Search

critic 3 days in sydney

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
critic 3 days in sydney

Walk for 2 hours in The Rocks, cross Harbour bridge, taxi to Manly beach, spend 2 hours there,then ferry back to Circular Quay. In the evening attend performance in the Concert Hall-day 1
Walk through Botanic Gardens, then Mcquarie street, St Mary's, Tower, Hyde Park, walk to Darling Harbour- day 2
Blue Mountains trip with Eco Tours or skip Blue Mountains and do the Manly Scenic Walkway instead-day 3
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:58 PM

The only problem I have with your plan is that it will cost you a fortune by cab to Manly. You can get a bus from St Leonards. When you say " cross harbour bridge" do you mean by train or walk? If by train you could get off at St Leonards and get a bus to Manly but they are not all direct and you may have to change. I think if you walk you would get off the bridge near Milsons Point station and then get the train to St Leonards. So it would be simpler to go by cab but expensive as it is a long way to Manly. Others may be able to be more helpful.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM

For day 2, unless you have a very specific reason for visiting the Darling Harbour precinct (i.e. the Powerhouse Museum or Maritime Museum) there's not really a lot of reasons for a tourist to go there.

Also since you have already been to Manly on Day 1, if you don't go to the Blue Mountains (well worth a visit) on day 3, you might consider the the coastal walks on the South Head side of the harbour.

Cheers,

Bill
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:50 PM

With the downtown Monorail it is very easy to see the main sights of the city. It was built for that reason so you should easily be able to include Darling Harbour on Day 1. The aquarium and the new fauna enclosure would be the highlights. I would agree that a taxi to Manly is not the best option. It is a boring and expensive trip. Ferries run from Cremorne and Milsons Point (just under the bridge) so make the most of the Harbour and catch a ferry to Circular Quay then the Manly ferry to Manly or the Hydrofoil if you are pushed for time. On Day 2 consider a bus trip to Watsons Bay. You will see all the best views of the Harbour from a different point of view and the Harbour View from Watsons Bay is world class. It is also a good place to have lunch. Get a taxi back if necessary.
Taronga Park Zoo is another Sydney highlight with probably the best zoo location anywhere. Try and fit it in after your trip to Manly or as another option for Day 2.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions.

I would not have time for both Blue Mountains and Manly Scenic Walkway. If I did Manly Scenic Walkway I'd not go to Manly om the first day. Which one you'd choose?

How much is the taxi? I'll be there in July, so days 'll be short and I'll be pressed for time.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:36 PM

I'd do the Spit to Manly walk & then take the ferry back to Circular Quay.
If you just want a quick trip to Manly take the Hydrofoil.(about 15 mins) or the ferry (30 mins) Both are quicker than a taxi, much more pleasant, scenic and cheap.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:39 PM

you can "do" the manly scenic walkway on day 1...with planning and perseverance.

Download a copy of the walk and associated map from the ferries website.

on day 1...
buy a day tripper ticket at circular quay
walk up thru the rocks and across the bridge...check out the south east pylon.
get a ferry from milsons point back to the quay
get a manly ferry to manly
get a taxi to clontarf reserve..tell the cab to wait while you walk to the beach,have a look around and take a couple of pics
get the cab to take you to tania park,dobroyd point
walk to the aboriginal rock "engravings" and then on around towards manly on the scenic walkway.
when you get to forty baskets beach call for your cab again and he will take u back to manly.
catch the ferry back to the quay at sunset after a drink at the manly wharf hotel

fall asleep at the concert recital

have a champagne at intermission at the bar at the back of the concert hall.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

What if I skip a walk across the bridge? That 'd make everything simpler. What do you all think.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Walking across the bridge is definitely something you could leave out. what you could include is a walk up to the bridge and the pylon lookout in your 2hour walk around the rocks. It's very close and is a substitute for the bridge climb. http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/
You could then get the ferry to manly and if you ran short of time, get the hydrofoil back (or vice versa). if you wanted to do part of the walk, you could just walk around from the wharf to spring cove, then up through the streets and over to shelly beach, then the walk back from shelly beach to manly. you'll see how the lucky people live! I presume you've looked at this site http://www.manlyweb.com.au/informati...ks/walkway.asp

I would do blue mountains over the manly walk - it's nice, but there's plenty of walks to be had in the blue mountains and it's completely different to the city.

here's a site i just found which is pretty cool
http://www.sydney100.com/
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

How difficult is the Dobroyd Head to Forty Baskets Beach portion of the walk? My wife is a little bit of a chicken in terms of hiking. Is it worth it just to do this portion of the walk?
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:32 AM

That section of the walk is moderately hard if I recall from the last time I walked it. Not a problem if you're fit, slightly tiring if you're not.

If you want something fairly flat, start at forty Baskets Beach, or the North Habour reserve (reasonaly easy to reach by bus to Balgowlah) and then it's a nice walk to manly.

Or there is another scenic walk at North Head which is also in Manly. You can catch a bus up there and take a walk around the reserve and take great photos of the ocean and Sydney Habour.