Search

Help with Victoria/Vancouver Trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:53 AM
ceg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Victoria/Vancouver Trip

Traveling from the US and is there any advantages to flying into Seattle and taking the ferry or driving to Vancouver or the other possiblity flying into Vancouver? We are planning on spending most of our time in Victoria and the island. Do we need a car in Vancouver?
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM

I made some recommendations of what to see in the other thread, "VANCOUVER....HELP!!!!"

It'll be alot easier to get around in a car as the Vancouver sights are a bit "spread out". It'll save time figuring out the bus schedules.

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:40 AM
BAK

You could rent a car in Seattle and have a very enjoyable drive from there to Vancouver and Victoria and back to Seattle.

Work out a circle; there's a car ferry from Victoria to Washington State.

Lots of people think that city tramsit works -- well, yeah, sort of and depeneding on where you go.

I used to be in Vancouver a lot -- mostly I wanted a car if I had much spare time, and even when I was in offices all day during the week, I rented or borrowed cars on weekends.

BAK
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:08 PM

It really depends on what sites you want to see in Vancouver. We stayed the first few night before our cruise farther away from the city but used the "train" without any problems. We also stayed downtown after the cruise and walking was very easy and enjoyable. Our first full day in town we took a bus city highlight tour. That might give you a better idea if there are places you want to visit more in depth that would require a car.

We flew in/out of Vancouver so I cannot help you with Seattle. We did a full day tour to Victoria and Buschart Gardens. I wish we had had a few more hours in Victoria but that will be for another trip! We loved the ferry ride

We easily grabbed a cab to get to Granville Island and they also have little boats that cross the water.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:44 AM

The wife and I are flying into Seattle, in May, since the airfare is half of flying into Vancouver from NYC. Our hotel in Seattle offers free bikes--so we'll spend the next day checking out downtown Seattle on bikes and then head 4 the border that late-afternoon. After Vancouver (city) we plan on ferrying over to V.I.
Enjoy....
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:39 AM

I vote yea for a car in Vancouver, even if you're going to spend no more than day. if you fly into Vancouver, renting a car is worth it.

The drive to Vancouver from Seattle is pleasant, and the cost of airfare is probably less than flying into Vancouver, but check out all airfares for possibilities. The exchange rate for US citizens is anemic now, so that may settle it.

I've done that route with my family: Seattle to Vancouver - ferry to Victoria -- ferry back to Vancouver - drive back to Seattle for flight back home. We rented a minivan and had a terrific trip.

it all depends on your personal preferences. The ferry ride was quite nice too, with scenic passage, but if you'd prefer not to spend so much time in car, and waiting in line for the ferries (you MUST have advance reservations or you risk waiting several hours for a spot on the ferry), then flying is your answer.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM

hi..you have a lot of options on how to get here..save time once there, rent a car..if you are planning to see victoria and have the time..another really wonderful place that is just a just a quick ferry trip away is salt spring market...great saturday market..wonderful ruckle park..also could trek up vancouver island and take a day to see long beach..tofino..uculet..the city of vancouver is on the mainland another ferry trip from van island..may want to reserve ahead..can be crazy in the summer..
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Stringer---
Do you thinkwe'll need ferry reservations in early May?
Also, from Vancouver City, what is the most convient way to ferry into & out of Vancouver Island? We will be seeing both: Victoria & Tolfino.
Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM

if you were heading from Vancouver to Tofino you'd want the Horseshoe bay /Nanaimo Ferry. If heading Vancouver Victoria you'd want Tsawassen/Sydney

Ferry reservations: depends on your tolerance for waitings . Many saill full esp on weekends. Ferry reservation is $15

Andrewdavid
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks A/D!