Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Guide

Search

Nova Scotia Guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Jody

Nova Scotia Guide

Hi, I live in Halifax, NS, and would be pleased to answer any questions that anyone has about Nova Scotia. I have been almost everywhere in this province. Also I thought it would help people if I posted the web site for NS Tourism. It is http://explore.gov.ns.ca. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 07:20 PM
Bob Brown

The Nova Scotia web site is a good one. <BR>Also, the staff at the visitor/welcome center on the main road when driving from New Brunswick into Nova Scotia is very helpful. I used both services to plan a very nice trip in '97. <BR>I hope everyone that visits the province can enjoy their trip as much as I enjoyed mine.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 09:20 PM
jj

Jody, we're coming to Nova Scotia in late Sept. and driving from Halifax to Digby via Yarmouth, ferry across the Bay of Fundy to New Brunswick, then Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton, ending our trip in early Oct. What kind of weather should we expect during that period? <BR>

Old May 1st, 2000, 05:40 AM
Jody

JJ, The weather in early October should be fairly good, especially in Nova Scotia. Always be prepared for rain though. Although NS gets more rain than NB and PEI, it is also warmer. Last October, it was quite warm until mid to late month. The leaves will be incredible along the Cabot Trail then. You definitely have to make sure that you drive the Trail counterclockwise. This is the best way for the sights.

Old May 15th, 2000, 06:22 PM
Sandi

Hi, glad to see you posting, we have just decided to visit Halifax in mid-July. Planning on 7-day driving tour. Do you have any recommended 'must see' spots in both NS and NB? Look forward to visiting this area.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 06:25 AM
Jody

Depending on when exactly in mid-July you will be here, there is much to see. I don't know New Brunswick that well but can certainly help you with NS. The Tall Ships will be here from the 19th to the 24th. Halifax will be very exciting during that time with many events going on. <BR> <BR>If you are looking for nice scenery then I suggest you see the South Shore of NS, which includes Peggy's Cove, Chester, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. The ocean views are spectacular. As well if you do not go to NB or skip the South Shore you could go to Cape Breton and see the Cabot Trail. It will be impossible for you to see much of both NS and NB in only 7 days. It is about 3 hours at least to the border of NB from Halifax and then you have to drive quite a distance in NB to see any worthwhile sights. One way you could do it is to see the Annapolis valley in NS and Digby and then take the ferry to NB from Digby. You could go whale watching in Digby if it is not foggy or rainy. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you have any more questions. <BR> <BR>Jody

Old May 24th, 2000, 04:40 AM
Tim

Sandi, <BR>Jody's post is very good. Although the NB border to Halifax is only 2 hours with the new highway open, she is correct that it will be next to impossible to do NB & all of NS in a 7-day trip. Cape Breton is very beautiful, but it requires plenty of time to do it right. To get a good flavour for NS, I'd second Jody's suggestion of doing Halifax & the South Shore (follow the "Lighthouse Route"). <BR> <BR>I'm not sure where you're driving from, but a suggestion may be to do a "loop" where you take in the Fundy Coast of NB (St. Martins, Hopewell Rocks, Fundy Nat'l Park are very beautiful), then continue on to Halifax for the Tall Ships Festival (My wife & I will definitely be taking that in!), then head south through Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Liverpool, etc. Very beautiful towns. Then you could take the ferry from Yarmouth to Portland, Maine (if that's where you'll be coming from), or continue on to Digby and take the ferry to Saint John, NB. Whichever fits your schedule better. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip! Maybe we'll see you at the Tall Ships! <BR> <BR>Tim

Old May 25th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Gene Poland

What is the drive time from Halifax to St, John, NB, now that the new roda is open? We'll be staying with friends at Hubbards, and are trying to decide whether to drive back or take the ferry from Digby to St. John.

Old May 26th, 2000, 04:29 AM
Tim

Gene - with the new highway open and a speed limit of 110km/h, Halifax to Saint John can be done in a little more than 3.5 hours. <BR> <BR>Note though that there is now a $3 toll on the Nova Scotia portion of that road, between Truro and Amherst. they had also put up toll booths in NB between Moncton & Sussex, but they have since been closed. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip! <BR> <BR>Tim

Old May 28th, 2000, 02:40 PM
donna

hi jody, thanks for all the helpful messages. we'll be in n.s. 7/16-7/23 <BR>driving from yarmouth ferry. we did this same trip 2 years ago and had so much fog and rain we missed a lot..hopefully july is clearer than sept. what all is at the tall ship festival..crafts, food, etc? is a trip to pei worthwhile? can't wait for cool weather...thanks

