Search

Organized "food and bar crawls" in Tokyo or Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2018, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Organized "food and bar crawls" in Tokyo or Kyoto

Hi everyone

I'm not looking to spend a mint on this but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

While in Madrid (for instance) I happened to come across a food and wine "bar crawl" which was just that - fairly cheap payment to the leader and he took the gaggle of us (strangers) to four of his favorite places and we had wine and tapas at each place. A fun evening and a way to sample a variety of things in a social group.

It was not formal, full of educational tips, etc, it was just some good food and wine and a half dozen or so, of us. and cheap. I don't even think I spent 50 euros to the leader and of course you paid for your own wine and whatnot. We sampled sherry at most places and then whatever else you wanted to try.

Does this ring a bell with anyone, in Tokyo or Kyoto?

I've seen reference to some very nice ones but none of them were cheap and I'm not looking for a four hour mini-course-with-optional-uni-credits course on food.

Thanks for any tips!

I did something similar in Dublin years ago, and then in London they have those London Walks which used to be really cheap and ocasionally they had organized bad crawls, too. that sort of thing...
Old May 19th, 2018, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Tokyo, there is no shortage of places - more than anyone can see in a lifetime. It is all up to how much in the thick of things you want to get.
There are always little hole in the wall places like Omoide Yokocho (a.k.a. Piss Alley) in Shinjuku or Nonbei Yokocho in Shibuya.
Rather less grotty is Hoppy St by Sensoji.
For more mainstream places, you might look at Bento.