Search

Bali in a few weeks time.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali in a few weeks time.

Hello helpful Fodor's people,

We're trying to escape to Bali in the first week of May. We'll have about 8 days, 4 are earmarked for Ubud, the other 4 are up for discussion.

Not wanting the well known Kuta, Legian, Seminyak area, but a lesser known spot that provides local eating, shopping and just relaxing with a book. We do enjoy temples and scenic views, and are exploring options for an early retirement to either Bali or Thailand.

Any suggestions ?

Many thanks
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 04:59 PM

We like Sanur, though I don't know that it is lesser-known, but it is not a busy beach/town.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 06:07 PM

You could look at the quiet neighborhoods just north of Seminyak and south of Tanah Lot -- both inland and along the coast: Umalas, Batu Belig, Kerobokan, Canggu. Canggu is the collective name for several villages, such as Pererenon, Seseh, Buwit, Tiying Tutul. All are close to the beach and within a short drive to many shops, spas and restaurants.

Aside from a few neighborhoods which are densely built, the individual villas are scattered among the various villages. There are a few resorts and villa complexes. Desa Seni (which has a yoga-wellness focus) is one of the more established, but there seem to be a lot of new places popping up.

Personally, I like the Petitenget area, which is usually listed as North Seminyak, but is really part of Kerobokan. It can be both serene and convenient. There are always goings on at Petitenget temple and the beach is nice.

There are lots of options in Sanur and just north of Sanur, but you need to avoid Denpasar. I'd also look at the beach towns in the northeast between Keramas and Amed.

It's fairly quiet in Bali now so you should be able to get good rates.

Let me know if I can answer any questions about retirement in Bali. It's been wonderful, but challenging.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both.

Marmot, I may very well have more questions about the retirement challenges.
Where did you retire from ?

Going to look at some accommodation options now, will no doubt be back later to refine.

Thanks again
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 06:55 PM

We're American but have lived and worked in Asia -- Hong Kong and Jakarta -- for 20 years before retiring to Bali. You would think that we would have been quite familiar with the culture and bureaucracy of the region, but Bali has its own set of complexities.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Caroline,
Looking forward to hearing about your plans for Bali! Java and Bali are looking like our next Asian adventure! Not for a while, but the mix of culture & sights, scenic landscape, and relaxation are really calling to me these days.

Maybe you'll be retired in Bali by the time we finally do make the trip and we'll get to meet face-to-face!

Paule
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi Paule

It's all very last minute as usual, but hopefully we'll find a few options for the "grand plan".

The dilemma I can't solve at the moment is what to do with the four legged family.

Indonesia does seem to have tougher requirements for retirement visa, so we may end up in Thailand.

I'm sure we'll cross paths one day !

Cheers
Caroline
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Actually getting a retirement visa in Indonesia is quite simple. You have to pay for yearly renewal and your passport disappears for weeks each year, but other than that, the process is fairly painless. The best approach is to go through an agent or law firm that has experience in handling these visas. Which requirements are worrying you?

You can bring dogs and cats into Jakarta, but getting them into Bali is one of those challenges I mentioned earlier. It can be done but takes some preseverance.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Marmot

Haven't fully researched, but read somewhere about proof of $1500 US per month income.

The two dogs we have are rescue dogs and a bit neurotic, wouldn't last a minute in SEAsia. They are largish too, and I think the stress of moving, even if we could keep them safe when we get there, would be traumatic. We've thought about this long and hard, can't see it being fair to the dogs.

Still pondering on this aspect, something will come up to make it work.

Where are you in Bali ? Could we meet for a coffee perhaps ?
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 06:14 PM

Sure, I'm in Petitenget, North Seminyak. You can reach me at [email protected]
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again.

I'll send an email once flights are confirmed.

Cheers
Caroline