suggestions for a day in vancouver after alaskan cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard so much about the beauty of buchart gardens that I'm planning to spend a day on victoria island after an alaskan cruise. The boat docks 7 am on a sunday...any suggestions for itinerary for the day? Evening in Vancouver?
Thanks!
Oh - and is it worth spending another full day in Vancouver...I'm kind of tight on vacation days but I don't know when I'll have the chance again in the future.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Maybe we need some clarification...I take it that your ship docks in Vancouver at 7:00 a.m. and you're then planning to take the ferry over to Vancouver Island to visit the Butchart Gardens? (The city of Vancouver is on the mainland; Butchart Gardens are on Vancouver Island).

By the time you've taken the ferry to Vancouver Island and back you won't have much time to sight-see in Vancouver. Let me know if I've misunderstood your post. It's true that Canada Place, where the cruise ships usually dock, is beautiful and gives you a great view of the harbour and the mountains. There's also an excellent promenade along the waterfront which starts right at the cruise ship dock.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:17 AM

One day is really not enough to experiance Vancouver, though it is enough for Victoria. If it was me I'ld spend the two days in vancouver and skip Victoria this time. If you never plan on being this way again then I guess an overview of Vancouver taking tours, etc. could be done in a day and as the above post says you can easily do Victoria in a day.

However if Gardens are your thing Vancouver has them in spades. Vandusen, Park & Tillford, Queen Elizabeth, Sun yat Sen, Nitobe Memorial, etc. etc. that would take a few days alone to do. Butchard is better than any one of the above but cunulatively the above provide better specifics.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

okay, change of plans. I'll be arriving 3 days before the cruise...plan one day for victoria and two days for vancouver.
Any must sees and what's not worth the time?
Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Your change of plan makes sense.

Whereabouts are you staying in Vancouver? Will you have a car? (I don't think it's really necessary to have a car to see much of Vancouver, but it doesn't hurt, I guess.) With your answers we can suggest things for you to do in Vancouver.