Search

Great Barrier Reef Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Barrier Reef Advice

We wish to go out to the GBR from Cairns on 19 April. Should we book in advance? And which company do you recommend (One of us would like to snorkel, the other three would like a glass-bottom boat)?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:44 PM

There's quite a choice, jinx - Reef Magic has a pontoon on a pristine piece of reef with glass bottom boats; Ocean Spirit has easy snorkelling from Michaelmas Cay which is also a seabird sanctuary and has a semi-submersible which is better than glass bottom. There's plenty more, these are just two I've been on recently and thorughly recommend. Yes, do book in advance, Reef Magic was full yesterday and this is "Off season".
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pat. Really appreciate your help.

Jinx
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Jinx, where are you coming from? I'm guessing you are not an Aussie. I only say this because the GBR is heavily recommended to tourists from Cairns which is sad because Cairns itself is not all that great.
There are many other beautiful areas further south to see the GBR where you will get a much better view of the reef.
Have you already booked Cairns? can you get out of it and visit the lesser known but more beautiful places down south? (I will probably get hammered for that statement)......
Have a great time in Oz.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM

as a previous reef boat owner can assure you jinx that Cairns has easy access to many pristine reef sites, not the least being the two I mentioned. Cairns here seems to have become synonomous with nearby Green Island, which is heavily touristed. Both Moore Reef (Reef Magic) and Michaelmas Cay are way further out than Green Island which is not outer reef.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your concern. I just received confirmation from Ocean Spirit going out to Michaelmas Cay. Thanks again, Pat, for your recommendations. We are coming from Austin, Texas, and really look forward to visiting your friendly and scenic country.

Again, we sure hope that the cyclone spared you and your property.

Let me know if I can ever be of help with USA travel.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:21 AM

Dear Jinx, Ok, Pat wins, she obviously knows this area better than I do. I still don't know why everyone gets sent to Cairns, but hey, have a wonderful time there anyway. I hope all the Aussies you meet are as helpful as Pat.
Pat, hope you are coping ok with the fall out from the weather. J.