Just beginning to research a trip to Quebec City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just beginning my research on a short trip to Quebec City. I haven't even ordered a travel book yet, but the first thing I need to know is about public transportation. We would fly into Quebec City and I need to know if one can get from the airport to the Old Quebec area by public transportation? Also, how easy is it to get around town by bus etc. I have looked enough that I know we'd want to stay in the Old Quebec area at a nice but moderately priced hotel. Any suggestions? I'm looking at a Frommer's travel book to buy. Usually buy Rick Steves, but don't see any by him. Is that as good as any? Thank you for any info.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 01:16 PM

Sue, I topped my trip report to give you some ideas.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I have read your trip report and have learned among other things that we need hotel reservations, and certainly time to spend strolling around the areas you spoke about. Sounds like a place we'd enjoy.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 03:06 PM

I am so glad it helped. Have fun!
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 04:00 PM

If you're good with walking, the Old City is eminently walkable, even in February (when we were there). And looking at a Frommer's book? For shame!

Hope you enjoy your trip

u
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 01:03 PM

I was in Quebec City and Montreal last August - both places are wonderful. QC is very small, compact and beautiful - very touristy. Most hotels in Old QC are central - really hard not to be. We stayed at the wonderful L'Hotel de Vieux on the main street. It was about a 20 minute cab ride to the airport. We took the bus from Montreal to QC and walked up the hill from the bus station to the hotel. You will love just walking around QC and enjoying the food. I suggest going off the main streets to side streets to find restaurants not crowded with tourists - but more locals. Always the best way to go, in my opinion. In the summer, Cirque du Soleil has a free show on Thursday nights (that was a nice surprise) under a bridge - about a 10 minute walk from main street. A drink at the Frontenac Hotel overlooking the water is highly recommended as well. ENJOY!
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. Laurie, we have also booked a little hotel in Old QC, and as you say it looks like we are right in the middle of everything in and around the ancient city walls. Thanks for telling me about Cirque de Soleii, I'll check with the hotel for the location of the show. From the response at the hotel, it appears the only way to get from the airport to Old QC is by taxi and it's a $35 set fee. I dislike taxi's, but guess that is how it is. Laurie, do you have a special restaurant off the main streets that you recommend?