and lost bags depend on too many factors.

From MN, I imagine you'd fly a combination of NorthWest and American Airlines--either NWA to Chicago, then on the San Juan and NEvis on American, or NWA all the way to San Juan and then pick up American Eagle. And yes, it would be an all day flight--possibly an overnight travel scenario.

I've found that travel in January after Epiphany (Jan 6) nets fewer crowds and often one can find a discount off of the high-season prices, as it's the lull between the Christmas and Presidents' Week storms.

I don't know about food improvement, as I was only there once, but yes, there are AMPLE places for both fine dining and local joints on Nevis. Residents were extremely friendly. And I found the driving to be a piece of cake, with the single exception of the approach to Montpelier after a rain.

The 4S is a beautifully manicured property that looks truly lovely, but with all that it somehow felt out of place on the island.

Hope you find the perfect spot for vacation!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:31 AM

ejcrowe,

Thank you so much for doing an excellent job of putting into words what I wanted to say but knew I would not be able to...
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:44 AM
iw

I just returned from Nevis and fell in love with the island. The people were sooooo friendly and helpful. There is not as much to see and do as there is in Maui. Personally, I loved both places for different reasons. In Nevis, we saw the sights and the town. As mentioned earlier, not a lot of good shopping. The food was excellent at Bananas and at the Oualie Beach Hotel. Chef Jason Bishop is excellent and very friendly. The FS was beautiful. We didn't stay there, but probably will next time. I do recommend bug spray. You can't see them, but they are there! Nevis had the real island feel to it. We just hung out at the beaches. In Maui there is a lot to do. Watching the whales in Feb./Mar. was a neat experience. Golf courses are wonderful. Trip to Hana and Haleakala was very fun. Hiking, biking and seeing the waterfalls was fun. Food was great, but more expensive than in Nevis. Maybe you should visit both. Grin..... I don't know if this helps.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 07:07 AM

EJ...

Once again I will encourage you to write the book !

You always get to the point and provide valuable information.

I know many of us look forward to your posts, and we would certainly buy that book !

Marion
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Awww, thanks you two. Both of your posts put a big grin on my face, especially as I consider myself much less traveled than most of the folks here, but especially Marion and Diana.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:31 AM

EJ,

My travels are divided in two. The *old* days where any comments would certainly be outdated, and the current days, where I am learning from many wonderful folks here.

Have a wonderful time in Tortola. We will all look forward to your report.

"Kowtow"..I love it and haven't heard it in years ! I raised two REALLY picky eaters, and have no one but myself to blame. Maybe you can make a difference with this lovely young woman.

ENJOY every minute !!

Marion

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:29 AM

ej,

hi, you have me a littel concerened with your comments to Knowing about St. Lucia and Nevis.

St. Lucia was a beautiful island, but not my favorite, as I felt a little uneasy leaving the resort.

I am hoping Nevis is a little more laid back than St. Lucia.
I have mentioned before that we love Aruba, and realize this is going to be a very different kind of experience for us, one I am looking foward to. My husband loves adventure and hiking, I love a good book and pool.

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts... we leave in just over 2 weeks!

Ruby
[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -