First-timer's 10 Days in Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying to Tokyo for our 1st visit to Japan. Want to see the famous cherry blossoms & eat some good sushi ;-). We have also talked about going to a ryokan in the countryside and traveling to Kyoto. Is this too much for a first time 10 day visit? We do NOT want to be typical tourists who spend one night in each city--we want to experience the true flavor of Japan. Recommendations?
On a side note--where is the BEST sushi in Tokyo?
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM

Are you trying to put together plans for this or next year cherry blossoms? If this year you are very late in planning and will have to likely take what you can get at this point.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 05:00 PM

The typical tourist in Japan does what you describe. Tokyo, Kyoto, and another stop (maybe a traditional ryokan in Hakone, or Miyajima, or Takayama). That is not too much for 10 days. Japan has a few flavors (which sounds good to say but am not sure what it means). It is all the "real" Japan.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 09:51 AM

10 days as a first-timer in Japan? Cherry blossom season in Tokyo & Kyoto? Well, here's how we did it...

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...rom-mrmsgo.cfm

Scroll down a bit; the "informative" part of the trip report starts about 1/3 of the way down. Hope this helps!
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 04:11 AM

I am another very later planner for this April cherry Blossom season.

Mr.go, thanks for such a detailed trip report - its going to be really useful on our upcoming trip. similar route to yours but opting for central Honshu over Hiroshima and miyajima.

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...ion-advice.cfm

would you mind advising how you booked the accommodation and also how you do you get tickets for the Myako odori. would really like to go for that if our timing is right.

thnx.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 06:47 AM

Nikidi, You can book Miyako Odori tickets through your front desk at your Kyoto hotel. Have you seen this site yet?

http://www.miyako-odori.jp/odori_en.html

I have seen your other thread and will answer later today when I have more time.

Aloha!
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 08:40 AM

thanks so much hawaiiantraveler.. I was really hoping you will answer my itinerary question!! i have never been this last minute with any previous trip..so ur expert views will be much appreciated as soon as i iron out the itinerary i can start looking at accommodation then!
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 08:09 PM

hotels will only book for first class tickets I am finding... wondering how difficult it is to buy tickets when we are there for second class...and if the viewing is good... hawaiian traveler... do you know??

thanks, i.