Search

Vietnam in June end: Sapa vs Hanoi / ha long bay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vietnam in June end: Sapa vs Hanoi / ha long bay

Hi,

We are a couple travelling with our 5 year old daughter visiting Vietnam for the first time. Tentative broad itinerary is to fly into Hanoi, explore the city the next day, then take an overnight cruise to ha long bay. From there, go to hoi an and spend 3/4 days exploring hue and hoi an. Move on to HCMC for couple of days and then finally bust the budget and spend 2/3 days at six senses, con dao. Fly out of HCMC.

Specific questions since we are doing this in June end -
- does it make sense to do Sapa because of better weather? Hanoi would be quite hot at this time.
- I had heard Ha long bay is one of the trip highlights but for that reason is quite crowded. Is the bay really dirty and over crowded? Is Bai Tu Long bay better and worth it? Or should we just forget about this area and do sapa instead?
- again from weather perspective, is it better to spend more days in hoi an / hue area or shift focus to HCMC / Mekong delta?

Thanks
Shweta
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 06:43 AM

June is the best time to visit central Vietnam. We were there around that time last year and had great weather in Hue and Hoi An. We also saw pretty good weather in Saigon and I would say you would see better weather there and in the delta, than in Hanoi which will be hot and wet. June is not really the time to head up to Sapa as it is likely to be very wet and hiking in the valleys, the main reason for going, is likely to be difficult.

Bai Tu Long is preferable to Halong Bay which does get very crowded. I wouldn't describe either as dirty. Both involve a long( 4-5 hour), boring ( especially for a five year old!) bus journey to get there. Also, I am not sure the views would be great if you do get wet weather ( as is likely)

If weather is your primary consideration then Central Vietnam wins hands down. Lots to do in and around Hue and Hoi An. There is a wonderful train journey between Hue and Da nang for a touch of local life.

We were in the delta in Feb/March and loved it. The weather in June won't be as good but probably better than the north. Ben Tre and Chau Doc are well worth considering as places to visit in the delta. Some photos and more detail of our time there on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/vietnam/

Haven't been to Con Dao but have stayed at a couple of Six Senses places - fantastic!!
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you crellston. Such good info. I will then try not to miss out on Bai Tu Long bay, probably use Hanoi just as a base to fly in. Spend more time in Hoi an / Hue. Let me see if there is any time left for the delta.
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 06:46 PM

Hi,
Actually June in Vietnam is very hot, so you can visit Sapa where weather will cooller than Hanoi. Further, Halong Bay in summer is quite crowed, you can visit Bai Tu Long for instead but i still recommend that you should overnight on cruise in Halong Bay which is amazing experiences for you during your vacation (Check out: Halong-Bay-Tours.com to refer Halong cruise). Moreover, If you have time, you should visit Mekong Delta where weather is so good, fresh and cool. You can join floating market in early morning.
Happy travels!
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 01:06 AM

Hi all,
I visited a lot of islands such as Nha Trang, Phu Quoc, but Ky Co Island, Quy Nhon is the most IMPRESSIVE to me.
5 mins walk from parking to coastal marina, we waited tour guide to prepare boat and life jackets. He picked us then our tour of Ky Co - Paradise Island started.

After 45 mins on sea, I had a little seasick beacause of strong waves. Suddenly Ky Co island appears as spectacularly beautiful one. The closer, more and more sea greener.

Just to the island, we waited tourguide to up the baht then he picked up us to the island.
We enjoyed the beauty here. Up to lunch time, we also surpried by local seafood such as steamed squid, boiled snails, distilled snapper, oyster porridge together with cool bear or water. There is also a variety of sauces, toothpicks, paper towels, stones, water, utensils, dishes ... Everything is not only sufficient but also full and excess.

So happy, when come Quy Nhon, Vietnam