Devil's Marbles in Red Centre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In planning the Red Centre portion of our Australia trip we keep finding more and more things that we want to see. We're already spending a couple of nights in Uluru, a night in King's Canyon and one night in Alice Springs. Then the plan was to fly to Darwin after that.

Now, we're becoming enchanted with the pictures we've seen of the Devil's Marbles. How long does it take to drive there from Alice Springs? I think that it's about 400 km north of Alice Springs--but I'm not sure how fast people drive on that highway.

I'd sort of like to drive up there really early and then come back to Alice Springs to catch a 5:00 p.m. flight to Darwin. I guess we'd need to by back by around 3:00 p.m. Is this crazy?
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:09 PM

The two times I've been to Devils Marbles we were either on the way to or on the way back from somewhere. I don't believe I would make a special trip up just to see them.

Both times I was there the flies were just unbelievable!!! Really, they took the fun out of being there. And the last time I was there we had planned to eat lunch there but were put off by the smell coming from the pit toilet.

I absolutely love our Red Centre - it's my favourite place on earth - but the Devils Marbles offered up a forgetable experience for me personally. However, I'd be interested to hear other fodorites view on the place and whether they would recommend a special trip up.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

It would certainly make our scheduling easier if we didn't visit the Marbles. We were both just so amazed by the pictures we've seen of them. But, maybe it truly isn't worth an entire day.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
ALF

I totall agree with Stormbird. The Devil's Marbles are indeed really great, but the loop trail through all the marbles is probably only about a mile, and will take you a half-hour (spurred on, of course, by the blow flies). It's gotta' take 4-5 hours to get there from Alice, and I too agree that it would not be worth the time just for the Marbles. Unfortunately, the drive is over some rather bleak terrain that does not encourage further exploration.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Hi caligirl,
I've had a little think overnight. Why don't you just do a dash out to the West McDonnell ranges - if memory serves me right Standley Chasm is quite close to Alice Springs. I seem to recall a number of turnoffs from Alice Springs heading out to the West McDonnell Ranges. I can't recall how far out Ormiston Gorge is but that is my husbands fave spot on the planet.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. What is Ormiston Gorge like? What about Standley Chasm?

I think with the Devil's Marbles it was just that they look so amazing. But, maybe that's just in pictures. I'm getting the impression that in person they aren't so impressive. And we definitely won't be there at sunset--in case that is the factor that makes all the difference.

We don't mind the drive--if the Marbles are worth it. We're used to driving long distances. And I guess we'd better not mind the flies, because I'm sure we will encounter quite a few of those in Uluru.

I really do appreciate all your help. I have plenty of time to rearrange things depending on how all of this works out.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 09:24 PM
ALF

It is a very nice drive out of Alice, along the base of the McDonnel Range. There are all sorts of things to see, starting with the Alice Springs Desert Park, and then heading on out to various gorges.

Standley Chasm is a fine short hike that ends up inside this very narrow slot (http://community.iexplore.com/photog...o.asp?ID=19435)

There are ochre pits were aborigines obtained many of the pigments they used for painting.

Ormiston Gorge is further along, and is also quite scenic.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 04:59 AM

I've done that trip--just to see the Devil's Marbles--and consider it time well spent. It takes about 4 hours if you keep your foot down. I left Alice just after noon and got to the Marbles a bit before sunset. I stayed overnight at a funky place about 20 miles south called the Wycliffe Well Holiday Park (a collection of shacks and trailers with a bit of an animal park and a UFO theme), returned to the Marbles in the morning, and then back to Alice in time for a late lunch. There's no speed limit in the outback but there are road trains (trucks plus three trailers), 'roos, and the road is not that wide. Australian rental cars seem to lack cruise control, which makes driving long distances much more tiring.

As others have noted, it's just a one or two mile loop off the road, but there are plenty of Marbles and the scenery is definitely extraordinary.