Search

St Croix Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 07:36 AM
Amy

St Croix Questions

Hi, we are going to St Croix the first week of Feb. We are staying at the Comorant. <BR> <BR>We have several questions: <BR>1) Can anyone recommend a reputable, friendly Buck island snorkeling boat to take? <BR>2) We are interested in going on the rainforest horseback ride - also wondering about reservations and who to go with. <BR>3) Looking for cheap - good local food restaurants. <BR>4) Also, any grocery stores to do a little shopping, we will have a condo. <BR> <BR>5) Has anyone taken a tour of the rum factory? Comments.. <BR>Thanks - those are our questions, but we will accept any first hand experiences. <BR>Amy

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 06:02 PM
Linda

Hi Amy, <BR>We stayed at the comorant a couple of years ago. It was nice, we had the condo right on the ocean. <BR>You will have a great time!

Old Jan 1st, 1999, 11:35 AM
Karen

We are going to St Croix, staying at the Cormorant Beach Club in a week. I have pages and pages of info: restaurants and reviews, sights, activities, etc. Email me if you're interested and I'll send you more unverified info than you want! Haven't ever been so I'll let y'all know how it went when we get back in a couple weeks. <BR>

Old Jan 1st, 1999, 03:31 PM
Cheri

If you want to go to Buck Is. on a sail boat as opposed to a cat, try the Diva out of Green Cay Marina. The guy was really nice and it was a small group. I think there were 6 of us.

Old Jan 2nd, 1999, 06:22 AM
Amy

Karen-I can't believe it - 1 week! I bet you are excited. That would be great if you would send ANY info that you have. Thanks tons. When you get back I would love to hear about your trip! Thank you. <BR> <BR>Cheri-Thanks for the buck island info. -I think our little group of 4 would like a small boat like that. I will share with the rest. Thank you for writing. <BR>Sincerely-Amy

Old Jan 5th, 1999, 07:46 AM
paul

Spent Dec 21-29 at Chenay Bay. There are large grocery stores in Sun City which is about 15-20 minutes from Christiansted. There is a nice food store at Schooner Bay called the Schooner Bay mart. Very upscale. Nice wine selection. I did not do Buck Island. We hired Belinda charters and they took us to a nearby reef that was absolutely wonderful. There are no cheap restaurants. Cheeseburgers in Paradise was really good. I had a great meal at Trivoli Gardens and heard tons of good stuff about Kendricks. The Club Commache is suppose to be inexpensive but I did not go there. <BR>Don't eat the wahoo!!!

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 06:53 AM
TED

We stayed in Saint Croix for a week in November and we loved it. We rented a villa at Buccaneer Estates and cannot wait to get back. <BR> <BR>We went on the Buck Island trip operated by Dive Saint Croix. It was fine. I also heard that Blackbeard's does a good job. <BR> <BR>I didn't like Cheeseburger in Paradise and I thought it was overpriced and super buggy--I was slapping my arms and legs more than eating. Nolan's is neat. He is an Indian fellow who specializes in conch. The food was inexpensive and the service was very good. The restaurant (it really looks more like a bar) is located on the road between downtown Christiansted and the Buccaneer Hotel. It would be on your left side heading east towards the Buccaneer. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>TED

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 07:16 AM
TED

I also neglected to mention the restaurant "Indies" in Christiansted. It was superb. Also try the night club next door "Club 54".

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 05:08 AM
Amy

I want to thank everyone for the great information. We are really excited about the trip. <BR>-Amy

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 05:48 PM
Karen

We got back from St Croix the 16th. My family had to kidnap me to make me come home! Such a wonderful island! Fine, fine people, good food, beautiful beaches. Sis said the diving was great. The snorkeling at Buck Island was rough but I don't think it's always like that. The boat, Diva, and her captain, Francis, took us to the little island. His reputation is well deserved. He's a real hero! Tivoli Garden in Christiansted is a super restaurant. Kendricks was just ok but the courtyard setting is very romantic. See the Bontanical Garden, Whim Plantation and lovely Fredericksted on the west end. Definitely go east to Point Udal for a look, SOOooo beautiful! The road is paved all the way out now so an ordinary car can get there easily. The views all over the island will bring tears to your eyes. <BR> <BR>We stayed in a condo at The Cormorant. Ask for the Danish building. You can't park right out front but it's just a half minute walk and the Danish condos are the only ones with oceanview. I think all the single rooms twixt the condos and the main buildings face the beach though. I can't say enough good things about the place or the people. We got in 10 hours late, in the middle of the night, (thank you AA) but I'd called the resort from Puerto Rico and asked them if they could have something for us to eat. They gave us sandwiches and drinks, gratis, to make up for our horrid trip - sweet, sweet. There's fairly good snorkeling out the cut at the main beach. It's only a few feet deep and there's a current to be wary of but there're things to see. <BR> <BR>We didn't get done all we wanted to. (Do we ever?) I'm going back though, to be sure. I want to live there someday. <BR> <BR>Blah, blah, blah! HAHA! You're gonna love it! Karen