Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Are Day Snoorkeling Trips worth the Money???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Cheryl

Is it worth paying $105 each for a day snorkeling trip, including the Baths at Virgin Gorda, or is there enough to do and see on St John (as far as snorkeling)? If not, would it be better to just take a ferry to Virgin Gorda to see the Baths and are the Baths worth it?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Island Girl

Is this your first time on St. John? I think there would be better, less expensive trips to take. It would be a shame to go all that way (to the BVI) and not get to see more of the islands. If the snorkelling trip just takes you to the Baths I would say it's pricey just to see a bunch of large rocks.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Cheryl

Island Girl,<BR>It is our first trip, we will be there for a week. I was curious as to whether it is worth visiting any of the BVI's. My husband and I really enjoy snorkeling and it sounds like there is plenty to do on St John, I was loooking for something special to do for his 40th birthday. I did think it was a bit expensive. Any other suggestions? Is there a different island you would recommend for a day trip/ Thanks for your help.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Island Girl

It's definitely worthwhile to visit the BVI's while you are in St. John. Jost Van Dyke and Tortola are the closest. You could take the ferry to either one. (Although many people will argue that Tortola is the least appealing of the BVI's and for a day trip, they are probably right). You could also take the ferry to Virgin Gorda, and arrange for a taxi tour that includes a stop at the Baths.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:43 AM
Diane

I took a $100+ trip on a four island BVI, which included The Baths, snorkeling excursion from St. Thomas on my first trip to the Virgin Islands. It was a great, fun trip, and most definitely worth the money. The Baths are incredible - not just a pile of rocks. Our trip guide gave most interesting information about the Baths, and I felt it was fascinating.<BR><BR>My sister and her husband visited the Baths independent from a tour, and did not enjoy them near as much as I.<BR><BR>On my last trip, we took a 4 island BVI snorkeling trip, that did not include the Baths, from St. John with Captain Cathy Packo. The snorkeling sites were outstanding. It too was a great trip.<BR><BR>My personal philosophy is that I am a visitor to the islands, thee pros know the best places to go, and do a great job with getting people to the best sites because it is a means to their earning a living. I also feel that it costs me a great deal of money to get and be there, and I hate to miss anything because of not spending the extra dollars.<BR><BR>The boats accomodated 6 - 14 people, and although we started the day as strangers, we parted as friends. This definitely added to the experience.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Island Girl

If it's a four island snorkelling tour, then I would say it's worth it.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 01:11 PM
ctay122

Diane,<BR><BR>Do you remember the name of the company you used for either trip? I think we are booked on a tour company called New Horizons. Your help is appreciated!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Tom Baker

We went last week with Al Day and New Horizons II. Great trip!! We had 10 people on the boat and had plenty of room. Stopped at the Baths and Cooper Island with some snorkeling in between. Also did a daysail with Sharon Allen on the Winifred which was just in between St Thomas and St. John. We anchored off St. John and snorkeled. Great time!!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:35 PM
beverly

hi cheryl- we have been to st john twice, the second time for 18 days. we never got bored or ran out of snorkeling places to go to on st. john. it is an amazing place. don't miss hamilton's island tour to really get a feel for the island. he is cool and the rum punch is a plus! have fun!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Diane

I did use New Horizans. I believe the boat may have been the New HorizansII. It included the Baths, Van Jost Island, a brief stop inSpanish town, and one other place that I do not remember. We also stopped for lunch at a very nice restaurant, ate in our swim suits. We did pay for our own lunch. I thought everyting was great. Glad to see you are considering it and hope you have a terrific time.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 02:48 AM
ctay122

Thanks to everyone who answered my question, I am really looking forward to the snorkeling!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:30 AM
pete

We booked a $100pp trip to the BVIs on Stormy Petrel, it was a powerboat that took 10 people, plus a captain and a mate. For that amount, we got all you could drink (sodas, liquor, beer & wine), lunch, snacks, and all-day snorkeling. We headed out from St. John around 9am, went to Tortola to go through customs on BVIs, then went to the Baths to snorkel (really neat place, it's not "just a bunch of rocks"--well worth the trip whether you do it independently or as part of a day trip), then went to Norman Island for lunch, then another spot to snorkel, then back to St. John. I would definitely do it again. It was such a small group that we got to stay as long as we wanted in some spots, and could "tailor" the trip. The pluses are the sodas, snacks, beer etc. (don't have to cart them around yourself), snorkeling equipment provided, takes you to Tortola to go through customs, then straight to the baths (you would have to take 2 ferry trips to do this). All this maximized the time for snorkeling and minimized the administrative time and transit time to get from one spot to another.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:32 AM
Andrea

