Travellers cheques or ATM's ? ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have always taken travellers cheques with us but now that ATMs are just about everywhere does this make travellers cheques unnecessary ? We are about to leave for HK, Singapore and Malaysia. What to do ?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:21 PM

All of those cities have several ATM machines, just make sure your PIN number is 4 digits..I always still take a few hundred dollars of traveller's cheques and a credit card just in case...When we just visited HKG, I had to try several ATM machines before I could find one that worked with my card..MY theory is to take a mix and then you are prepared for anything!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:55 PM

atm's with perhaps a back-up of a few checks....take as many atm cards as you own to avoid mal function
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:27 PM

It's been many years since I used traveler's checks. I access cash via ATMs (I've had no difficulty in HK or SIngapore or in KL. If you are going to smaller towns in Malaysia, you might want to stock up on cash before you go.)

I always take a couple of credit cards and my emergency stash is a couple of US$100 bills.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:58 PM

I brought $500 in travellers checks and brought $200 home. Used the ATM machines but was glad I had the checks as backup if needed.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. It sounds like at least some travellers cheques would still be a good idea.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:28 PM

ATMs are great, unless there is some computer glitch, certainly always have at least 2 cards, preferably from 2 issuers, I always agree with the idea of keeping one in the safe and one with you, I would though keep some Traveller's Checks as a spare back up. They last for years so you don't have to change them once your trip is over, just keep them for next time you travel if you don't use them.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:52 PM

i lost a card on samui last year because it was eaten by the machine on a sunday and that presented a problem...if it had been my only card i would have had a problem
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:54 PM

my bank told me that some 3rd world country transactions are refused because of the high crime rate and that included thailand and some other asia countries....i could use that card for debit but not for atm's when i got it back from the bank two days later....
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:18 AM

Galiano

Plenty of ATMS abound the places you are proposing to go. But remember that you may be charged a finance fee for any cash withdrawals. So do chk with those local bank in your area who have issued your bank/credit card/s for fees & terms on cash withdrawls in other countries.

Tons of merchants/retailers also accept all major credit cards.

So I am sure that experience has taught you that a mix & maths of cash/T.C's/C.C's are always safe though realistically I have never taken any T.C's on any of my trips in the last 10 years !

Beware of ..... (not pickpockets but a forgetful Mind ! HA!)
Rick shaw driver
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:40 AM

i did not find any atm that charged a fee, but your home bank may...and it can be substantial...one of my banks charges $7.50 per foreign w/d
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:54 AM

Bob's comment is well-taken. While my bank recently raised their price on using a foreign ATM to $2, someone else posted here that their bank charges $10. I would change the way I managed my money (or change my bank!) if that were the case for me. My friend's credit union has no charge for using a foreign ATM.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:56 AM

Personally...I'm a traveler's check person...have used them for three decades and have no problem with still using them...although I pay large hotel bills with a credit card.I won't use my ATM card abroad. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Well I've just come back from the bank and I bought $1000 Cdn. travellers cheques, got a bit of US cash (probably for tips ) and will take along my Visa, M/C and bank card. That outta do it ! !