SW Western Australia. My First Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here goes. My first Trip Report. I must be a serious Fodorite now!

SOUTH WEST WESTERN AUSTRALIA TRIP REPORT. Take 1

17TH September 2010
2.50pm AEST
Depart our humble hamlet and wander westerly towards Marvellous Melbourne’s domestic airport via a commercial long term car park.

6.30pm AEST
Arrive and smoothly yet slowly move through check in and security clearance, thus allowing plenty of time to savour the culinary delights on offer prior to proceeding to the gate ready for our scheduled 8.15pm flight.

8.15pm AEST
Wait an eternity for the airline to organise itself, getting the plane landed, restocked and cleaned.

8.45pm AEST
Depart for Perth

18th September 2010
2.00am AWST
Arrive at Motel.
Restless sleep. Why do they build airports so close to Motels?

18th September - 2 October 2010
Own arrangements until...

2nd October
3.30pm AEST
Arrive at Brother’s house in time for the last quarter of the AFL Grand Final.
Nice of them to replay it for us as we were in the middle of nowhere the first time around.

10.30pm AEST
Arrive home.

TRIP REPORT - TAKE 2
Windmills
Eubalaena Australis
Shipwrecks
Tursiops truncatus
Eucalypts
Rocks
Nature

Aquifer
Unique
Speleology
Thrombolites
Rungs
Annuals
Lighthouses
Isolation
Avian

TRIP REPORT - TAKE 3 Third Time lucky.

HIGHLIGHTS
Exploring every nook and cranny of Hyden Rock; The Humps; King Rock; Wyalup-Rocky and Canal Rocks.
BLISS.

Fremantle Shipwreck Museum. The Batavia stern; Batavia Arch; Dirk Hartog Plate and the Vlamingh Plate.
Be still my beating heart.

Giants Self Guided Cave - “Here’s a helmet and a couple of torches. If you are not back in a couple of hours we will come and get you. There is a rope and three ladders to help you.”
Dark Bliss.

Climbing all three Fire Watch Tree Towers near Pemberton.

Dressing like a seal and swimming where sharks live. AKA Swimming with dolphins.

Tingle, Karri, Tuart and Jarrah Forests.
Tremendous.

Thrombolites near Mandurah.

Paddling your own boat in the aquifers beneath Fremantle Prison.

Albany Whale Museum.

Well managed National and other Parks.
Great information. Well sign posted. Welcome to all abilities. No apparent Political or Cultural baggage, like there is in this state.
“Your enjoyment and safety are our concern but your responsibility.”
Want to climb a tree or three? Sure, go for it. Best if you don’t do it in the rain or if you are scared of heights, but be careful and you will be alright.
Want to clamber over some rocks? Sure, Go for it. Bit slippery when wet and the waves can be a bit big at times, but be careful and you will be alright.
Want to take a 4wd trip? Sure...

MID LIGHTS
Perth - Just another city. Great windmill and wonderful revolving restaurant.
Noisy People/peoply noise.

Distilleries - great Whisky.
GREAT PRICES $125-300 a bottle.

A middy of Kilkenny at the “Slug and Hare Alehouse”

LOW LIGHTS
People who have must have their photograph taken in front of everything they visit, thus blocking those who want to photograph the place without people. Why spoil a photograph by putting a person in it?

People who have no intention of climbing a 153 rung ladder but insist on having their photo taken on the fifth rung to look brave and block those who are going to climb all 153 rungs.

People who turn their torches on when the guide has told them several times to turn them off.

People...
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Hi, peterSale. I thought I had WA sussed until I read your interesting report just now. Thank you for broadening my ideas.
However not sure about the swimming with dolphins (I'm not a good swimmer) or the Giants cave (slight claustrophobia).
I especially sympathise with the Low Light views.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments.

The Dolphins were great and the tour caters really well for non and poor swimmers.

They give you a snorkelling lesson. Then you hold onto the belt of the person in front of you. The leader keeps the weaker swimmers at the front. and you are basically slowly dragged around as the leader has a motorised propellor thing that dragsthem around. The wetsuits keep you afloat and you are encouraged not to kick or try to swim.

There are plenty of other caves in the Margaret River area that are not so adventurous. They have lights and guides. We had done lots of those in the past, so went for a more individual tour.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 11:44 AM
dkw

Your trip sound fantastic! Thanks for writing the report!
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. It was. Great Weather. Not a single thing went wrong.We saw all we planned to see and got a fewbonuses in as well.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Ummm, restaurants? You had to have eaten? That is my favorite part of trip reports. I came here with such high hopes. Now they have been dashed!
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Sad to say we only ate a three as we we staying in self contained units most of the time.

