Reload this Page >

What is Canada Day-July 1?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 05:44 AM
p.young

My daughter and I will be in Toronto next week and following week. In fact, she will be dancing at the Irish Dancing Competition at Westin Harbor Castle on July 1. I just reada few posts down thatday is Canada Day. Excuse my ignorance, but what holiday is that and during that holiday do a lot of places close down (shops, restaurants)?

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 05:52 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi P. Young--- <BR> <BR>Canada Day is the day where Canadians celebrate being Canadian. If you're a US citizen, it's somewhat similar to July 4th, with plenty of flag-waving and outbursts of patriotism. Does it commemorate anything...i believe it was the day Canada made the transition from the Dominion of Canada to nationhood. Others may know better than I. <BR> <BR>Yes, some shops and restauratns do close their doors; however, you're bound to find some open also. <BR> <BR>DAN

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 07:00 AM
Gary

Actually Canada Day, originally known as Dominion Day, celebrates the day when Canada became a self-governing Dominion within the British Empire in 1867. Canada's full independance was a gradual process over the next century culminating with Trudeaus bringing home our constitution in 1983. I believe it was under Trudeau that the term 'Dominion' was exorcised from our vocabulary since it indicates subserviance to a greater force. Just for your further information, while the Queen of England is also recognised as the Queen of Canada,(more because we can't agree on what to replace her with than anything else), it in no way indicates any subserviance to the Queen or England. In fact Canadians are specifically prohibited from accepting titles from the Queen so no Canadian can be a 'Sir' or 'Lord'. that's probably more than you want to know but it is confusing to see a foreign Monarch on our money and still understand that we are as independant as the United States. <BR> <BR>I can't imagine any restaurant closing on Canada Day because of the great opportunity for business. Likewise most malls simply operate on Holiday Hours which usually mean opening around 11 AM and closing around 5:30, but why would you want to go to a mall when there is a plethora of carnival like events all over the place? Also, because July 1st falls on a sunday this year, July 2nd is also officially a holiday so again the malls will probably be on holiday hours.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 07:07 AM
p.young

Thanks for the history and the tourist info. We will probably be indoors watching dancing all day Sunday but good to know that holiday will be celebrated on Monday. Speaking of festivities for the holiday, since we are at Westin, anything happening down in that area. How about firework displays?

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 09:51 AM
Tanya

I seem to recall there is usually fireworks display from Ontario Place which is on the waterfront.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 08:01 PM
Brian Kilgore

Your hotel is next to the Harborfront recreational/park/shops area (think Southstreet Seaport or Fisherman's Wharf) and there will be many, many special holiday things to do and see. <BR> <BR>It will be crowded, and fun, and interesting. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR> <BR>