Search

Honeymoon Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Help

Hello - I am planning a surprise honeymoon for early May 2016 for 8-9 days. As you all know, this process can be very overwhelming. We are in our late 20s and would like to do something nice, but don't want to break the bank given grad school loans, future house purchase, etc. In total, I would be fine with spending ~$8k. I have a lot of Southwest points, which could save us money as Southwest flies to Puerto Rico. A lot of flights to Caribbean islands seem to route though San Juan. We are looking for place where we can sit and relax (and de-stress from work and wedding planning), but at the same time have some activities such as sailing and hiking. Below is a list of the “wants” “want to avoid” for the trip:

Wants:
1. Nice beach with clear water
2. “Romantic” feel of room/resort
3. Activities (sailing, hiking, water activities)
4. Some type of terrain (looking to avoid the completely flat islands)
5. Moderately remote location (looking to avoid the mega-resorts like Sandals, etc., but would still like to stay at a resort with restaurants)
6. Good food/wine
7. Ability to safely explore the island if we choose

Want to avoid:
1. Big, mega-type resorts (Iberostar, Sandals)
2. Very long and/or overnight flights

I always thought that Europe would be our honeymoon location, but seems less than ideal given that we only have 8-9 days and that we would rather not be moving/traveling a lot during those 8-9 days. Also, I unfortunately had to veto dream locations such as Tahiti, Fiji and even Antigua given the long flights. I can’t find a flight to Antigua from the Midwest that doesn’t require an overnight stay in Miami.

I have narrowed my choices down to the BVI, St. Lucia and Barbados:
1) BVI – seems like the perfect choice, but only concern involves lack of luxury-type rooms. I seem to have narrowed my choices to 7 days at either Rosewood Little Dix Bay or Peter Island, and then another two days at a condo/villa rental with a private pool. I really, really like the option of exploring different islands, hiking, sailing, clear water and good food.
2) St. Lucia – would be interested in splitting time between two resorts. I have looked at Cap Maison and Calabash Cover (6-7 days) and Ladera or Sugar Beach (2-3 days). Big concern here is the lack of quality beaches and the safety. Also, from what I have read, seems like it may be a bit crowded?
3) Barbados – do not know much other than this island has beautiful beaches and great people. Concern would be lack of activities (i.e. hiking).

My wildcard is the new Mukul Resort in Nicaragua. I know it sticks out from the other three above, but mix of beach, jungle, food and luxury rooms (private pools) seems very appealing.

If anyone has advice or experience at any of these locations and resorts, your input would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 11:15 PM

First, while you might be able to use your SW points to get to San Juan you may find airfares/ferries to other islands could add significantly to your travel costs so check that out carefully BEFORE your finalize your plans.

Your 8.5k budget should work for Little Dix Bay in May but you will incur the cost to fly or ferry from SJU to Virgin Gorda but it probably won't be a deal breaker.

Little Dix Bay is perfect for what you are seeking. It is one of the best resorts in the Caribbean.

For what it is worth, I have a home in the Caribbean and we go to LDB often for romantic getaways.

Look no further, it has everything you want.

One last point, most Caribbean villas rent by the week so it may be difficult for you to find one that is available for 2 or 3 nights. That said LDB does have a couple of rental villas but they are expensive and may not be worth the added costs for just 2 people.
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

RoamsAround - thanks for the reply. Have you spent any time at Peter Island? Also, do you recommend the dining plans at LDB? Appreciate your help.
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 12:05 PM

Yes, I've been to Peter Island but I find LDB much better. The drawback to PI is that it is the only thing on what is a relatively small island (only a few hundred acres in area, half of which is inaccessible). If you want to get off the island you have to take the PI launch to Tortola then a ferry to get to any other island or go by private charter boat (expensive) from PI to other islands.

Go to PI if you'll be content to spend all your time on that island and eating all your meals at the resort.

Regarding meal plans - you'll need it at PI as there is no other place to eat on the island but at the resort. FYI- it will be very costly for you to travel to other islands to dine.

Whether or not you get a meal plan at LDB or any other resort is a personal choice. I like to experience a wide variety of dining when I travel so I rarely opt for a meal plan. Virgin Godra has lots of dining options so opt for thermal plan at LDB only if you don't want to dine around the island.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 01:17 PM

I am a St. Lucian resident in Canada and I visit often with my wife. Reduit Beach, St. Lucia's best, is NOT overcrowded. Depending on the time you have you can split yourselves between absolutely stunning and romantic Soufriere for a few days, then stay in the Rodney Bay area in the north. There you will find Reduit Beach and excellent restaurants etc.

You may want to visit my site which has pictures and a lot of information that may help you decide. I have had honeymooners stay in Soufriere then my rental condo on Reduit. If you go to my site you will also see reviews about the area etc.
If interested, go to www.vrbo.com and use id#564559.

Good luck.