Search

June or August?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
June or August?

If you had your pick, which is the better month to visit? I know neither is ideal since it's winter, but I'm a teacher and I want to be able to go for more than 10 days.
I studied abroad in Adelaide about 12 years ago, and was there from July - December. I remember July as being chilly and rainy, but I don't think it was awful (similar to summer in Scotland which is where we are headed next month). I am not sure about the rest of the country though at this time of year. Ideally our trip would cover some time in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, and then up the gold coast.

Thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM

I would go in August, the later in the month the better. Daylight hours will be longer and it will be a tad warmer (not that it ever gets THAT cold in the south of the country). It will likely be very pleasant on the Gold Coast - warm enough for beach sunbathing some days. As you may know, the "winter" months are probably THE best time for the north of the country, including much of the Outback.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

It would probably be the first three weeks of August, if we went in August, school usually begins the last week of August.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM

I'd have to disagree with Ralph as July/August are generally the real wintery months in the south whereas we do get what we call our Indian Summers extending into June with some relatively mild weather, temperatures still often in twenties [centigrade] whereas August you'll be having low to mid teens in south at best and just a few degrees higher even on Gold Coast where I lived until recently for six years.

You'll not be getting too many sunbathers out on the Gold Coast despite what Ralph may feel is "likely".
You have many more beach goers in June and water temperatures would be warmer than in August.

Daylight hours will only vary very marginally given the solstice is June 21/22, early June being about the same as mid July and August ain't long after.

About the only advantage I can think of for August would be if you wanted to be about when Whales migrate up the coast [they're looking for warmer water btw - kind of says something!]
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM

The charts on http://www.aboutaustralia.com/Weather.htm may confuse more so than help for they uniformly show June averages equal to that of July with August actually a degree higher - makes you wonder how current those figures are or where they do measure them.

For nobody in their right mind would suggest that July is not generally colder than June, and even though we've had the odd chillier night lately, even in Queensland it is normal to expect more in July/August.

Re the Indian Summer effect, you'll note that there's quite a step change from May down to June whereas july, August, September is more a gradual climb back, getting out of winter.

If autumns are warmer/longer, it's those higher May temperatures that extend on through to June and with the type of weather we've had for quite a few years now with far less than normal rain [looks to be continuing], that extension has been more the case than not.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Of course the statistics are confusing as they do not show which average they are using, nor the deviation from that average.

I suggest that any one wanting to understand the climatic variables in Australai go to http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/
The terms used are explained though the glossary is not as accessible as it once was.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Hi Amelie,

Something that might help you decide is the fact that our school holidays occur throughout June/July, so you might not want to be around then, as the usual touristy spots get very busy.

Weather wise, I don't think it matters too much really. You are going to have to have warm clothes regardless and the difference in temperatures between June and August aren't huge. For example, Adelaide June 08 average max was 16 and August 08 average max was 13. Brisbane June 08 average max was 22 and average in August was 20. So in the big picture it's just not that much of a big deal.

Layering your clothes is always the best option.

As far as Brisbane/Gold Coast goes you just can't depend on anything anymore. We've had an extremely wet year to date and honestly, we're over it!

As I said no matter where you go be it June or August you will probably have to bring the same amount of warm gear so our school holidays may be your deciding factor.

Hope you have a great time!
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM

I just came back from the beach and quite a few bikins on and some bods even in the water, a balmy Indian Summers day you might call it not too far north of Brisbane and I'd daresay that you might even find some in the water further south too.
Low to mid twenties we're having all about southern Queensland at the moment, cooling quite some in the evenings though but not really winter wooly time and actually you'd find not all that many Queenslanders have all that big a set of WW.

You do pick up on European lingo or northern accents at times like this and with people all having differnt tolerances for temperature or desire for warmth/comfort, coming from Scotland you'll possibly even find August mild but for Aussies in the south it's time to rug up for days at the footy etc. and more so if a Queenslander was going down to Vic whereas travelling from Vic to Queensland in July one year, the whole family was in summery clothes except for when we got a tropical storm and then it was just a waterproof poncho over summery gear for about 20C was balmy.

