My husband and I are planning our first trip to New Zealand! Our plan is to go in January and we are interested in seeing the gorgeous countryside. Originally we considered a cruise, but decided we wanted to see the inland countryside more so than the coast and honestly I don't think cruising is the best way to really experience a new place anyway.
We live in the US and have mainly traveled to Europe. We don't like to rush - I'd rather really get to know a place then to run from one place to the next in a blur. We have driven in foreign countries, but never on the opposite side of the road so I am a little apprehensive of that, but we're adventurous and we're up for the challenge.
I am in a small, manual wheelchair so the beach doesn't really appeal to us - just too difficult to deal with. Also this would mean any type of hiking or "crazy" terrain (rocky, gravel, sand, mud) is out. I know I need to do a lot of my own research, but if you had 2 weeks to spend in NZ what places would you absolutely not want to miss (based on the few bits of info I've shared)? Any suggestions on towns to use as a base?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Kaikoura SH1 update
- 2 Sun Sand & Surf. Short & Sweet. Tonga & Fiji
- 3 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 4 30 Days Down Under
- 5 Hotel areas in Sydney
- 6 Australia for two weeks.
- 7 Fine-tuning South Island Itinerary for February 2018
- 8 Itinerary decisions
- 9 Melbourne lodging locations
- 10 Driving Valbonne - Annecy in December. Which route / where to stay?
- 11 New Years Eve in Sydney
- 12 Climbing the Sydney Bridge???
- 13 Last-Minute Trip To Australia - Dec 2017
- 14 Help planning my visit to Uluru in late February
- 15 Great Ocean Road - how much time?
- 16 Help planning Blue Mountains trip
- 17 Diamantina - what can you tell me about Castle Hill
- 18 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
- 19 First time visiting Australia
- 20 Help! Samoa or Moorea, Indecisive
- 21 Australia dollar
- 22 Australia - first time
- 23 Sydney airport
- 24 Sydney Airport connecting flights
- 25 How many days for Auckland and Christchurch on a 30-day trip?