Search

changing $ to baht/bangkok hotel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 02:05 AM
gai
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing $ to baht/bangkok hotel recommendations

hi! i will be arriving in bangkok at 1:30 AM (!!!) and will be departing for koh samui at around 11:30 the same day. i will obviously have to change some money at the airport but where is the best place to change dollars for baht? are there 24 hour money changers? also, can you recommend an inexpensive but clean and safe place to stay for the few hours that i will be in bangkok?
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 02:32 AM
gai
Original Poster

or is there a lounge at the airport where i can stay?
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 05:15 AM

The easiest thing to do is to use one of the ATM's--there are several in the airport. Rama Gardens is a decent place with relatively inexpensive (compared to the Amari) rooms about 5 minutes from the airport.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:10 AM
sandi

There are ATMs at the airport.

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:46 AM

yes there are both atms and money exchange places at the airport...you will do far better using the atm as it relates to the exchange rate.....why not just use a credit card for the things you need during your short bkk stay and change money at a bank in ko samui.....maybe you need some small change for the bkk stay....??
another option at the airport is the comfort inns....there are two....the area around the airport is not very nice really and not a place that would be interesting to stay or walk around---not dangereous i don't mean, just broing......

i think craig's suggestion of rama gardens would be good as they have a nice pool where you could relax a bit before the return to the airport....you will come in at one terminal and leave from the other terminal, i think...they are linked together by a long walkway....the waiting areas in the airport are just like you would find all over the world....
expect to spend 1 hour with customs and immigration (when entering the immigration hall walk past the first several lines and go nearer the far side or the middle to speed your processing)..they are on two different levels....
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Plenty of ATMs and also the Money Exchange bureaus are open 24/7.
I would either choose the Rama Gardens for 3 star or try Comfirt Suites for cheaper, or a choice of others, this website has 5 hotels in the airport area of varying price ranges:-

http://www.huahin.4t.com/custom3.html
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 09:51 PM
gai
Original Poster

thanks for all your replies!!! i need some baht for the ticket to koh samui, the hotel, etc. do the banks give good rates? is there a lounge at the airport for those in between flights like me?
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:10 AM
sandi

gai -

Again, use ATMs - banks don't offer the best exchange rates.

If you should find an ATM that isn't working (out of money), there's usually another a way day the corridor in the terminal; and usually next to each ATM machine is an exchange bureau which is your next best bet. You don't need to find a bank, though through your travels you're likely to find ATMs affiliated with banks and these are still better to use than going into the bank directly - the bank will probably direct you to their ATM machine.

Even in the lounge area of the airport, the seating isn't too comfortable, so any of the hotels listed above would be your best bet. As far as your ticket to Koh Samui, you can pay be credit card, you don't need to pay in local currency.

Do remember to put aside 500Baht which you'll need as your departure fee when leaving Thailand.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 07:13 AM
brotherleelove2003

Also, remember that if you fly out of Samui you will be required to pay an additional 400 baht as a departure tax.

There is no lounge per se at the airport, only seating near the departure gates which means you'll have to go through customs and passport control to get to that part of the airport. Going to a nearby hotel is a much better option.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:01 AM

You will get about B 39 to the US$ at the moment. Domestic terminal would be pretty much closed except for the cleaners! Opens up around 5 am, do just go to a hotel nearby, book and they will pick you up, get some sleeep in a nice bed/shower etc otherwise you will be a 'wreck' by the time you get to Samui! Sounfs like yo are comming in from West Coast on that flight time so have a good sleep!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:44 PM
gai
Original Poster

am actually just flying in from manila. detoxing at spa samui... then bangkok for two days before flying back. would rather pay in baht as if i have to change from dollar to baht then pay in peso, i might end up losing big time. esp. since the peso is so unstable now.

thanks again for everything! found a hotel called sena place, 20 mins. from the airport, for only 800 baht!
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 02:47 AM

The website for Bangkok Airport is http://www.airportthai.co.th. Click on Bangkok. According to the website, you can hire a dayroom (4-hour minimum) with a bed. Day rooms are available for passengers on the 2nd and 4th floor of Terminal 1&2 at "reasonable rates". Advance reservation of rooms can be made by yourself through the telephone number 0-2535-3710-7.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:03 PM

>you can hire a dayroom (4-hour minimum) >with a bed.

The point is they are DAY ROOMS. They don't open until 6am or 7am. They are not open for ovenights. So don't expect them to be open when you get in at 1:30am.