The weather does vary from year to year as to when storms/rain can occur and the lengthy drought type conditions most of Australia has been having does tend to lend itself to weather breaking storms, what we've been told to expect from other experts if we call them that on global warming.
But long before global warming was ever mentioned, Australia, the driest continent has been known for "Droughts and Flooding rains "

But I'd definitely say if coming in June you'd not need the same extent of winter woolies and giving some further perspective to that from one who has lived in the south, now in Queensland and places inbetween;
In general terms down south in Vic it is about normal to start looking for warmer clothes towards end of April, into May but not necessarily for full time, June wearing that kind of stuff more and certainly by July/August and you'd likely be using it mostly and still some throughout September/October too.
Sydney/NSW is a little milder during winter and so more short sleeves and jackets etc. without going for the WW anywhere near as much, inland somewhat different, especially for somewhere like Canberra that can get chilly overflow from alpine weather.

Brisbane actually has a decidedly differnt climate to the GC even though Brisbane is less than a 100 km. north but it's inland an extra 15-30 km. depending on your suburb, excepting bayside ones, and it's proximity to water that can make a huge difference, the ocean being not much below 20C during winter and so sea breezes give a warming effect, bit like Gulf Stream for GB.

But living six years on the GC, I was rarely out of shorts and teeshirts in even coldest times.

It seems you may have a connection with Adelaide, but if wanting to minimise chance of colder/wet weather, have you considered going from Adelaide up to the Centre/Darwin and then across to Cairns, June being perfect time for that.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Ah yes, nearly forgot, the School Holidays;
http://www.carhireinsider.com.au/pub...ays-australia/
They are spread out a bit between the states for June/July but not really an issue mid-year as most families usually take holidays over the Xmas break [when they have money!]

And right now like most of the rest of the planet if not all Oz is suffering through what our shifty PM would want people to believe is not a recession because he hocked the government/country to the eyeballs in a great squander and so we'll just be waiting a couple of quarters later to get a big whammy.
But people are not having to look through his smoke screen and are already suffering to the extent that with many not taking holidays just like overseas visitors not coming, you'll have little problem booking accommodation and if anything, by leaving it until when here you'll likely be able to get some great bargains.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 02:51 AM

Been to the Gold Coast a zillion times in winter and can well attest to seeing people sunbathing at that time of year. Agreed, not a lot of difference between June and Aug, and I would still guess that by the end of the latter month, things are warming up slightly.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of this. We probably would pick June, since it is an iffy summer month for us here in Ohio (no, not in Scotland, we are going to Scotland in July this year and their summer is about the same as Australia's winter, so it shouldn't bother me too much). The more I think about it, the more I realize I don't want it to be too hot for traveling. So it could be perfect. I just don't want it to be cloudy/dreary/rainy the entire time I'm there, that will not be how I remember amazing Australia being. Starting in Adelaide is a good idea and then moving around and north. I also don't mind the kids being off. Can't help that.

Thanks!!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Hi Amelie,

I hear you re travelling in hot weather - I'm not fussed on it at all and generally travel to Europe between October - December - and really it's not a problem and as long as you're dressed for it it's all good.

So once again - layers are the go but it's what you're used to - here in Brisbane we get below 20 degrees cent. and we're all like - oh man it's soooooo cold!!! - we're big babies - but if you're used to cold winters etc well the weather here is probably just going to be at treat despite it being winter. I certainly hope so and also hope you have a fantastic time downunder!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Hello,
I have just returned from 3 weeks in Australia in June. In Queensland, I stayed in Palm Cove, just outside of Cairns and the weather was beautiful, I swam every day and found the ocean temperature quite nice. Melbourne was cold (I had to buy a hat and gloves!) while Sydney was perfectly in the middle. So, as mentioned above, bring layers and you will be fine!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lizzie!
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Decide on June 2011, can't wait! Time to start saving.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM

Good luck Amelie.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think you've made a good choice. August can be pretty iffy and is very often quite windy. June's our first Winter month and while it can be cold; it also often has breathtakingly beautiful clear days which are warmer than you might expect.

As others have noted, it's warmer in the North in Australia.

Have fun in Scotland; it's one of my very favourite countries. I'm buying 100 acres to run horses & a few cattle, so I can spend 3 months a year there ... just as soon as I win Lotto!
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

wow Bokhara2! Actually we went to Scotland last year, this post is pretty old! My dream for Australia never dies though since I studied abroad there in 1997. It is definite now though, unless job situations change or something.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 08:47 AM

We visited family along the east coast of Australia in August and September 2009. Mid-August was gorgeous in Sydney, about 70 - 72F. Queensland seemed to have 2 temps: hot and hotter. It was humid. And it was only the end of winter! So I think August is a great time to go. My mom (an Aussie native) chose the dates of our trip and she felt August was great because it wouldn't be too hot and we would avoid the rainy season.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

When/where is the rainy season for June?

I can't go in August, I'm a teacher and we go back at the end so that is just too close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -