Scenic short road trip Vancouver-Rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ll be in Vancouver in June 2012 and would like to visit the Rockies. I have seen quite a few itinerates online but all have been for fairly long trips. I have about 6 days and plan to hire a car in Vancouver, visit the sights along route and drop off the car before flying back to Vancouver. Can anyone suggest the best route for this limited time, taking in the major highlights? I don’t mind which airport I end up at as long as there are flights back to Vancouver for my connecting London flight. I think Calgary might be best? Also should I pre-book accommodation en-route at that time of year? Thanks in advance
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM

Day 1 - Arrive Vancouver and take the scenic drive around Stanley Park (visit the acquarium there). If time permits go up Whistler on the gondola (only on a clear day).(overnight in Vancouver)
Day 2 - Drive Vancouver to Kelowna via the Coquihalla Hwy (overnight in Kelowna).

Day 3 - Visit the stunning Mission Hill Winery for one of the best views anywhere. From there drive up the scenic Hwy 97 following along Okanagan Lake (home to the Ogopogo...think Nessie from Lochness)and then onto Hwy #1 East, drive through to Lake Louise. (Overnight)

Day 4 - Lake Louise - Visit Moraine Lake (up the same road to Lake Louise) and then to Lake Louise itself. Allow a full 1/2 day to wander to the end of the lake or up to the tea house. Carry on to Banff (2 nights).

Day 5 - In the morning take a drive up to Lake Minnewanka (if the boat trip is running take the beautiful trip down to the end of the lake). In Banff go to the Cave and Basin to see where it all started (the National Parks) and where the hot springs were found (there is still steam that comes up from the ground, walk up the little trail). Afterward take the gondola up Sulphur Mountain (if it's clear, really spectacular views). Don't forget your bathing suit as a you can not miss a few hours in the Sulphur Mountain Hot Pool. Check out the beautiful Banff Springs Hotel

Day 6 - Drive to Calgary and wander the downtown along Stephen Ave, take in Prince's Island Park and Eau Claire Market or the fantastic new river walk from Eau Claire Market to Fort Calgary (if time permits). Then fly to Vancouver.

This is a realistic itinerary and can be done in the time you have allowed. Jasper is out of the question due to your time constraints.

I lived in Calgary for 47 years and was a Banff and Calgary tour guide.

Have a great time. I'm not sure if it's London, England that you're from but I'm off to London in 8 weeks, I lived in Oxford for a year. This is my 12th trip to London.

If you are from England then I know there is usually a top 3 things to see. A mountie (best bet Banff or Fort Calgary), a bear (the drive around the Minnewanka loop where in May and June you may see several bears but no guarantee) and an Indian (In know, native American)is at the Luxton Museum in Banff.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:16 PM

P.S. Banff and Lake Louise you may want to pre-book, Calgary should be okay. If you want something near the Calgary Airport there are several nice airport area hotels.

I don't know your budget for a hotel but Lake Louise and Banff can be very pricey. If you short list a few I can tell you which is the best of the hotels you are considering. The Mount Royal Hotel in Banff is quite nice and has parking but is right on the main street (Banff Ave) and has a wonderful history.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the very informative response Baxterpoo. I will actually be in Vancouver for 3 days before picking up the hire car so if I add another day onto the itinerary do you think I might be able to visit Jasper? Regarding accommodation, I’m not really after anything fancy, just somewhere for a good nights sleep. As long as it’s clean, safe and has private bathroom facilities that fine. I don’t tend to eat in the hotel so like to have options to dine nearby if possible. In Lake Louise I was thinking about Lake Louise Inn (just based on a quick scan of available options). Your recommendation for Banff, The Mount Royal Hotel, looks as though it fits my requirements perfectly.

