Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Solo travel in Australia -- not sure where to go!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I'm turning 30 in the beginning of March and will be spending my birthday on a solo trip in Australia, woohoo! I only have 6 days, so trying to see how to maximum my time. I've always wanted to visit the Gold Coast for the beaches, but now that I'm researching, there isn't much else other than theme parks there. So now I'm rethinking my plans but not sure where to start.

As far as budget, I know Australia is expensive, so I'd like to plan as budget-friendly as possible (for example, I plan to stay at hostels or do Airbnb). I don't have a set budget but would like to be on the frugal side.

Also, these are the things I would like to do:

-beaches -- layout, paddle board and/or take a surf lesson, just hangout all day doing nothing
-national parks -- hike, see waterfalls and craters if there are any, check out more beaches (but not necessarily to layout, just take pictures)
-BIKING! -- bike through national parks, beach towns, and cities; get to one place to another
-cafes -- read, drink coffee/tea, knit

Based on the info above, does anyone have suggestions for an itinerary? I'm thinking of doing the East Coast, but just not sure how to go about it. Thanks so much!!
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 06:43 PM

I live on the Gold Coast and have done for 30 odd years.

Surf lessons or stand up paddle board lessons are available in many spots.
There's South Stradbroke island about 30 minutes by boat with lovely ocean and broadwater beaches.

Lamington National Park (about an hour by car) is in the hinterland, you can hike, and there are waterfalls.

Mount Tamborine in the hinterland has a small NP, hiking trails, quaint shops for handicrafts plus stunning views of the Gold Coast.

Mount Warning just south of the border in NSW (about an hour by car) is an extinct volcano, there's other valley craters around there. It's a stunningly beautiful subtropical rainforest area, with Byron Bay also having great beaches.

The Gold Coast has extensive bike paths and a well established cafe culture. Not sure about the knitting.

Have a look at the Visit Gold Coast website.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

@sartoric Thanks so much for the suggestions! This is a great start, will look into everything you mentioned.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Just booked my tix, Baltimore > BNE March 2-11!! So I have another question (and this probably won't be the last one). Should I rent a car? I see there's a train that goes from BNE to the Gold Coast area, a roundtrip ticket costs about AUD$60. I plan to go to the parks and beaches which are about an hour or so drive from Gold Coast and also want the flexibility to go to NSW, so should I rent a car? I could rent a compact car for about US$151 for my entire stay, but I know buying gas is expensive. So would it be more effective to take the Greyhound or other public transit, or take a tour bus?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 07:23 PM

Great, I'm excited for you !
Where you stay on the Gold Coast will impact on getting to theme parks and other places. I'd recommend Broadbeach as a good location with plenty of restaurants and cafe options and a beautiful beach. It's also on the G, our tram which takes you to Surfers Paradise and points north.

The major theme parks are between 20 minutes (SeaWorld) and 40 minutes (Movieworld and Dreamworld) in your own car, and they are also on public bus routes, which takes a bit longer.

To get to northern NSW you would either need a car or to take a tour.

If you can get a car for that price and you're comfortable driving on the left, go for it.
Plenty of cheap hire cars on the Gold Coast too.

The train is called the Airtrain, takes about 90 minutes from the international terminal to GC.
If you decide to take the train, let me know where you've decide to stay, so I can recommend the best station to get off at. You'd need to get a taxi from there to your accommodation.

PS we call it petrol here, price at the moment is about $1.30 a litre. You have an extremely favourable exchange rate, I wouldn't worry about the cost of fuel. Get an economical small car and the petrol will be a relatively small cost in the scheme of things.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!

Oh oops I meant national parks, I will not visit any theme parks haha. My apologies for the confusion.

Hmm it does sound like renting a car would be better, I wonder why more people don't do it? When I read up I noticed people usually take the bus. As for driving on the left, I'll just be extra careful if I do rent a car hehe.

Also I'll be biking and beaching in between doing the national parks, would that make a difference in whether I rent a car or not?
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 10:45 PM

Consider the Sunshine Coast - Noosa National Park is lovely for walks and you are spoilt for choice for gorgeous beaches.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 12:54 AM

If you can hire a car cheaply for the duration, then I'd say do it. Just make sure your accomodation has parking (at or nearby).

As tasmangirl says, the Sunshine Coast is lovely. You could maybe split your time between both coasts, SC is roughly 2.5 hours north from here and has a different more laid back vibe.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 09:46 PM

Australia is a great tourist place for travelers. You can go to Sydney Opera House, Great Barrier Reef, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Blue Mountains National Park, Melbourne, Bondi Beach, and Daintree National Park.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Errr ... Yes, you can, Great Journeys.
However, I'd suggest all those in 6 days would mean more airports than interesting ports of call.

I agree with Sartoric - if you can open jaw, say into early Brisbane & late out of Sydney & get a car for a good price, go for it!
It would be a stretch - but you can relax at home. BNE-CNS-AYQ-SYD
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 10:00 PM

Hello Bokhara2, I agree with you on this. There should be some days in hand to enjoy the trip. 6 days is not enough.
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 02:24 PM

Hi Lindaack If you only have six days you might need to keep in mind that it is going to take you at least nine or ten hours of non- stop driving to get from Brisbane to Sydney.
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies! I've booked my Airbnb accommodations to stay in the Sunshine Coast area (specifically in Maroochydore). Here's a tentative itinerary. Suggestions are welcome! Especially places to eat or unique classes to take (I saw some interesting outdoor farm-to-table cooking classes, for example). Btw, I'm 90% sure I'm hiring a car. Thanks again!

