Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best Caribbean Destination with a Toddler?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2012, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - I have a 20 month old and am looking for a 4 night Caribbean getaway in May.
I am looking for some ideas on a destination that meets the following criteria:

a safe island
a modern and family friendly resort (clean, not too dated, and a place that won't frown upon you bringing your little one out to a nice dinner at the resort - also hopefully a resort that has good medical care on premise just in case!)
good/above average service
good food
great beach and pool
convenient from NYC

This is my first time travelling with my little one, so I want to make sure we pick the right place. Thanks in advance for your input!
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:30 AM

you can fly nonstop from jfk to provo, turks & caicos on jet blue. not a cheap flight.
grace bay beach is fantastic for little ones. always calm, sand never gets hot to touch, has gradual entrance and is oh so soft.
excellent dining options. all but a couple welcome kids.
lots of hotel options & many with condo style rooms. in particular royal west indies is mid range but has screened porches which can be so useful when your little one naps & goes to bed early.
the somerset is another place you might like.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:44 AM

Agree, Providenciales (the main island in the Turks & Caicos) will be perfect for you - relatively short non-stop flight from NYC area airports, lots of condo style family oriented resorts, fantastic 11 mile long white sand beach (Grace Bay - where you'll find 98% of the resorts in the T&C's located), with calm waters. Plus you'll have access to plenty of restaurants (both on/off resort) that are family friendly.

Besides RWI and Somerset check out Ocean Club and Ocean Club West. If those don't meet your standards or budget there are plenty more places to pick. A simple google search for "Where to stay on Provo" will give you lots of links.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 06:39 AM

Another vote for Provo. Has everything you're looking for, and one of the best beaches for toddlers anywhere.

If you give us a budget we can help narrow resort choice down.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:40 AM

Provo or Grand Cayman (7 Mile Beach)
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great ideas!! We haven't set a budget yet, but I would hope for an all-inclusive in the $2000 range (give or take for 4 nights). We could go up a bit in price if it was really worth it. While I want to be economical, we don't take that many trips anymore since the baby was born, so I am ok with splurging a bit if it's really worth it
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM

Provo itself is worth it, and all the resorts are nice.

How many nights? Makes a difference
Including air? Makes a difference

FYI Provo is not a typical AI kind of place, and the 2 you could take a baby too are ultra expensive.

Other than that, Provo is probably the family friendliest island in Caribbean.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:52 AM

Sorry, you said 4 nights.

Just the 2 of you?
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have experience with Beaches Turks & Caicos?

Also, just curious - does anyone have any thoughts on the Atlantis in the Bahamas or separately Aruba? I am hearing that the Atlantis is very child friendly, but it seems to get mixed reviews. Also, seems Aruba may be a good fit, but don't know much about it.

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! To answer your question, yes, just the 2 of us with our baby. The $2000 budget is 4 nights at the hotel, not including air. I haven't checked out airfare yet, but if the air is really expensive, it could swing our budget for hotel down a bit. Appreciate everyone's help! I'm getting excited
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM

Atlantis is much better when baby is older to take advantage of all the water park and activities.

Beaches is over your price range. It is one of the nicest AIs and they do have Sesame Street characters.

If you want AI, some islands are better know for that, but it also narrows your choices.

Most AIs are in Mexico, Dominican republic. There are a couple in Jamaica and Bahamas maybe a couple in St. Martin and Aruba, but only the first 2 are considered typical AI islands. (especially in your price range, $500 nightly for AI doesn't get you far)

What Turks and Caicos gets you if you forget AI, are excellent restaurants, one of the kid friendliest destinations in Caribbean, and the worlds most gorgeous beach. It is not known for AI. Beaches is nice, but it's busy, has a water park, and quite frankly probably over your budget, it is an expensive destination.
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:47 AM

Please send the names of the resorts with screened porches. I also will be brining a 20 month old to T&C next feb.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:15 AM

We went to Aruba in March with our 5 and 7 year old children and stayed at the Tam/Divi resort ( actually stayed on the Tam side). We really enjoyed it as the beach was wide, uncrowded and beautiful and between the two resorts there were two pools and several restaurants. You can use all facilities at both resorts and it's all inclusive which made it very easy with the kids. It is a very child friendly place. I would not hesitate to return for another family vacation. I have heard that Aruba has excellent medical care and there is a hospital near the resort. We did not need it but it's nice to know it's there. When we traveled to France with out 18 month old, she got an ear infection so I understand your concern.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:38 AM

Erin,
Check out the Ocean Club resorts in Provo for family friendly hotel with screened in porches