hard to get info on here

Search

hard to get info on here

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard to get info on here

I've been active on here for several years, and gotten great info. I've learned that most of the best posters don't do cruises. As I get older, it's difficult for us to do otherwise. So hopefully we can get some suggestions about things to do in our various ports of call. We will leave from Singapore. Been there before. First stop will be Nathon Thailand. Then Laem Chabong. Been to Bangkok, so looking for other things to do. Then Sihanoukville Cambodia. Next is Phu My. Nha Trang is next, followed by Da Nang, and Halong Bay.
Any recommendations on things to do in these Ports would be greatly appreciated. I usually start with a Fodor's tour book but I think the current one is way out of date . I would appreciate a recommendation on a more current one .
Old May 16th, 2017, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you discovered cruisecritic.com? There is also a Cruise forum here on Fodors. All I can suggest is not missing the Cham museum in Da Nang.

I tend to use Lonely Planet or Rough Guide because they are good on logistics. You may find Eyewitness more suitable.
Old May 16th, 2017, 09:56 PM

I also like to browse through the Insight Guides, and the National Geographic books because the pictures are inspiring. However, I do like the Rough Guides the best for logistics.
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:21 PM

Here’s a quick guide to Laem Chabang

Laem Chabang, Chonburi.

This is a massive container port and there is relatively little to do within a short distance of the docks.
You ship information office should have some ideas for you.
There is a TESCO shopping Mall the “harbour Mall” which has some reasonable eateries ... and there is a hospital. The main road along the coast is “Sukhumvit” - this is very busy - an older major artery, it stretches from Bangkok to Cambodia.

Bangkok is about 1`30 km North of L/C and a bit of a stretch if you have limited shore leave.

Laem Chabang is about 30 km north of Pattaya and there should be taxis available to take you there. - Shopping eating and some rather crowded beaches with uninviting water, for the most part.

Sri Racha is about 10 km north of Laem Chabang - shopping, Seafood and a plethora of Japanese restaurants. There used to be the added attraction of Koh Loy Island attached by a causeway - but at present this is CLOSED due to the causeway having collapsed (AGAIN!).
There is a passenger ferry to Koh Sichang from Sriracha which can be a pleasant day out (or even an overnight stay)
There are various rural attractions; Bang Phra reservoir, Khao Keow Zoo...please, if you have a shred of humanity in you DON’T visit the Sri Racha Tiger zoo.....in many countries those who run this place would be prosecuted or imprisoned.

Bang Saen Beach - Past Sriracha - about 30 km from L/C is Bang Saen beach. This is a resort town vey popular with Thai people on weekends and holidays.
A long beach mostly covered with rental deckchairs, more seafood restaurants than you could shake a stick at....the sea can get pretty dirty depending on wind and tide......Monkey mountain (Khao Samuk) has good viewpoints totally ruined by the hordes of monkeys. Ang Sila has a fish market and loads of restaurants and souvenir shops - (mostly mortar & pestle which is what Ang Sila means)

Beaches - the best beaches are all South of Pattaya - you’ll need to arrange you own transport to get there easily and without taking up too much time. E.g. Nang Ram Beach (Sattahip) managed by the Navy, is about 75 km from L/C. Phala branch near Ban Chang is about 70 km from L/C

L/C is an industrial hub of Thailand and at present they are upgrading the highway systems in the region, which means you, will encounter roadworks - Thai-style - in almost any direction you choose to go.
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

khunwilko-Thanks.This is the kind of info I need for every stop. Thursdaysd suggested cruise critic. Yes I have looked there, but most posters don't talk about options like you did. Thanks again.