Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Drive from Banff to Whitefish, MT - suggestions for stops?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I will be driving with my husband and two kids (11 and 12) from Banff to Whitefish, MT next month and was wondering if anyone could suggest any fun stops or things to see along the way to break up the drive. We have all day and are very much of the mindset that it's more about the journey than the destination (although we're looking forward to the destination as well!). We're up for anything of interest!

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a good 5 hrs of driving, not counting construction, congestion and delays at the border. So time for some stops, but you probably want to be across the border by late afternoon to avoid delays. Might help to check the online border crossing website to get a feel for when crossing times are faster and slower.

By far the fastest route is down through BC via Radium/Invermere/Cranbook. Plenty to do along that route - Marble Canyon (if accesssible), Radium Hot Springs, Paint Pots, lake stuff around Inveremre/Windemere. Alternately, adding a good hour, you could go via Hwy 22, which gives you a chance to see the foothills and places like Frank Slide/Crowsnest Pass.