Yes I live in London, UK. You must know it fairly well having visited so often. However if there is anything I can help you with, just ask.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

I was also wondering if driving west to east provides better scenery than east to west (i.e. fly to Calgary and drive back to Vancouver)? Also as I have 12 days in total, leaving aside a few days for the Vancouver vicinity (hopefully some whale watching & shopping), would it be worth extending the road trip to 7/8 days? Sorry for so many questions. It’s difficult to calculate the best use of time to get maximum benefit!
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Leave Vancouver after lunch so you will have the sun on your back while driving. (Note: Coquihalla is a toll road, high mounatin road, could get windy at times. Stop over night at Kamloops or Valemount (yoiu can make it all teh way to jasper if you liek driving but I would much rather drive the Valmount to Jasper in day light so you can enjoy the scenery)

Next stop would be Jasper. I would suggestion that you stay there for 2 days and explore the surrounding area.

Head south towards Lake Louise. With all the sights around Lake Louise, I recommend 2 days to explore the surrounding area.

Head south towards Banff and stay 2 days there. Option is to stay in Canmore and drive back to Banff area. Other option is spend a day at Kananaskis (extra day)

Depart from Banff and heads towards Golden/Revelstoke, then towards Kamloops.

day 1 Vancouver - Kamloops (or just a bit beyond)
day 2 Kamloops - Jasper
day 3 Jasper area
day 4 Jasper - Lake Louise
day 5 Lake Louise area
day 6 Lake Louise - Banff
day 7 Banff area
day 8 Banff - Godlen/Revelstoke/Kamloops
day 9 Kamloops - Vancouver

You can shoerten the trip by taking longer drives, i.e. starting early and ending later. You can also compress teh 4 days in Lake Louise Banff into 2 or 3 days (rather than 4)
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:18 PM

There hasn't been a toll on the Coquihalla now for several years.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 03:05 AM

krp329 - glad you mentioned the vanished tolls. I was hesitant to say that was the case; last year we took the Coquihalla on an extremely foggy night and wondered if we somehow drove right through them in the fog....
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 08:26 AM

I guess the toll was dropped in late 2008. It's been a while since I drove that strecth of road.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 09:25 PM

I like the itinerary suggested by Baxterpoo. Once on the Coquilhalla you will have the options of going the Kelowna route or the Kamloops route to continue your journey east to Lake Louise and then on to Calgary.

The Kelowna route is longer but takes you through rolling hills, orchards and vineyards, reminding one of Tuscany. Get an early start that first day as you will want to enjoy the marinas and beach walk along Lake Okanagan in downtown Kelowna. Quail's Gate ( with a lke view) and Burrowing Owl are other favorite wineries, both serving lunch and dinner.

The Kamloops way is more direct. Driving this route you could chose a night in Salmon Arm or Sicamous, both offering unique lakeshore vistas. Overnighting in Sicamous would make your drive to Lake Louise about 4 hours. I love to sit on the benches of the public wharf in Sicamous ( park at the round about) and watch the houseboats come in the channel that connects Mara and Shuswap lakes.)

Lake Louise to Banff is 30 min. Banff to Calgary, just over an hour.

IMO, adding Jasper to your itinerary will keep you in the car for too long.... time spent walking the trails in Banff, or visiting the Canmore Nordic Centre or Kananaskis will be more memorable.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your input. It has really helped me plan the trip.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM

AineTravel's questions are rather timely as my brother and his family are considering a trip to Banff as well from Vancouver. The difference is the timeframe as they are planning this for late April. While I know weather is unpredictable, is driving up to Banff from Vancouver easy to do, or is the wintry weather still a tricky thing to consider with icy roads in late Arpil? Any suggestions?

With a family of 5, it will be much more economical to rent a minivan and drive up, rather than fly to Calgary and drive to Banff. Could someone familiar with Banff give some indications on what to expect around late April? They have about 8 days to do this once in a lifetime trip since they are visiting from Asia.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 07:56 AM

April is still winter in the Rockies-plan accordingly.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 01:57 PM

It can snow anytime at the Rockies. I have come across snow in mid-June and mid-August