Old May 29th, 2000, 07:44 AM
Jody

Hi Donna, <BR> <BR>That is great to hear that you are coming back to Nova Scotia! The drive from Yarmouth to Halifax should be much better in mid-July than in September. We usually have nice weather in July and August. As for the Tall Ships, mainly what you will get with that festival is lots of people, waterfront activities for all ages, a big concert on the side of Citadel Hill (probably with well known acts - they haven't been announced yet), and of course ships galore. If you are not into crowds or ships, I would suggest that you avoid Halifax between the 19-24. If you are into that then the website is www.tallships2000.ns.ca. <BR> <BR>As for PEI, as my mother's family are from there and I visit there quite a bit, I can highly recommend going over there for a visit, expecially if you have never been there before. The beaches are gorgeous and the scenery is amazing. If you can sacrifice a couple of days to go over then you will not be disappointed. It takes about 4-5 hours to drive from Halifax to PEI via the Confederation Bridge. If you take the ferry in Pictou, NS, then it will take a little longer. It is worthwhile to take the ferry though as it is a nice break out on the water. Cavendish is really touristy but other nearby areas such as Rustico and Stanhope are wonderful. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you have anymore questions. Have a great trip! <BR> <BR>Jody

Old May 29th, 2000, 06:15 PM
Tom Mulhern

Hi. Travelling to NS in early August with two small children (+ 3 adults) and looking for a cottage/cabin in which to spend about two weeks. Wondering which part of NS would be best bet. Also, of course, would welcome any specific cabin recommendations -- looking for 3BR with a kitchen, with some seclusion. <BR> <BR>Oh and while we're at it, anyone have perspective about which, if any, beaches in NS are swimmable/pleasant in August? <BR> <BR>Very grateful for any help! <BR> <BR>

Old May 30th, 2000, 05:56 AM
Jody

Hi Tom, <BR> <BR>As I live here, I have never stayed in any cabins in NS. However, on a quick look at the NS Tourism web site (at the address listed above) there are quite a few listings for cabins/cottages in NS. Many of them are in Baddeck, Cape Breton, which is a beautiful area. If you want to stay closer to Halifax and near beaches then I would recommend the South Shore. There are cabins in Hubbards, Lunenburg, etc. Hubbards, Queensland, Liverpool, all have nice beaches where you can still swim in August. August is usually one of our hottest months so that is the month when you would swim in the ocean in NS. Just check the web site and I am sure you will find lots of choices.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 08:07 PM
Vanessa

Wow! I'm leaving on June 10th from Toronto for 2 weeks in NS, NB and PEI. I just printed out all your recommendations to take along with me. Sounds like we'll have lots to see and do.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 05:19 AM
Jody

Hi Vanessa, <BR> <BR>That is great that you are coming to visit the Maritimes. As you can tell, I love living here so I tend to promote it quite a bit. I am sure that you will have a wonderful vacation. There are definitely lots of things to do and see. Have a great time! <BR> <BR>Jody

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 06:47 AM
Ellie

Jody, <BR> <BR>We are visiting NS third week in June and hope everyone we meet is as friendly as you. What kind of weather can we expect? Are any of the beaches warm enough for swimming?

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 06:38 AM
Jody

Hi Ellie, <BR> <BR>You will have a great vacation here in June. However, I am not sure about swimming in the ocean at that time of year. It could be quite warm (we are hoping) but the water won't be. The temps have been slowly climbing the last couple of weeks. The Atlantic Ocean never gets really warm at the best of times. So unless you are used to swimming in cold water I wouldn't think that you will be swimming very much. You may be able to lay out on the beach though. The beaches along the South Shore get nice warm weather a lot of the time. The farther north you go the more likely it is to be cooler. Even if you don't end up hanging out on beaches a lot you will find many things to do while here, I am sure. And yes, I am sure that you will meet many friendly people like me!

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Jim

I am planning my first trip to Nova Scotia in July. I plan to be there for about eight days. I would like to see Halifax and theCabot Trail. Can you provide any suggestions hotels etc. other places to visit. Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 07:53 AM
Jody

Hi Jim, <BR> <BR>If you check the website for NS Tourism there will be listings of accomodations. For hotels in Halifax, I would recommend the Delta Halifax or Delta Barrington and the Citadel. They are all very nice hotels right in the downtown area near the waterfront and are reasonably priced. There are others which are very nice but more expensive. <BR> <BR>On the Cabot Trail, the nicest and most expensive is the Keltic Lodge. It is in a beautiful location right in the heart of the Trail. In Baddeck there are many nice hotels and Baddeck is a good starting point for doing the Trail. Since you only have eight days if you plan on seeing any other spots around Halifax, like the South Shore, I would use Halifax as your base rather than changing hotels. I would set aside at least 2 days for the Cabot Trail with half a day of travel from Halifax to the Trail. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Jody

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Parrot Mom

Jody..I have an unusual question...I collect Royal Crown Derby Paperweights and want to know what shops in Halifax would sell them..probably a china/gift shop.. We will only be in Halifax one day..July 25..and will we have missed the Tall Ships completely?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -