Banff or canmore

Search

Banff or canmore

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banff or canmore

Budget conscious single female traveller (34) looking to stay six nights in either canmore or banff prior to a 14d tour that starts in Calgary and ends in Vancouver (goes via banff).

Question: accomodation in canmore is $400 cheaper than banff for the six nights. I'm interested in mountain biking (cross country rather than crazy up and downhill stuff) as well as sightseeing / walking. I have no issue with public transport and was considering just grabbing a bus to banff or riding the legacy trail on the days I want / need to go to banff. I was otherwise looking to go to moraine (sp) lake for a day trip and don't mind if it's a long day - tour doesn't go here and I've read good reviews about it.

Is canmore a good option or is banff worth the extra money on accomodation due to location?

Appreciate your help,
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

Or is lake Louise a better spot?
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 04:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It depends on your goal.

My approach has always been to stay inside the park. I've been to many US national parks as well.

I'm an amateur photographer so photographing wildlife is one of the things I do. Wildlife is most active early and late. So an extra 45 minutes is a problem.

Staying in Lake Louise is a problem since there are few good options and they're expensive. In Banff however, there are moderate choices.

You mentioned that your tour doesn't go to Moraine Lake. Where does you tour go?

While Moraine Lake is more beautiful (my opinion) than Lake Louise there isn't that much to do there (actually, there are a few hikes there but make sure you hike in a group). Park in the lot, walk up the path to the top of the Rock Pile and gawk (in a good way) at view. That is the view that was on the old Canadian 20 dollar bill.

I was in Banff & Jasper for 2 1/2 days last summer after a week in Glacier NP in Montana. I planned very carefully so we got a lot done in a short period of time.

At the start of August I'm taking my daughter there for 5 days. We'll spend 3 nights (though it's still possible to move the 3rd night to Lake Louise) in Banff and 2 in Jasper.

I have no idea what public transportation is like.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Welcome!

I agree that it depends on your goals, but I find Canmore to be an excellent alternative to Banff both in terms of cost and not being so touristy. In this case, the mountains extend well beyond the natioanl park boundaries, so it really doesn't matter whether or not you stay inside the parks. In fact, some of the tallest peaks (Robson, Assiniboine) are in provincial parks.

Canmore is still busy at peak times, but rarely as overwhelming as Banff. There's also a great new rec centre - $8 gets you into the pool/hot tub and $15 provides access to the full facility including gym and climbing wall. The full pass is available for $9 if you stay at the hostel.

There is some great mountain biking in and around Canmore - lots of trails from easy to hard, and several places in town that will rent bikes. Plus the hostels also have free or low cost rentals (at least in Canmore and Lake Louise). That said, it is in the mountains, so nothing is totally flat. Mountain biking wouldn't be mountain biking without the hills

I would caution that the Legacy Trail is a long bike - I'd use the Roam bus for regular transport between Banff and Canmore. You'd also need to find a shuttle up to Moraine Lake as the Greyhound or other shuttle buses only go the mall in the Lake Louise townsite. From there, it's a good 30-35 minute drive up to Moraine Lake. You may well be around during the larch season when they only allow folks up to Moraine Lake via shuttle bus.

I would look into one of the hostels, as they would provide good value, as well opportunities for bike rentals and to meet up with other travelers. September shouldn't be a tricky month for bookings, albeit weekends can be busy. The HI/ACC hostel in Canmore is a bit outside town (but right on all sorts of trails ), but is small with a quiet vibe. Dorms have up to 6 beds, though are not likely to be full.

For $80+ you can rent one of the bedrooms in the Boswell Cabin. Each room has a double and single bed, and two upstairs rooms share the downstairs which has a toilet, shower, kitchen and small common/living area. Plus a porch & BBQ with a heck of a view.

In Lake Louise, there is a large and friendly hostel that has both small (4-6 person, single or mixed sex) dorms and private rooms. It has a cafe, bike rentals, sauna, two kitchens and pretty common area with a large fireplace. I've not been to the HI Hostel in Banff, but have heard good things and it is similar to the one in Lake Louise.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 09:54 AM

kgs has given you some good advice. I was also going to suggest the Lake Louise hostel since you are travelling alone. The hostel used to get some poor reviews during the winter when it was filled with ski bums but I understand that it is a really enjoyable place to stay in the other seasons. It sure looks lovely.

We usually stay in Lake Louise since it is closer to the hikes we like to do, but it doesn't have a town like Banff does. I know travellers here have enjoyed staying in Canmore but they all had rental cars. Are you sure you don't want to rent a car?

I can't comment on public transportation but I think I would rent a car since you are staying a week.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies nod I'll look into all of the suggestions. Re car hire, i might still hire one but haven't really looked into it yet. If I find it is a viable option then I'll certainly do it - haven't driven on your side of the road before so usually look at other options first...I'd be the goober that gets in the passenger seat!

Cheers for your help
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 11:14 AM

I've only stayed in the Lake Louise Hostel during the winter, and found it quite pleasant. Probably a better time to stay there because it's usually not nearly fully booked so more peaceful.

My experience was that it was very quiet - and any noise is generally not an issue because the bunkrooms are well spaced from the common areas, kitchens and cafe. Frankly, the only problems I had with noise were from teenaged girls - hardly the typical ski bums!