-March 4: land in Brisbane at 7am, spend the day there and then drive down to Sunshine Coast.

Things to do on other days (in no particular order):
-day trip to Australia Zoo
-day trip to Noosa Head and Great Sandy National Park
-Eumundi Market
-surf lessons (anywhere)
-paddle boarding (anywhere)
-Glass House Mountain or other hinterlands?? Maybe Maleny which has botanical gardens.
-day to Byron bay?? Maybe too far.
-day trip to Gold Coast??
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 06:45 PM

To clarify, you drive north to the Sunshine Coast, so it's technically up

The Brisbane botanical garden is beautiful.

From Maroochydore it's probably at least 2.5 hours drive to the GC, and an extra hour further to Byron Bay. There's a toll you'll have to pay to cross the Gateway Bridge, no toll booths it's all electronic. I think most hire cars have a device to register the payment, but check. I haven't driven to the Sunny coast for a while, but do avoid peak hour traffic thru Brisbane.

The Noosa NP and headland walk could be covered in a half day. Consider also Montville in the hinterland.

Hopefully someone with more recent and extensive experience of the area will reply.
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 12:21 AM

If you plan on spending time inside the city, do visit the Australian museum. It's just across the Hyde park. And when you are there, try out their Spinach Quiche - it's amazing!
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 01:40 PM

Err chumbak, the OP is going to Brisbane. The Australian Museum and Hyde Park are in Sydney, about 1100 kms away.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks for all your advice and suggestions, they were invaluable! I'm back from my trip and wanted to let you know how it went and also provide a bunch of details in case someone needed them to plan their future trip. First I'd like to say it was so amazing and wonderful!! Also, everyone I encountered was so friendly, welcoming, helpful, and charming.

-landed in Brisbane and straight away took a 2 hour free tour with Brisbane Greeters which was great. I arranged the tour by registering online while I was home in the States.

-for my lodging, I stayed in a 2BR/2BA condo with a couple in Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast. Found it on Airbnb. My hosts were awesome--friendly, fun, accommodating and invited me to hang out with them and their friends.

-I hired a car but in Maroochydore--my Airbnb host told me it would've been more expensive if I hired it at the airport. I went with Avis, but I booked it through a third party vendor which complicated things (cost and pickup). I need to check my credit card statement to see how much it ended up costing but I'm guessing between US$150-200. It's more than I had expected, I think bc I got it through the third party vendor and also I bought additional insurance just in case (since I'm not used to driving on the left). Also, for anyone unsure about driving on the left, I'll reassure you that it's pretty easy and you do get used to it, also I got an automatic. The only time I really tensed up was if I saw pedestrians crossing the street, for whatever reason that always freaked me out. Also I got motion sickness while I drove but I took Dramamine which nipped it in the bud. There were lots of roundabouts too but they were no drama. When it was time for me to go home, I drove from Maroochydore to Brisbane airport during morning rush hour with no issues.

-I did a lot of beaching, went to Maroochydore beach, Peregian, Coolum, Noosa, Bryon Bay.

-spent a morning in Montville--had lunch, walked around, checked out the shops, a very cute little town in the hinterland. Around mid-afternoon, I drove to nearby Maleny to check out the botanical gardens. This drive was absolutely gorgeous; and since it was later in the day it was much cooler. The drive was one of the highlights of my trip--sunny, awesome weather, and beautiful scenery. The botanical gardens were also beautiful, since I went around closing time and also on a weekday it wasn't crowded. Also a nice view of the Glasshouse Mountains.

-Wednesday I went to Eumundi Markets in the morning, I figured it'd be less crowded than going on Saturday morning. There was still a crowd but not bad at all. The Markets were cool, it was the only place I got to enjoy authentic Korean food--I'm Chinese American and Korean food is my favorite cuisine, I really missed eating a proper Korean meal during my trip.

-after Eumundi, headed to Noosa Heads which so amazing. Hastings street and the main beach were awesome, the National Park and the coastal hike was absolutely breath-taking.

-Byron Bay on my last day. The drive took about 3.5 hours, I left around 9am. My hire car had the digital thingy for the tolls. I went to the main beach and also attempted to see the Lighthouse but I couldn't find it (I saw the hiking path from the beach to the lighthouse but didn't have time to walk it. But when I drove I couldn't find a place to park and then see the Lighthouse). Still, had a really great time at Byron, lots of shops and a completely different feel than Sunshine Coast. Next time I'm in NSW, I'll have to stay over a night or two in Byron.

-weather--it was mostly rainy during my trip but it was like an on and off rain--pouring one minute, sunny and super hot the next. There was one day where it drizzled the entire day but that was alright.

-SIM card for my mobile--at Brisbane airport I got an international SIM card for my mobile from Telstra. AUS$30 for 3GB. It really REALLY came in handy. After first purchasing, I had to go to a Telstra store later on in the day because it wasn't working for me at first. The Telstra rep changed some settings on my phone and I was connected. There are Telstra stores all over so it's no problem to find one. Really really convenient to have data and much cheaper than going through my US provider which would've charged me US$10/day for use.

Overall, I had a fantastic time and can't wait to visit other parts of the country! If you have questions about anything, let me know!!
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 11:53 AM

Great to hear you enjoyed your visit.
Thanks for coming back to tell us about it !

PS Lots of good Korean restaurants on the Gold Coast for next time
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for your Trip Report & I'm glad you had such a good time, too.

Well done for hopping into the spirit of the places you visited. Sorry about the weather - give us a bit of notice & we'll try to do better for you next time