Hockey Day in Toronto?

Search

Hockey Day in Toronto?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hockey Day in Toronto?

I'm surprising my husband with a weekend to Toronto and I was able to get some Redwings/Leafs tickets off ebay. Apparently it is "Hockey Day" in Canada and I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what that meant and if there are going to be extra fun things to do in Toronto that day?

And has anyone done the Labatt tour? I was thinking of hitting that on our way home to Detroit.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Hockey Day in Canada is a 13.5 hour broadcast on the CBC featuring four NHL games with all 6 Canadian teams, and lots of community hockey activities broadcast across the country. Normally it features the 6 teams playing each other, but because of the stupid schedule (which will change next year) this year the Northeast Division teams don't play the Northwest.

The only extra fun to be had in Toronto on that day will be to see the sad-sack Leafs lose to the Red Wings. Now if you could have had tickets for last Saturday night's game between the Senators and the Wings, that would have been a special treat. Perhaps a preview of the Stanley Cup Final?

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

So no wacky activities in Toronto that day? Well, there is enough to do there as it is!

Yes, thank you NHL schedulers for putting the best game of the year right up against the NFL playoffs. I only saw bits and pieces of the Ottawa game, but I think you might have good guess at the Finals.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Well, who knew...first I've heard of Hockey Day...is it every year?

Sadly, laverendrye, you're probably right - the Leafs will blow it.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Hockey Day in Canada has been an event for a number of years now, and each year the broadcast is hosted by a different town This year it is Winkler Manitoba (past hosts have included Nelson BC and Stephenville NL). It celebrates the grassroots of the game as well as showcasing the NHL teams.

Last year I attended with great pleasure the Senators' 8-3 dismantling of the Canadiens. They will meet again this year on HDIC, and I suspect that the game will be much closer

BTW, the Leafs were chastened 6-1 at the hands of the Canucks last year.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Well, being from Detroit, a good Leaf drubbing will be fine by us. We do highly respect the Leafs however (shouldn't they be the Leaves?) and will be picking up some nice merchandise while there.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM

You could do your own HDIC by arriving in Toronto earlier that day (or even the day before) and take your husband to a tour of the Hockey Hall of Fame located in Toronto....

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Hockey Hall of Fame is great, but we've done that. I think our Hockey Weekend in Canada will consist of the Labatt tour I just booked for Friday afternoon and the game on Saturday. Now that we have Tim Horton's here in Detroit, a donut stop isn't necessary.

Any good family place to meet our friends for lunch before the game?
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:36 AM

There's only one choice: Gretzky's at 99 (naturally) Blue Jay Way. You can walk from there to the ACC.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Sounds great. How crowded will it be? Our friends have a brand new baby so I'm not sure how they feel about crowds. Maybe we'll just see them on Sunday.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM
LJ

Hockey Day in Canada is much better observed in smaller towns where arena hockey is more a part of community life. It was huge in my small town in Newfoundland Labrador where they were competing to become known as Hockeyville.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I'm getting excited. I got the Renaissance Hotel downtown in the Skydome for $113 a night. We are doing the brewery tour on Friday afternoon. For $5 you get the tour, the tastings, and a t-shirt. The game should be awesome. Things are looking good! Now there better not be a blizzard to contend with...
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Gretzky's will be crowded, but so will every other restaurant in the vicinity of the ACC before the game. Your friends might have some suggestions.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 10:36 AM

You might want to try Le Marche/Movenpick. It is a very popular restaurant with serving stations. You walk around and stop at the station you want and place your order (seafood station, pasta station, deserts,salads,etc..)It is directly north (abutting on) the Hockey Hall of Fame building , on Yonge Street. I was there last weekend before Raptors game. Easy walk (indoor all the way if you want via underground) to ACC.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:20 PM
LJ

Also agree that 'Marche' (Movenpick restaurants) is a great choice for this visit. BUT, its changed its name AGAIN...its 'Richtree' now.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM

"So no wacky activities in Toronto that day? Well, there is enough to do there as it is!"

We're Torontonians! We don't DO wacky! (except maybe die a little bit as it becomes increasingly evident that it'll be the Stanley Cup drought here will have lasted at least 42 years) . As far as places to eat, you might also consider C'est What.

http://www.cestwhat.com

Good brew/wine pub about a 10-minute walk (or 15-minute stagger depending ) from the ACC. Either way it goes, hope you enjoy.

HTH
Knick
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the food ideas everyone. Can't wait!