We're going to Japan!

Search

We're going to Japan!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're going to Japan!

I've posted a couple of times before with questions, and appreciate all the help I've been given. Today, our Japan trip has gone from researching and planning, to reality! United dropped their prices for our exact desired dates in April from over $1,800 per ticket to under $1,100 per ticket! We snagged 'em. They could go lower, but they got down to a price we could live with. These flights will push our FF miles up to where we can get a free U.S. RT flight. So happy right now! I'll be back again soon with more questions, I am sure. Just wanted to share with someone besides my DH!
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Lucky you! I just love it once I've booked air tickets. Suddenly the trip is real.

Have fun planning!
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 05:00 AM

Congrats!!! I've got another week to go before I can rebook our recently aborted trip with our air miles.

Yes, once that airfare is purchased the trip is so much more a reality.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Even though we had already booked one hotel, it definitely didn't seem real. Now it does. I don't know how long the United fare reduction will last, but if anyone's interested, it's on United's web site. It's not showing up on Kayak or ITASoftware or anywhere else...we got MCO to NRT and back for under $1,100 each. Not too bad, I think.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 08:11 AM

LMG

tell us more about your plans...maybe we can chip in with some ideas...maybe we can share some pics, too...it's sort of vicarious for those of us who have been to and love Japan. You will too...
stu t.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

We are allocating 3 days to explore Tokyo a bit. We want to visit Akihabara, Odaiba, Harajuku, Shibuya and Shinjuku areas. We are technology and toy geeks, so we want to shop and look around those areas. We also plan to spend a few hours in Asakusa.

We have 4 days allocated to visiting the 2 Disney parks. Those will be full days - from open to close.

We have 2 days for Kyoto and Himeji. I know it's much too short, but we just want a taste of "old Japan", and where better to see it in a short time than Kyoto.

We have a half a day when we arrive, but we plan to just use that as down time. We have a half a day when we're departing, but that again will be down time.

Hopefully, we can return again in a few years and explore a little more in depth.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM

LMG

in visiting Asakusa, we decided to take the river boat (water bus)from the little pier on the riverside of Marikyu Park (very pretty place). Our Hotel, The Park, was just a block away. The ride is very pleasant and scenic and docks you one block away from Asakusa's main street.....temples, shops, restos, etc. You're in for a wonderful visit...

stu t.

(I do question 4 days for the Disney parks...I would strongly suggest saving those days to extend your stay in Kyoto...a wondrous place! You must have visited Mickey Mouse in the USA)
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Congrats on the tix and the low price. Glad you were able to get a price that fits

You have passed the first test in having a successful trip to Japan. You have mastered the art of patience
Now the real planning begins,lol

Aloha!
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

tower, I read about that boat ride. I put it on the "maybe" list. With only 3 days to explore Tokyo, I wasn't sure if we should do it. I'm still researching - thanks for the feedback!

As for Disney, we are huge fans. We are annual passholders at Walt Disney World. We took a trip to California in 2006 specifically to go to Disneyland (also went to San Diego). Last year, we specifically went to Paris to go to Disneyland Paris (and we spent time in the city, and in Germany and Austria). We will eventually go to Hong Kong Disneyland, too. If not for Tokyo Disney, I'm not sure that my husband would have considered going to Japan. (I have wanted to go, but we try to travel to places we both want to see). So, because of Disney, we are going - and I am planning as much other stuff for us to see as possible - temples, shrines, etc. And as I share my research with him, he is starting to get really excited about ALL the things we might do and see there, and not just Disney!
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

ht, I thought I would have to be patient a lot longer waiting for better fares. I was searching twice a day...and growing weary. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about it anymore!
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM

lmg

the boat ride in question is only about 40 minutes.....and you can take a taxi or the subway to other sites FROM Asakusa.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Tokyo Disney: We are also annual pass holders for Disney World and big Disney fans. Compared to Epcot and Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disney is VERY small. We stayed 3 nights at the nearby Sunroute Hotel (very nice), this gave us 2 full days. Of the 2 parks, Disney Sea was by far the best. Disneyland was very crowded and is a smaller version of Magic Kingdom. We only visited that park to see the Electric light parade anyway. We spent one and a half days at Disney Sea, Loved it! We took the early bus to Narita Airport right from the hotel.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, TravMimi! We're especially excited about seeing DisneySea, since it seems so different from any other theme park we've ever been to. We're planning 2 days there to fully explore every nook and cranny. We're giving two days to the Disneyland park only because we've heard it's much busier than DisneySea, and we don't want to feel too rushed. Then, the long lines won't stress us out as much, and we can actually enjoy our time. We learned our lesson from Disneyland Paris - we spent only one day there, rushing around the park at top speed, and now it's all a blur. Won't make that mistake again.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM

I know you'll really enjoy DisneySea. We were in Japan for 2 weeks in June and had a fantastic time. Already planning our return trip. Museum of Science and Innovation at Odaiba was great too. Loved Kyoto and Hakone. Being volcano people we are doing trip research in that area this time. Have a wonderful trip!!
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

We've got a half day scheduled for Odaiba. We want to visit the Museum of Science and Innovation and walk around just a little bit. Will this be enough time?
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM

You will love Disney Sea. They did a fabulous job and we enjoyed it thoroughly. The lines are much shorter than Magic Kingdom, so you can get through the attractions much quicker. The only attraction that we waited in line for (30 minutes) was the Venetian gondola ride. You should be able to cover most of it all in one day, and go back on the second day to revisit the attractions that you enjoyed and try different restaurants (they are all excellent).

The gift shops have lots of cute things found only at the Japan Disney, and the bake shops have mickey shaped baked goods.

At Tokyo Disneyland we had lunch at the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall. The meals were very cute--check it out while you're there.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM

LMGSONIC: We spent half a day at the science museum alone. It was a place my grandson really wanted to visit in depth. We never got to see any of the rest of Odaiba. As far as DisneySea, the lines and crowds are much smaller than Disneyland. If you don't mind not getting on the same car, the line for singles is even faster (walk on in some cases). As offlady said, we also found the restaurants very good, and the gift shops had lots of unusual items.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

offlady, the Queen of Hearts is on our must-do list for lunch or dinner one day. And we are bringing an extra suitcase for souvenirs!
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

TravMimi - we probably won't explore the Museum in depth. We kind of skim the surface unless something really catches our attention. So, I'm thinking maybe 5 hours will be enough for Odaiba, but I'm going to keep researching to find out the consensus from other people who have visited recently.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Just a note for LMGSONIc who just replied to my Tokyo trip report. I saw Asimo at the Miraikan but with a quick search it seems he is also at the Honda Welcome Plaza . Apparently there are 46 of them! All ready to take over the world soon? See the Wikipedia extract below. But he does get around a bit so check his official web page at http://asimo.honda.com/Events.aspx under TRAVELS .
I found him unmissable. (Us Nerds want robots and I do own two robotic vacuum cleaners but I really want a robot cook. If the price drops, I’m in!) He was one of the main reasons I went to Tokyo so track him down if you can. You will also enjoy the films on other robots too. The child/toddler robot was particularly enchanting!

Wikepedia.As of February 2009, there are over 100 ASIMO units in existence.[3] Each one costs just under $1 million (¥106,710,325 or €638,186 or £504,720) to manufacture,[4] and some units are available to be hired out for $166,000 (¥17,714,316 or €105,920 or £83,789) per year.[5]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -