Reload this Page >

Getting Around In Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Mike

Traveling to Bangkok for sightseeing for 2.5 days.<BR><BR>What is the best way to see and experience the city ?<BR><BR>

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 05:28 AM
pat

Mike<BR>Definitely, taxi would be the best way to explore the city if you have only 2 1/2 days. BTS, the elevated train, is also suitable to avoid the traffic jam, however, the route is quite short and may not be available at some attractions. The third way is air-con. bus, pay a little bit more, but better smell.<BR>Welcome to asia.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Pas

As the majority of the historic sites are on or close to the river, I would recommend getting down to the river and then taking an express boat. Among the many sites you can see this way are The Grand Palace and Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Wat Rakhang, The Royal Barges as well as Chinatown, Pahk Klong Dtalaat flower market, Koh Kret island. In some cases, it may be necessary, having left the Express boat, to then take a cross-river ferry.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 08:28 PM
Dana

Where can I take the express boat to the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun? How much does it cost? I'm not familiar with this at all? Thanks

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 10:24 PM
Pas14

You can take the Expressboat from any of the Expressboat piers along the river. The easiest place to get the expressboat is at Taksin Bridge, as it is adjacent to the last station on the Skytrain. The cost varies depending on the type of boat and the distance. Do not take the boats with the yellow flag (the big express boat) as they have very limited stops. Typical prices are 6-15 Baht. Just state your destination and the ticket collector on the boat will tell you how much it is.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 02:08 AM
BigDave

The best way to EXPERIENCE the city is by tuk-tuk. It will scare the life out of you and clog your pores with diesel fumes but it's cheap and exciting.<BR>We asked to go to the Grand Palace when we were there. It didn't open for another hour so our tuk-tuk driver took us to his temple. It was tucked away in a tiny backstreet near chinatown and was very peaceful and quite beautiful. We'd never have seen this on the skytrain!!!