Search

Cairns Airport closed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cairns Airport closed

Just thought I'd post this before we lose power. Cairns airport closed at 10pm tonight. High category 4, Cyclone Larry is due to hit Innisfail in early hours, Dunk and Bedarra Islands as well as coastal areas in region have been evacuated. cyclone warning extends from Cape Tribulation in north to Mackay in south, this includes Whitsundays.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:45 AM

Stay safe, Pat! Let us know how you pull through.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Wow, that's so nice of you Tim and Liz, hadn't even clicked off and there you were. Thanks. Just out of Cairns right now it's eerily calm, not a breath of wind, but all the wildlife is hiding, even our house geckos.

Cheers,

Pat
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Our thoughts are with you Pat. Let us know how you are when you can get back online.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Innisfail seems to have been the worst hit town but Cairns has not escaped unfortunately.
Those who have stayed with Pat and Mike Woolford and know them will be wondering how things are going for them. The good thing is that they are behind a hill which should help them shelter from the worst of the winds. This cyclone was a Cat 5 when it hit so it is not something to be sneezed at. So far we have heard that there has been homes destroyed in Innisfail but as yet there is not much else to tell as the backside of the storm is still pounding the area.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM

PS: Unfortunately there is another cyclone which is developing and looks like it is going to take the same path as this one but at least its a few days away yet.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Hang on Pat!!!!!!

This looks like a very nasty storm. All of our friends down under are in our thoughts and prayers today. We hope to hear from you soon and that all are safe and well!!!

Steve and Andrea
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Dear Pat,
We've thought about you often since our wonderful stay with you two years ago. I hope all is well with you and yours and that the storm spares you.
Bob and Ann

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Just wanted to add my best wishes too.
I hope everyone in the area is ok.
We'll all be waiting to hear.

Good luck and stay safe.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Heard about the cyclone on the news and popped into the Australia forum to find out how Pat and others in the affected area are doing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:49 PM

I too, am worried about you all.
My prayers & thoughts are with you...
Lucy
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Cairns appears to have had a lucky escape with only relative minor damage. Most of the damage has been in Innisfail and to crops. There is still widespread electricity blackouts and the phones are out but otherwise things are getting back to normal and the State Emergency Services along with all other Services are getting the debris cleared away. The Government has arranged for any helicopters etc to be there if needed along with the defence personnel. I havn't heard from Pat as yet but I am sure that she will have been OK as that house has been there for a long time now and seen more cyclones that the rest of us. Hopefully the people of Innisfail will get the attention they need and as quickly as possible. So far there has not been any reports of loss of life and only a few injuries. Let us hope that it stays that way.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Like all the above, I have just popped in to send my best wishes for a safe emergence from Cyclone Larry to all in Cairns particularly, but also other areas which were in the cyclone's path.
Hope you have not suffered too much damage.
Dot
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, you probably know more than we do as we have no power and this is coming courtesy of our gasping generator. We live north of Cairns were lucky that we only had a few trees uprooted - but Innisfail hit badly where Larry came in as a Category 5. All reef trips are of course cancelled, all three roads leading to Tableland are closed. Have been trying to get on to Paronella Park all day to see how much damage. No luck yet.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:06 AM

Good on you Pat! I had thought that you would not be posting but this only shows that even cyclones can't keep a great gal down!!!!!!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Pat,
So glad to hear you're OK and the Cairns area is not destroyed. Too bad about Innisfail and the crops! We were in your beautiful area a year and a half ago, and have been so saddened imagining the destruction that could have occured!