questions about Great Ocean Road itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning 2 nights (3 days) on GOR with my 3 adult children. I have read many posts but still have some questions. Here is my basic plan. Pick up car at Tullamarine about 9-10 am on 13 DEC. Drive via Geelong to Otway Fly (do the walk not the zip line mainly due to time restraints) and carry on to GOR. Where would be a good place to stop for the first night? Is Port Fairy too ambitious and is it worth going all that way for the penguins? A lot of posters seem to think Port Campbell is far enough. Second day drive east and stay in Torquay. Third morning would be around Torquay and head for Melb afternoon. We will be staying 2 nights in St Kilda and I read there are also penguins there? Son is into surfing so we will spend some time on the beaches and I don't want to be driving all the time. So any comments welcome on 1st night and any other suggestions. When do school hols start this year? Will I have trouble getting one night accommodation? Many thanks
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:12 PM

I think you are being too ambitious on your Day 1. Going up to the Otway Fly is quite a detour and time consuming if you want to go through to Port Fairy or even Port Campbell. You won't have time to stop anywhere else.

I would suggest that on day 1 you head down to the GOR stopping on the way at Torquay if you want to do the surf shops and have a bit of a surf. Then proceed along to the GOR, possibly stopping off at Lorne if you have time. Then detour at Skenes Creek (just before Apollo Bay) for the Otway Fly. From the GOR turn right onto the Skenes Creek Road, which will merge into the Forest-Apollo Bay Road. After 14 kms you will see Turtons Track on your left which will take you through Beech Forest. (A beautiful drive too). On the other side of Beech Forest (6km) you will see the signs to the Otway Fly. This will take approx 50 mins.

I think you will find that you have used most of your day up already by then. After the Otway Fly you can return back the way you came if you want to spend time in Apollo Bay or continue along the road further east and rejoining the GOR at Lavers Hill. However this will mean you miss rather a nice chunk of the GOR. Personally I would probably head to Apollo Bay and spend the night there.

The next day continue along the GOR stopping off as you pleased. If you only go as far as Port Campbell and return inland you will have lots of time for stopping, sight-seeing and a surf. If your main reason for going all the way through to Port Fairy is just for the penguins I would give it a miss.
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shandy. I was planning on driving to Otway via Colac straight from the airport, and then meeting the GOR via Lavers Hill and getting to Port Campbell first night. Then the next day would be driving back towards Torquay with all the GOR highlights. Does this make the first day easier? Is Otway fly worth it?
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Hi Kat, yes that would work. I am so used to everyone travelling along the GOR outbound and then returning home inland that I hadn't even considered that possibility.

Provided that you do your stops for sight seeing between Laver's Hill and Port Campbell on the first day, you should still have time left over to spend a while in Torquay on the second day. Don't try to do all your stops on the way back or it may well be getting a bit late by the time you hit Torquay.

Actually, I have just realized that you are not coming until December so that is good as there will be plenty of daylight hours then which will make it all a lot easier in terms of time management.
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sounds like we have a plan!!!