Where to stay in Banff area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to celebrate our tenth anniversary next June and we want to go to the Canadian Rockies. Any recommendations for staying in Banff or Lake Louise, or Moraine Lake? Kiddies are staying home with grandparents, so we're excited to do more "grown-up fun" things, rather than kiddie fun. Any insight is much appreciated!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM
mdn

Could you tell us a bit more about what type of boarding you're looking for - price range, within city limits or a resort up in the mountains/lakes away from town etc.
At the high end, the Fairmont properties (Lake Louise and Banff Springs) are excellent... but they are big and aren't as cozy as a small luxury lodge or resort could be.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:42 PM

We're staying at Paradise Lodge in Lake Louise for our anniversary trip next month...I'll report back after our trip. I recommend that you check out the TripAdvisor site, where you will find lots of feedback on many different types of lodging. You may want to narrow down what types of things you want to do, then figure out the best base. We found that many of the hiking trails were near Lake Louise, so we chose it instead of Banff. However, Banff may be preferable if you want more restaurants and shopping options.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

We're looking for somewhat of a splurge, but nothing outrageous. Probably more inclined to be out of the city, with the option of driving to civilization for a really nice dinner or a little shopping. We love canoeing, kayaking, rafting, some hiking. I'd love to try horseback riding. I also love having a spa treatment... The glacier tours sound great, but I fear they are astronomical in cost. I've read mixed reviews of the Fairmont properties, and a recommendation (here or on another site, I'm not sure) for Moraine Lake Lodge, which looks spectacular. Would love to hear some more first hand reviews. Also, restaurant recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:20 AM
ltt

you might want to look into the rimrock in banff.
moraine lake lodge is very nice. quite out of the way of other things so if i stayed there, i'd plan on just enjoying that property/area.
post hotel in lake louise gets good reviews.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:04 AM

I've stayed twice at Paradise Lodge before in their Peyto Cabins and just love it. I like the location (1km from Lake Louise). It's now my spot in the Rockies. It's very cozy and the beds are sooo confortable (thick duvet and pillows) The bathroom has a nice claw tub... buy some candles at the grocery store...! There a well appointed little kitchen. However, you have the bigger hotels like the Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise, Rimrock, etc. I've stayed in all of them (I've been to the Rockies 9 times!), but I prefer Paradise Lodge.

Andie
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM

It's easy to find, but here's the website www.paradiselodge.com

Andie
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:18 AM

Oh, another one I just thought of...Storm Mountain Lodge, similar to Paradise Lodge. It's a bit out (in Vermillion Park, about 30 from Lake Louise on Hwy 93), but if you like wilderness rather than buzzling Banff, it's a nice spot too. Fireplace in the cabins...www.stormmountainlodge.com

Andie
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:02 AM

>>>>>>The glacier tours sound great, but I fear they are astronomical in cost.<<<<<<

I don't know which glacier tour you think is expensive. If you're referring to the ride in the Ice Explorer vehicle onto the Athabasca Glacier at the Columbia Icefields (about half way between Lake Louise and Jasper), it's something that every man and his dog does.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM

All the advice you've received so far has been valid.

My husband and kids have stayed at Moraine Lake Lodge and liked it. I was not with them, as I was away visiting my dad who was ill. My husband said that their experience of staying there was different from the other experiences we've had as day trippers.

Although the Moraine Lake parking lot really filled up during the day, as it always does, it did not bother them because they were out hiking. My husband said the area was magical in the evenings when the day trippers had left and in the early mornings before they'd arrived.

Another place for you to consider is Emerald Lake Lodge. It's in a secluded location, well set back from the parking lot that day trippers use.

The ultimate place to go, if you can afford it, is Lake O'Hara Lodge in Yoho National Park. It's very secluded because no one is allowed to drive there. You have to leave your vehicle in a parking lot just off the TransCanada Highway and catch a bus to the lodge. If you choose to stay there next June, you should make your reservations THIS summer.

Oh, another thing to warn you about ......... I don't know when in June you plan to visit the area. The road to Moraine Lake is closed during the winter. Its opening date varies from year to year. I've known it to open as late as mid-June. In recent years, I'm guessing because of global warming, it has tended to open about three quarters of the way through May.

But, even if the road is open, Moraine Lake itself looks awful at the beginning of June. It's between one half and a third full, and half of what water there is in it is frozen. It looks nothing like the turquoise gem one can see by mid-June. It's true that the ring of mountains surrounding Moraine Lake looks pretty even when the lake itself is not yet looking good. Still, at that time of year, a week or two can make a huge difference to the experience of viewing Moraine Lake.

The latter half of June and the month of September are the best times to dodge the bulk of the July / August tourists and yet still see the mountain lakes at their turquoise best, in my opinion.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM

We stayed at the Rimrock last week and absolutely loved the feeling of being out of town on the mountain, yet there is a shuttle bus to downtown that takes only 5 minutes and is free if you show your Rimrock room key. You are right at the base of the Banff gondola and hot springs. Rooms were big and views were terrific.

I looked around at Moraine Lake Lodge and I wasn't impressed with the units at all. They don't seem to be well kept and a bit too rustic. Unless they're really cheap, I think I'd lean toward the Rimrock in Banff instead.

Post Hotel is nice BUT you are right along the busy highway. The pictures make it look secluded, but the highway noise will probably remind you that it isn't.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:36 PM

Have stayed at both Post Hotel in Lake Louise and at Baker Creek Chalets several times(Baker Creek is about 20 minutes south of Lake Louise Village on Bow Valley Parkway). Post is luxurious and has a great restaurant; previous poster mentioned potential noise problem but never found noise to be an issue (though you should get a room on side away from parking lot).Baker Creek is more rustic (mainly individual cabins), less expensive than Post, and has a great restaurant. Suggest you check out their respective websites for more info.