Reload this Page >

where to go for 3 - 6 months

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 01:55 PM
jen

Does any one have advice on where it is easy to go and stay for 3 - 6 months. I was thinking caribbean, mexico, costa rica, french polynesia but do not know how to find information on long term stays in these areas. Afterall, we will still have a mortgage to pay back in the states. Any good web sites or long term rentals that you know of on the internet. we have been on several 1 - 2 week vacations but nothing for this long. Advice needed from those of you that have. <BR> <BR>We are interested in staying in a culturally different atmosphere near or on a beach. It would be nice to learn a new language (or part of one). <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Nope

<BR>French Polynesia will definitely break the bank. A long stay in Mexico or Costa Rica could get tiresome for me, I think. <BR> <BR>???Maybe fly to St. Vincy, spend a few, then ferry around to the different Grenadines. There are reasonable guest houses & small apartment hotels on Canouan, Bequia, etc. Can't remember an inn on Union, but must be one. Spend a day charter on Mustique, but don't stay unless you are spending bucks. End up in Grenada. Ferry schedules change alot so stay flexible. You can always find a boat captain to take you to next island tho. <BR> <BR> <BR>Best tip: Pack light, one small bag each + backpack at most. Use washable, lightweight clothes, minimal toiletries in small amounts. Be low maintenance. Have fun. <BR>Lovely beaches & water, cultural diversity, great snorkeling. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Kim

Are you running from the Law? Just Kidding!!!!!!

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 06:13 AM
jbrooks

No, Kim, not running from the law, maybe running from reality, though

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 07:25 AM
Anon

Reality will be when you see how much it is going to cost you to live in the Caribbean for 6 months. That's reality.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Marty

One thing to keep in mind, when you travel to other countries from the U.S., you sometimes are only allowed to stay for 30 days at a time. For example, if you went to the Cayman Isalnds, every 30 days you would have to fly back to the States to touch U.S. soil, unless you got a special work permit. If you are going to a U.S. Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e.- Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, etc.), this does not apply. Be sure to research it first, or you might be surprised when they make you leave! Haha! <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Diane

My daughter is headed back to Costa Rica for about 3 months. She was there for 4 weeks last year on a Spanish language program and loved it. This time she and a friend are teaching English (and becoming stronger Spanish-bilingual) before they come back to start their "real" post-college graduate lives. They're renting a place for $270/mo and expect to travel all over the country. She prefers the Pacific coast beach areas to the Caribbean, but the mountain and rain forest areas are also marvelous to visit. If you want to become bilingual, this is a great place to do it.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 02:16 PM
al

Interesting idea. I'd nix the French Polynesia thing from the mega-bucks it will take. The point about time limits is correct, but if, say, you were on the BVI, then a ferry ride to US territory on USVI should do it, presuming you go over to customs to ensure that your passport is stamped. Unfortunately, the BVI speaks English. I lived in France for 3 years and suggest that unless you have done significant work on your language skills before you get on the plane, you will not acquire the language. I spent 4 months in language class 5 days a week, 4 hours per day, to be able to do the basics of daily office life in France. <BR>Still, the acculturization process is indescribably worthwhile. You lose your American cultue in about 8 months and then come home and find that the damned Americans are sooo loud in restaurants, and sooo much in a hurry, and need a car to do anything. We cried when we left France. How can something so painful be so wonderful?

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 03:00 PM
Di

Would suggest the island of Moorea in FP. Accomodations can be had at Motel Albert for an apartment at a bit less than $40.00 per night. Across the road from Bali Hai hotel which is a tad run down. At end of bay so beach could be nicer but if you are there for any length, waking to a nicer beach in 15-30 minutes is doable. Food can be expensive but you can eat the French bread and fruit and simplify your diet and eat reasonable. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Motel Albert was very clean and had gorgous grounds. For more info, contact me.