Montreal 3nights/4days - enough time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of 5 (all adults) and I plan on traveling to Montreal in mid-August. We are planning to stay for 3 nights and 4 days. We would arrive in Montreal at 9am on 8/17 and have a flight leaving Montreal around 6:30pm on 8/20. So we would basically have 3.5 days there. Would that be enough time to reasonably enjoy the city and see most/all of it without being in a rush everyday?

We are HUGE foodies and are going there mainly to eat. Au Pied de Cochon, Schwartz's, bagels, and poutine are on our list of things to try. We also plan on visiting the Jean-Talon market. How far in advance should we make reservations at Au Pied de Cochon? Any other recommendations for food would be great. Since we're from Chicago and NYC, we're more interested in trying Montreal specialties and French/Quebecois food. Not so much interested in trying other ethnic foods unless there's something specific that stands out above what can be found in Chicago/NYC.

We're thinking of staying at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth. Is this in a good central location? Aside from food, we also enjoy shopping and would like to know what areas to go to for fun/unique shopping. Museums aren't really our thing, so this is less of a concern for us.

Basically just want to make sure that a 3.5-4 day trip is enough time to enjoy Montreal without feeling so rushed to explore the major neighborhoods.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Though you could spend a week in Montreal without getting bored, 3-4 days should be enough time to eat and shop your way through the city If you're not tied to museums or other places with limited hours, you could walk around many different neighborhoods in that time.

Jean Talon Market is open til 8pm on Thursdays and Fridays and I've gone grazing there instead of dinner.

The cheese shops and the Italian and Lebanese and Moroccan stores are all interesting, and I buy lots of gifts at the Quebec products only store. Premiere Moisson is a chain bakery, but pretty good. I always buy their raspberry jam. I like the little chocolate store across from the Quebec store, though there are other really great chocolatieres in Montreal.

Schwartz's always seems to have a line, but going at an odd hour--maybe 3-5 pm seems to work best for me. They expanded a while back and have an adjacent second store that's mostly for takeout but has a couple of places to eat in. But there's no fun in that! Wait in the line, sit at a cramped table with local hipsters and tourists who order way too much. And don't order something silly like turkey when you're there--only smoked meat, medium.

I think Gourmet magazine had a good article on Montreal a couple years ago. If I find it, I'll add a link here.

Other good shopping streets are some in the Plateau and surrounding neighborhoods. St Laurent a few blocke either way from Schwartz's has lots of ethnic and funky stores. A few doors away from Schwartz's is a small gournet shop (La Vieille Europa?) that's has Polish and other specialties (mostly packaged food). When I go with a few people, some shop ther while the others wait for Schwartz's.
St Denis has a strip of about 10 blocks filled with casual restaurants, design stores, more chocolate places. When I find the names and addresses, I'll add them here. And Thursdays and Fridays are "late nights" (8PM) for the stores here too. Sadly downtown and many other neighborhoods close stores around 5 or 6 even on Saturdays
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 06:32 AM

3 nights in Montreal will give you a good feel for the city. However we have been visiting Montreal for the past 20 years (just did 3 nights there), and are still uncovering new treasures. In my opinion, the best area for dining and shopping is the Plateau, which is centered around St. Denis from about Sherbrooke to Mt. Royal. Lots and lots of small, funky shops and restaurants - many are byob. Of course since you will be staying downtown, you will get to see the busy downtown with it's large department stores, underground malls, and busy restaurants. Plan on spending at least half a day exploring the small but very picturesque old city and waterfront area also.
Try and get a copy of the free Montreal tourist book distributed by bounjourquebec - it's very informative.
One of the ONLY things I don't like about Montreal are it's bagels!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 11:04 AM

National Geographic has a good short guide to dining in Montréal for all price ranges. They are all very Montréal in character.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...l-restaurants/

Try a hot dog from the Montreal Pool Room--a "stimé all-dressed". Its an institution. Perhaps not as good as a Chicago hot dog, but certainly distinctive to Montréal. BTW they haven't had a pool table for years.

At the top end, you really should have a meal at Toqué!
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

very belated, but thank you all for the responses. we will definitely be staying at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth and will be in town for 4 days, 4 nights.

the Jean-Talon Market is something we definitely plan on doing. could we buy food there (i.e. bread, charcuterie, cheese,etc) and eat at a nearby park? or is there seating areas around the market? also, are there hot foods or food stalls where we can buy cooked food? lastly, wondering if cheese and foie gras can be bought to take home to the States. i'm confused with the rules on that.

lastly, any good and cheap places for food around where our hotel will be? i don't think our hotel comes with complimentary breakfast, so we'll most likely need a good place to grab food in the mornings. thanks, and i'll keep posting if any other questions come to mind.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 10:12 AM

The Gare Centrale/Central Station is right underneath your hotel and it has a wonderful food court. For breakfast, there are many choices, but Première Moisson bakery is at the top of my list.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM

musicl1 - I hope you have a wonderful trip. Looks like you will be leaving in just a few days. We are also planning a trip at the end of September which will include several days in Montreal but we are not sure how long to spend and what location to stay. I'd love to hear your report on where you stayed, what you did, where you ate, etc. when you return. Have fun!
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM

The NYT had an article yesterday on Montreal:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/08/15...l/15hours.html
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 11:24 AM

musicl1,
Jean Talon has an indoor food court where you can sit at a
table with your produce, or buy a crepe, pizza, smoothie, etc from one of the food stalls. Although Montreal has lots of parks, there are none close by the market. I think there is no problem taking cheese and sealed foods into the US. Fresh produce and houseplants might be a problem.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Hi musicl1,

Yes, you can definitely get cooked food at the Jean Talon Market.

I too can't think of much in the way of parks immediately next to the Jean Talon Market. Although I highly recommend visiting the Jean Talon Market if possible, the ATWATER market is terrific too and a better place for your suggestion of picking up bread, meat and cheese and eating it on a green space (adjacent the Lachine Canal). The Atwater Market also has the advantage in that it's right on Lachine Canal bike path, so if you've rented a bike (Bixi is one option) in say Old Montreal and bike out to the Atwater Market, you have many LOVELY waterview choices accessible by bike path as to where you can have your bread/cheese/meat picnic.

Enjoy! Daniel