Halifax or Peggy's Cove Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and another couple will be in Nova Scotia mid-July for a long weekend and are undecided as to spend it in the city in Halifax or do a coastal thing and spend the time in the Peggy's Cove area. We'll be there the weekend of July 13th and I understand that that weekend is the Tall Ship weekend as well as a Jazz Festival. We're thinking that it will be crowded and that we're really interested in seeing the coast. If we do decide to do the coast....any suggestions? As to where to go and where to stay? Is there enough to do in Peggy's Cove for 3 days? None of us have been to Nova Scotia..........so do you think we'll be disappointed if we don't go to Halifax? Thanks for any help!

Marge
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:33 AM

Peggy's Cove is worth maybe an hour maximum. Over-run with tourists. Halifax is a very interesting city and I'm sure some of the NS experts will provide many more 'real' alternatives to Peggy's Cove.

Jerry
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM
LJ

Here is good news: you don't have to choose between the two. Peggy's Cove is less than 3/4 of an hour out of Halifax...you can do both without breaking a sweat.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
LJ

Jumping back in again. You will find the South Shore Light House Route of interest. It does kick off with Peggy's Cove (which does get overrun and may be VERY busy that weekend). But the route also includes Mahone Bay and Chester and Chester Basin and my own fave, Lunenburg. These are all small towns with their own claim to history and charm (and some of the best fresh sea food of the Eastern Seaboard, but thats another post...)
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM

Could you suggest good restaurants in Lunenburg and along the Lighthouse Route?
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM
LJ

Since you asked:

Halifax: FID (high end-inspired chef), Da Maurizios/BISH/Il Mercato (same owner-very dependable), The Hungry Chili, Five Fishermen and my own personal quirky fave (like stepping back 30 years) The Esquire (out on the Bedford Highway) for different treatments of fish/seafood.

Mahone Bay-The Innlet Cafe (touristy but pretty), The Biscuit Eater (a book store with EXCELLENT light fare (avoid the Cheesecake Gallery-way overpriced), also a very good bakery for on-the-go eating is LeHavers

Lunenburg- Fleur de Sel (simply superb, imaginative use of local ingredients, tremendous wine list), Trattoria della Nonna (who knew Lunenburg would be the place for great Italian?, The Knot Pub (local folks, local grub)

Good eating!
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LJ and Jerry for responding to me. I didn't realize that both areas were so close to each other. I've done some research on both Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, and they both look really interesting. I'm thinking maybe we'll stay there and maybe make a day trip to Halifax. Any suggestions for any places to stay in either Lunenberg or Mahone Bay? Thanks again.

Marge
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:59 PM

Great recommendations, LJ. Look forward to testing them out!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:38 AM
LJ

There is a website called stayinnovascotia.com that has been used by friends to find accomodation in Lunenburg area. We have family there so no personal reccos.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM
ltt

i'd consider 2 nights in lunenberg and one night in halifax. it may be busy but it really is a great city to see and walk around. i stayed at the waverley inn which was a great location for getting around.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM

I was in Nova Scotia in mid-June and I would also recommend the Waverley Inn in Halifax. Great location, great breakfast. If you don't have reservations in Lunenburg yet, I would highly recommend the Atlantic Sojourn B&B. I only drove through Mahone Bay, but I think there is more to see and do in Lunenburg.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 06:57 PM
mtjt

Hi - I've done 5 vacations in Nova Scotia and love it all, but if I had only a long weekend, I would stay in Halifax and do day trips. You can do Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in one day trip easily (Peggy's Cove is basically just a "scenic stop", worthwhile but doesn't need much time). Lunch and an afternoon in Lunenburg then back to Halifax for dinner. Another day trip you could head further down the Lighthouse Route, hit some of the scenic coastal fishing villages and some of the lovely off-the-beaten track beaches - great for strolling or picnic. That would leave you one whole day plus evenings in Halifax to enjoy their sights, dining and night life. The Harbour Area and adjacent downtown district are great.