Train to Jaffna Sri Lanka

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year we did the Cultural Triangle, game park, bird sanctuary, tea country and the Galle Literary Festival. We enjoyed the latter so much that we are planning our second trip to Sri Lanka. This time we would love to add a visit to the the north, specifically Jaffna. After attending the 2018 Galle Literary Festival we have scheduled some R&R time on the beach in Tangalle. We skipped Colombo last time and thought we would get our Tangalle hotel to arrange a transfer to Colombo for a couple of days and then take the train to Jaffna. In Jaffna we would hire local guides to take us around. Note: we were not thrilled with our car + driver last year and found some of the drives last year a bit scary and also too long that is why we are considering the train. Although several forums mention that one can book train tickets on line this seems not to be the case on the R.R. official website. Does anyone have any experience with taking the train from Colombo to Jaffna? Any other comments on visiting Jaffna would also be most appreciated.
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 12:05 PM

Taking the intercity train to Jaffna is a wise choice, it runs daily,
Colombo Fort to Jaffna departing at 0545hrs and arrives Jaffna at 11.50hrs,
Jaffna to Colombo Fort departing at 1345hrs and arrives Colombo at 2005hrs
The air-conditioned first class is reasonably clean/comfortable not to mention well priced too. I think the ticket is less than US$ 10.

To the best of my knowledge there is no online booking facility, so you will need a travel agent or someone to make a booking for you and I would advise you to book it well in advance. If you need help to make a booking I will be happy to help out.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Mohammed. I have contacted Boutique Sri Lanka. Their quote for suggested hotel prices are somewhat higher than I can do myself online but if they save the hassle of having to get our own rail tickets it should be worth it. We are planning on 3 nights in Jaffna and am putting together a list of things we want to see while leaving some space for serendipity!