Search

were going to stay at rachamankha but..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
were going to stay at rachamankha but..

Hi all,
We were going to stay at the Rachamankha but I was just looking at their website and I see they say they don't allow children under 12 there, we have a 2 1/2 year old. So...any suggestions on where else to stay? We are going at the end of this month. Thanks for any advice!
Shelly
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:54 AM

Some places I bookmarked.
http://www.kaomailanna.com/home.htm
http://thaivillas.com/indexflash.html
http://www.maggysplace.com/home.htm
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:12 AM

You could try Tamarind Village or Baan Orapin.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:41 AM

Novotel is a little way from town , perhaps 10 minutes, but a bargain at around USD 45, I don't know if you are familiar with Novotels but they operate to a good standard and are part of the Accor Group ( which also runs Sofitels etc )
Rydges nearer to things, just over USD 40, Mountain view 50, Suite about 110, until end of this month still the stay 3 nights pay for 2 deal which is a bargain and also free airport transfer, so you could pay about 220 for a suite for 3 nights, bargain at about then 73 per night if staying for 3 nights. None of those charge for the child if sharing bed but you can always pay for an extra bed.

try www.nongasia.com/chiang_mai_hotels.html

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Hi Shelly

We are going next August with a 2 year old and came across the same problem with Rachamanka. We are splitting our time (6 days in the area) between Baan Orapin (as mentioned above by Gloria - if you do a search there are a few reviews in the archives) and Jirung Spa and Resort.

See http://www.baanorapin.com/ - it is air conditioned and family run and I have checked with the owner who said ground floor suites/rooms would be suitable for a toddler. It has the added bonus of lovely gardens and is in a compound (ie gated). There isn't a swimming pool however if that was important to you.

The second part of our trip we are going to stay at the Jirung Spa & Resort which is 30 mins out of Chiang Mai - for a bit of variety really and some relaxation and pampering. A 2 bed suite there is very well priced. This place has a pool too.

Tamarind Village is owned by the same people as Rachamankha and has a similar look but not quite so luxurious. It gets very booked up though by all accounts so you would need to get in contact with them soon. If you can't get a booking through any of the websites like sawadee.com or R24, try contacting Tamarind direct as they may well have rooms they have kept back from the agents.

Let us know where you go and how you find it - also any places you visit with your child that are particularly suitable or enjoyable for him/her.

Lucy
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help! We have booked 3 days at Baan Orapin but the last night we were to stay there was full so we are working on maybe staying at a spa the last day. I will be sure to let everybody know how our trip goes..We start in Chiang mai, then to Chiang Rai (at the Legend) then on to Bangkok (at Sofitel Silom)..we leave in 2 weeks!!!
Shelly
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Hi Shelly

Let us know how you find Baan Orapin - especially with your little one and what room is suitable etc.

Re. your last night - perhaps with the money you saved by staying at Baan Orapin, you could spend a night at the Mandarin Oriental or the Four Seasons. Both look to die for!

Lucy
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:00 PM

We stayed at the Rachamankha in July with our children(ages 6 and 8). I wanted to stay at Tammarind Village but it was completely booked. I found conflicting info on whether children were allowed at Rachamankha but somewhere I read that they were. I also didn't have any response when I emailed them. I was able to get the reservation through the travel agent in the lobby of the Marriott Resort and Spa. She called the Rachamankha and was told they don't allow children because there are many antiques. However, I told her that I had read that they do allow children. As a result, the manager supposedly made an exception and let us stay. It was definitely more of a couples place, and I did feel like I had to keep the kids quiet at the pool, but I'm glad we were able to experience the place. We also only stayed for 1 night. Next time we will probably try Tammarind Village, or possibly splurge and stay at the Mandarin Oriental which we visited 1 day.