I took a snorkeling tour of the BVI, including The Baths, about 6 years ago (I believe on New Horizons II). It was the BEST DAY OF MY LIFE and worth every penny. Do it!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:03 PM
mike

We're going to take a day trip to BVI and are stuck between New Horizons II &amp; Stormy Petrel. Anybody have a preference between the two? Differences, etc?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:36 PM
Cathy

As much as I love St. John, I would splurge and go on the Virgin Gorda trip. The Baths are beautiful and the other snorkeling stops are good. One of the best snorkeling experiences I have had was a trip to islands in the BVI. Shop around and go with the best operator who will have a small, intimate group of people and will allow you the most time at each stop.<BR><BR>I would do the trip. With a week in St. John, you still have plenty of time to explore around the island and go to other snorkeling stops.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:40 PM
Julie

Mike--we had a similar dilemma when we went to STJ last year. I made some notes when I was researching and here's what I recall. I believe the New Horizons is a slightly larger boat and takes slightly bigger groups (15 or so?). I believe someone also said it's a bit faster than the Stormy Petrel. I think the biggest difference is that New Hroizons goes to the Soggy Dollar, which is a semi-famous beach bar on Jost Van Dyke. The Stormy Petrel sticks to snorkeling, lunch and the Baths. We ultimately chose the Stormy Petrel (usually groups of around 8-10) because we didn't care about going to a bar--just wanted to snorkel and enjoy the natural sights. It turned out to be the best day of our vacation. We made friends with all the other couples on the boat and had a blast together. <BR><BR>Don't worry--I've heard only good things about both trips so I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter which one you choose.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:06 AM
Coconut

Hi - We actually stayed in Tortola and took a day sailing trip (to Virgin Gorda and the Baths, Norman Island, and the Dogs) and it was THE BEST DAY on our trip. I've been to St. John and it is wonderful, but it is really neat to get off the island and see the others too. I would suggest going on a day trip. But, I'd also suggest trying to find a company that will take you to more than just the Baths for $100 (seems a bit much). Our full 8-hour day trip was less than $100 and included a wonderful lunch, all you can drink alcohol and sodas, snorkeling gear, and riding on a wonderfully restored sail boat. <BR><BR>If you can find a place in St. John that uses a sail boat as opposed to a motor boat, I'd recommend doing that. It was so wonderful sailing between the islands - we've always done motor tours before. <BR><BR>You'll have a great time though no matter what tour you choose to do. The islands are so beautiful from the water and it is so relaxing!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:33 AM
fyi

From St. John you'll power boat to Virgin Gorda but you can sail to Jost on a day trip. The Blast is another option from St. John. On the New Horizons that stops 4 different spots, you have very little time to really explore each stop and it seems a shame to wind up eating at Pussers on Marina Cay altho it is an interesting little stop to see the cay and the resort there. You may also want to check out MS Cinnamon Bay, the old Rockefeller yacht for snorkeling or with the staff at Caneel Bay who do an excellent job of snorkeling trips especially off Lovongo and Congo Cays.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:54 PM
info

I would thoroughly recommend a &quot;sail&quot; rather than a power boat excursion. There's a plethora of sails available from your basic all-inclusives which have open bar, a nice gourmet lunch and all accessories for snorkelling. lounging, etc. The reason I recommend a &quot;sail&quot; is that there's nothing quite like sailing where the wind goes through your hair - you're sailing through some of the most beautiful waters in the world with no engine noise or fumes. And you're catered to most delightfully with as much or as little attention as you may desire.<BR>I assume that you're staying on St. John? Honestly I don't know too much about the charters available on that island. I'm based on St Thomas and could give you a number of great personal recommendations for wonderful daysails.<BR>The whole charter business is very competitive and the majority of charter captains work very hard to ensure their spot in the wide market, so just do your homework, call or e-mail those in which you might be interested and go from there.<BR>I can't emphasize enough that a trip through the islands on a daysail - either by powerboat or sailboat - is one of the most awesome experiences you'll have.<BR>Sorry not to be more specific! <BR>Whatever you choose, enjoy your stay!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:15 PM
GM

Cheryl, DEFINITELY worth it, and more times than not, refreshments are included, snorkel gear included, and it's an all day excursion.<BR><BR>Hubby dives/snorkels, and we went on a Yacht Charter that went to the Baths, THEN snorkeling out to Norman Cave, the Indians, and 2 other stops (forgot the names) this year. He was a happy li'l snorkeler, while I stayed in the yacht (don't dive, snorkel OR swim) and he LOVES St. John for the snorkeling/diving there. The yacht held only 20 people, had a bathroom, had a hand-held fresh water shower at the back of the yacht to get off the salt water, and was very professionally done.<BR><BR>Don't miss out, do it if you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -