ANTIGUA-Leaving next week -Pinapple Beach with kids-Advice Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a chance at a last minute trip to this resort with our kids (age range 7-14). While Jolly Beach looks more child orientated, we'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken their family to Pineapple Beach. Any advice would be great (Example: Do you really not tip or do the staff expect it?)

We've never stayed at an all-inclusive before, but think it might be a good "no-brainer" holiday where the adults can chill out watching the kids play. "Another pina colada darling? Why thank you, I think I will."

PS If you really think we would be better off at Jolly Beach, tell us why.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Anyone out there?
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:19 PM

I've never stayed at either Pineapple or Jolly Beach, but I've seen both of their facilites, and when i'm in Antigua I stay at the hotel just up from Pineapple, Long Bay Hotel. From my own personal preferences, I think you made the right choice. Long Bay beach is great--gentle waves protected by the offshore reef that provides good snorkeling. (I've seen rays, an eel, baracuda, parrot fish, etc.) The a la carte menus sound pretty good there, and their main pool is quite nice. beach is never crowded in front of the hotel or on the entire stretch, as it is shared only by the Long Bay hotel. I'd definitely do a catamaran trip, too!

The only drawback to Pineapple is that it's on the secluded side of Antigua. I understand that one trip into St. John's is included in the price, so definitely take them up on it. You nmight also want to rent a car on site for more island exploring. Jolly Beach is more in the thick of things on the west coast, but I don't think you'll greatly miss what little action there is there if you're looking for a family vacation. (Again, just my opinion. I prefer the less touristed side of Antigua.) Have a great time!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, ejcrowe. We're certainly looking forward to our mini-break. i'm glad to hear about the nice water and snorkelling, my youngest loves that.
Where do the catamaran trips go to? I was thinking to check them out, but am worried we'd be putting the kids on a 'booze cruise'!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:54 AM

I'm not sure where the PIneapple's cats go sailing, but I'm pretty sure they offer that opportunity on their website. Last month a large group of friends and I chartered a cat for a 1/2 day sail and we went to Great Bird Island off the north coast for snorkeling. Snorkeling was great! And since it was just a group of 20, it didn't have a booze cruise feel. We ran into one of the company's other cats at the beginning of the trip and it was packeed to the gills with people of all ages, so I assume that it was a good representative of the usual crowd they get on their boats. I can tell you that we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food on board. I opted for the vegetarian entree that you have to request ahead of time and it was a yummy veggie curry roti. Rest of the food was quite good, too.