Search

We're booked!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're booked!

Hurray, finally booked our reservations from Chicago to Hong Kong to BKK, with an upgrade to Business Class using UAL miles. Will spend a couple of days in HK then go to BKK, Chaing Rai area, down to a beach (Phuket or Koh Samui, still haven't decided) and back to Bangkok. Have 18 days for all of this including travel days. Just wanted to share my glee with those of you who have contributed your advice to my planning. I'm sure I'll be back with some questions soon!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 06:56 PM

congratulations! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:36 PM

your on your way now....now the work really begins....leave lots of gaps as you will find things in all of these places that people will tell you about on the road so you will want time to plug some of them in....don't over schedule....also because of the heat...its the worst chicago july/august day plus 20%.....
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:40 PM

(hello from Zurich!)

You will have a great time on your trip. BKK is one of the most exciting and exotic places I've been. It "calls" me back about every 6 months or so (sometimes more often).

Relax and plan as you go. Bob is right. Things present themselves and you need the flexibility to make quick changes. Last minute booking is usually easy to do in Thailand.

Have a great trip (and let us help you if we can).
Carol
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:52 AM

carol---i was sure the lion ate you, but alas
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Bob, It has been a great two weeks in Switzerland and Italy w/hubby. Part of it was (his) business. Back to reality tomorrow. sigh... We've really enjoyed some new places as well as some old favorites. Have you spent much time in Switzerland and Italy?

No, the lion didn't have a chance!!! He wouldn't want me... I'm too tough!! LOL

to chicago999...
Bangkok is a delightful destination. I fly all the time out of Chicago to get there. I did the trip to Hong Kong first on the FIRST (of six or seven) trips to BKK so far (since 2001). I would love to go back there and spend more time sometime. It was dreadfully hot when I was there, and we also had a terrific rain storm; but I would still go back. Just not in July or August.

You don't say what time of year you are scheduled.
Carol
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:58 PM

carol....we have had quite a few trips to italy....we like it quite well...prices can be a problem....for our 60th birthdays last year we spent a whole week in venice in an apartment in dorsodurso and loved it....have also rented an apartment near san gig. ---was leaving boston on 9-11-01 in fact....have done other bits of italy except rome....karen has interest in cinc terre.....

switzerland escapes us....we have driven through a few times but find it a bit cold---not weather but hospitality....the swiss have outdone the germans in their up tightness...people love it there but i guess we need to give it a better chance...its also very expensive....SO INSTEAD WE LOVE THAILAND.....because it has it all....

any news on a june trip???? what else do you have to do??? chicago in june is the beginning of the hot period and all those tournados.....
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Akkk, don't tell my better half about that heat. Chicago on it's worst day PLUS 20%???? I was prepared for hot, but not THAT hot! I'll act surprised.

(We go in February -- maybe that's the cool breeze time of year?)

June in Chicago is perfect, I'll be right where I want to be: in my garden.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:32 PM

it will be hot and humid...sorry...

TO ALL MY FODORS FRIENDS:: i booked bed today for a dinner in june....you win...

bob
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:25 PM

Bob
You will enjoy eating at the Bed. I am SURE. I'm really glad you are going to give it a try. Please post your "reaction" to the place after you've been there.
Carol
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:02 PM

it can't possibly be as good as the chili...
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:59 AM

Ming's chili IS worth writing home about. LOL
Carol
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:22 PM

bed just answered back that they do not book more than a month in advance...i will call them when i arrive in bkk....not too eager to be accomodating??? strike two...
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Not much of a surprise, a BKK restaurant refusing to take Bob's reservation. I'm guessing they would have better luck if Karen had doen the contact.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Bob
Please don't give up!
Carol
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:34 AM

carol---come-on...find time and join us for chili?? we would even invite gpanda....he probably is a closet pool expert
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 08:22 AM

I really WISH I could. But it just isn't in the cards right now. Son and I really MUST get this book project done in the next few months. It's almost around-the-clock work.

If there is any change in the situation, I'll be the first one to report on it right here.

Rumour has it that the Brunswick lease is not being renewed and the owner is trying to find another location near the present one. Ming's chili may be "on hold" for a bit. I hope NOT, but I have no control over the situation.

Ming also can make tacos and a great "chili-mac-5 ways" or whatever, similar to the Steak & Shake! (do you have Steak & Shake out east???

Carol

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:12 PM

there are no chain restaurants allowed east of chicago and with good reason...

i do not think we have them here...but i have heard of them...give me pad thai any day---that's real thai food isn't it??
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Hey chicago, I'm pretty amazed to read your post because that is the exact itinerary that my wife and I are considering for early December. We plan to leave right after Thanksgiving and get back the week before Christmas.

In your research did you consider a visit to Angkor Wat in Cambodia? I'd love to make that a part of our trip but I wonder if that would be squeezing too much into 19 days.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Yes, John R., we sure did, but my husband vetoed Cambodia. This is already an adventurous trip by his standards, and he just can't get the images from the Vietnam War era out of his way. I did find what looked to be a fantastic hotel there (probably read about it in here somewhere.) It's called Shinta Mani(www.shintamani.com.) We would have cut one day out of Hong Kong, one day out of the beach time, and one day out of Chaing Rai to fit it in --- that did feel like a lot of places to go, to be honest, so I was a little bit relieved when he put his foot down on Cambodia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -