Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

st.martin/ blue bay resort on orient beach-need opinions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 08:40 AM
leslie

There are about 4-5 couples going to the Caribbean in mid Jan for a fun/ exotic/ romancic/ casual holiday. We are only interested in all inclusives for this trip, and thought in our budget (1300/p.p.)we would only have the choice of cuba, dom.rep. , or Jamaica. <BR>We just seen in a travel brochure, a place going all inclusive in Oct. located in St. Marten,orient bay/beach. The resort is called Blue Bay Resort or something Blue Bay. <BR>Any recommendation/ opinions on this area of St. Marten,the resort, etc. would be greatly appreciated. WE will be booking our trip at the end of October at the latest to get early book bonus's. Thanks.

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 04:01 AM
Laura

Leslie, I saw the same resort yesterday <BR>in the Sunquest brochure and thought it <BR>looked wonderful. I too am thinking of going there this winter. It seems to me that I saw that same resort in brochures last year, but under a different name. I guess it was bought by new people and refurbished, so I don't think there will be many people who have been there under the new ownership yet. <BR> <BR>Laura

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 04:15 AM
Laura

Hello, it's me again. I just did some research and found out that this resort used to be called Hotel Mont Vernon. Perhaps you should post a message about that resort and someone could tell you what it was like. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Laura <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 06:03 AM
Cassie

If this is owned by the same corporation that owns the Blue Bay Village and Blue Bay Club in Cancun, then you will be looking at a good deal. I spent a week at the all-inclusive Blue Bay Village in Cancun this spring and thought it was one of the better places I had used in Cancun. Nice meals, great staff, and Orient Beach in St Martin is one of the best. I'd go for it - I love the all-inclusive concept and hardly ever go anywhere that isn't all-inclusive. I been to at least half a dozen all-inclusives thruout the islands and have never had a BAD experience, altho obviously some are better than others. Blue Bay as a company though has a gold star in my book, and if you choose it, I'd love to hear what you thought about it, cause I might like to go there too. <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 08:56 AM
Gail

Also saw this in the sunquest brochure - we went there in Jan.'98 when it was the Mt. Vernon. Look under that title - it was a great beach and location. We are probably going back to this one in Jan'99 - our travel agent told us they are not taking reservations until the construction is completed. Have you made reservations? <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 10:36 AM
Leslieagain

Hi, no we haven't reserved yet,,,but i like the look of it. There is a bunch of us going -so everyone likes diffent places. Heard some negative stuff about Dominican Rep. which was 1 of our other choices. Also, one other resorts we are considering is Allegro Lugana in :"Margarita Island" -what do you think? <BR>Is Margarita Island a nice safe clean island and does it compare with ST. MARTIN? I know it is just off mainland Venezuela near Columbia???

Old Sep 6th, 1998, 01:38 PM
Kathy

Hello - I also heard of the Mount Vernon. It was recommended by my travel agent. I will be traveling with a few friends (we are in our thrities) and are looking for a location that will have other single guests. Is St Martin the places? Dutch or French? Mount Vernon or not? What do you know of the nightlife and beaches? Please advise. <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 07:36 PM
Anna

The beach at Orient Bay is absolutely gorgeous. The water is a beautiful blue, a perfect contrast to the white sand. We spent an afternoon at the beach and took a cab back to the Phillipsburg on the Dutch side, it only cost $5 per person which we felt was quite reasonable for the length of the trip (at least 20 minutes). <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 1998, 08:41 PM
Cheryl

<BR>Leslie, <BR>Try a villa for the most economical and gracious living vacation. Suggest SEA SYMPHONY in Barbados. Was there with 12 family members and we had a BLAST ! You have a staff (cook,maids,etc); your own pool, beach, transportation, TV,VCR etc etc. Great bargain for large group. We did in for under $1200 per person including food ! Email me if you are interested in more details.

Old Sep 13th, 1998, 08:46 PM
Cheryl

<BR>PS <BR>I have stayed at the Sunquest/Mont Vernon. The beach is lovely but I remember having to walk upstairs for our suite and fairly great distance to reach the dining room or beach facilities. Room/Suite was nice but nothing fancy.

Old May 17th, 2000, 06:38 PM
Shanna

Leslie- I have only been to one Blue Bay resort and it was in Costa Rica. It was a very good value for the price. The people were great and the resort was well maitained. We had a wonderful time. I would not hesitate to stay at another Blue Bay Resort.

Old May 19th, 2000, 11:13 AM
Shar

Leslie - We were in SXM in FEbruary (on a sailboat) We anchored for the night on Orient Beach and walked to the Blue Bay property. It is on one end of the beach and unfortunately it was the only spot on the beach that had rocks and seaweed. Now you can get away from that by walking off the Blue Bay property and setting up on the rest of Orient Beach that is beautiful sand and water. You might try http://traveltalk.com/cgi-bin/talkth...rib/sxm/travel Go back through some old posts they have talked of Blue Bay numerous times. Some people have liked it - others did not like the hill to walk and seaweed and there have been remarks made about rude wait staff. We also stayed at the Blue Bay in Costa Rica a few years ago and loved it. Have a great time no matter where you decide to go.