But just for you.
A standard Chinese Restaurant in Albany. Sweet and sour chicken and fried rice. Edible but not memorable.
Chocolate Gelato across the roadfor dessert was memorable.

A great Steak restaurant in Pemberton calle the Shamrock. serving waygu beef. The lovely tender marbled beef. My wife had garlic prawns that were quite nice on a bed of rice. My wife even liked my steak which was unusual for her.

C Restaurant in Perth was a highlight. It is a revolving restaurant with a fabulous menu. I had lamb back strap coated in a crusty pepper and herb coating on a bed of sweet potato and spinach. My wife had a French sea food casserole. Both were absolutely divine.

Dessert was wildflower honey pannacotta with pyrmids of chocolate icecream. My wife had a vanilla thing that was a cross between sponge and cheescake. Both were fantastic.

Grandfather'sport and coffee rounded off the meal.

We did sample lots of bakeries along the way. Notably an Irish baker serving traditional soda bread which is abit like our scones and a batch loaf that has a crisp and chewy crust and a stiff inner. Lovely.
We also sample lots of cakes and icecreams as well.

The two distilleries were great but were very expensive. We also went to a brewery that adds things like strawberries or chillies to the process. Not much but enough to give the beer a hint of their flavour. Their ginger beer was very refreshing as was their sarsparilla.

I was thinking of you last night as I was performing at an open mic night at a restaurant in town called Red Catt. They had a book called the red cat society based on the Red Hat Society.

It was full of great quotes like:-
Eventually to bed.
Sleep til you're done.
Makes a girls frisky, friendly and fun.

Never frown as you don't know who is falling in love with your smile.

And for your business-
Tough times don't last but tough people do.

Cheers.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Awww, that's now the best trip report ever! I've only been to Australia once, but it wasn't the west coast and while not all our meals were memorable,(in fact, most of them weren't) one was amazing - oysters on the beach and great wine.

Ginger beer is fantastic!

I will have to look into the Red Cat Society! The quotes are great! As for my business, it is brand new and things are going great. Being busy is a good thing!
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Anything for you Cat.

Red Cat Society (maybe secret society)
Written by Patrick Regan
Illustrated by Kevin Whitlark

Glad to hear the business is going well. What line of business is it?

By the way what is significant about 111719? Or is that too personal?
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 09:02 AM

That was my sweet dad's birthday! He passed away over twenty years ago but I miss him every day.

I do a form of energy work, Reiki, if you know what that is.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

I knew it couldn't be your birthday!I thought it might be the ages of your children.I think you mentioned you had children.

Sorry to hear about your dad. he is th esame vintage almost as mine. He was born in 1928 but died a few years back.

I have heard of Reiki. There are a few people who do it around here.Which is not bad for a country town.

I haven't used it myself, but anything that makes people better can't be bad!

Cheers, and good luck making people well. What a thrill that must be for you.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 08:42 PM

Hi...peter, great to know that you are coming to Australia. this is great place to enjoy...you should try surfing, swimming yoga and spa therapy there. You must visit Byron Bay.
have fun...By...
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

G'day Ashlee. Thanks for the thoughts.

I live in Australia. Eastern Victoria to be precise my sign in name suggests.

Where are you from?
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 04:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Ashlee,
Just wondering when you were last in Byron Bay and whether the bead shop is still there in the arcade?
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM

We were lucky enough to live a year in Perth, not long ago and I say, if you make it to Western Australia, you have to visit Ningaloo Reef, its a trek from Perth, but truly Australian. The area is remote and desolate as the reef and ocean is green and abundant.

And I was impressed with all WA's museums, but particularly the shipwreck museum in Freemantle.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Ok I just read it the part about being SW WA...sorry for an out of context note, but it is nice!
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 03:16 PM

Thanks Peter,
I enjoy your style.
Alan
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Believe me All of Wa is on my list. But with only two weeks we were fairly limited. The wife being crook didn't help either. Poor thing. Two weeks with three different ailments. What a holiday for her!

Thanks Alan. I try to please.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Were you counting yourself as one of those three ailments?
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

No. That would make it four.

She had a fall before we left. Then caught a cold while we we away and then woman stuff. All relatively minor on the grand scheme of things but in combinationset her back a bit.

To her credit she only missed the dolphin swim (would have been too cold for her even if she was well), climbing the trees (would only have done one anyway) and the Whale museum (not a major interest).

She climbed a little way up the first tree.

She had a good time all considered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -