Reload this Page >

Taipei hotels or locations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 02:21 PM
Pat

My husband and I will be in Taipei in May. Does anyone have any information on hotels orlocation. We are not interested in the extra facilities, but would like a clean room with decent bath facilities. We would like tobe in a safe walking area at night. We are looking at the Cosmos, Paradise, Golden China, and the Futuna. Some hotels are on the Tamsui line-is that a regular train or some type of subway that we use for transportation around the city? Will hotels on theline be noisy? I would appreciate any and all information. Thank you Pat

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 07:42 PM
alice

Hi Pat: I sort of know taiwan area. I am not sure what tamsui line is -- I have not figure out the correct chinese pronounciation.. I looked into those hotels you had by the internet.. just briefly, the Cosmos/Paradise are all close to the main taipei train station. That area is fine to walk around at night becasuse there are lots students around.. the book street is near by, many of the big department stores are close too. Transportation is easy, catch a bus, or hail a taxi (two of you of course!) I saw a hotel you may have skipped, what about YMCA? I never stayed there myself.. but, by the picture on the internet.. the area is close to your other choices.. may be cheaper?! look into it yourself? The city will have more noise than for example US suburbs -- THINK of BUSY NEW YORK.. Have fun there.. eat lots of great chinese food. <BR>

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 11:45 AM
Emily

Pat, <BR> Try the Leofoo Hotel. It's in the business section of town, rather than the central section. Not a lot of extras but a clean, decent room and a great buffet breakfast which usually is included with your room. You'd have to take a taxi to get to the tourist attractions, but there was a great night market behind the hotel that made for some interesting (and safe) nocturnal sight-seeing. <BR> Eat a lot and spend a lot of time at the National Palace Museum.

Emily

Pat, <BR> Try the Leofoo Hotel. It's in the business section of town, rather than the central section. Not a lot of extras but a clean, decent room and a great buffet breakfast which usually is included with your room. You'd have to take a taxi to get to the tourist attractions, but there was a great night market behind the hotel that made for some interesting (and safe) nocturnal sight-seeing. <BR> Eat a lot and spend a lot of time at the National Palace Museum.

Emily

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 11:46 AM
Emily

Old Feb 13th, 1999, 01:12 PM
Randy

Pat: <BR> <BR>I think the line that you are referring to is one of the lines for the new subway system. Taiwan has been building this for several years now, but I can't give you any exact information on this other than to tell you that the project is behind schedule and overbudget. I suspect that once open, it will be a very adequate system. <BR> <BR>I spent 5 weeks in Taiwan two years ago and spent much of it in the northern third of the country. The LeoFoo that is mentioned above is a decent property and the location is really ok. LeoFoo is a company that runs hotels and an amusement park and their hotels are generally the typical business class of hotels. You should find that they have staff that speak English and room facilities that you want and need. <BR> <BR>You will find that all of Taiwan is very safe. You should observe the same usual precautions that one would do in any major city, but this nation has not seen the crime that is common in the U.S. Know that no matter where you go, you will generally be in heavy traffic--nothing in the U.S. compares. Despite the very heavy traffic, drivers are on the whole very polite and there is little horn honking or rude gestures that you'd find in cities like NY. This island nation has 21 million people and 7 million motor scooters--you'll see those everywhere. Also know that taxis are very reasonable mode of transportation. I once spent over an hour in a taxi during evening rush hour going from central Taipei to a suburban restaurant and the total fare for 3 was only about $300NT or just over $10 US. <BR>Just know that you should NOT expect to drive yourself anywhere in Taiwan. Traffic is heavy everywhere and except for the freeway system (which resembles the US system)signage is sometimes unreliable. Parking is also hard to find. <BR> <BR>Don't miss the huge flower market that appears under the train overpass in Taipei. As memory serves this market opens Sunday morning and is there all day--the flowers and other plants are beautiful here, particularly the orchids. <BR> <BR>Also, be sure to see one of the night markets--everything from cheap souvenirs to discounted electronics. Best part is the people watching. <BR> <BR>Make time for the National Palace museum, the CKS memorial, see a concert at the national concert hall--lots of wonderful culture. <BR> <BR>Lastly, be prepared for air pollution. Given the "right" weather conditions, the air in Taipei is heavy with pollution. If this begins to get to you, consider a trip out into the country--Taiwan has a national park just north of Taipei--Yamingshan I think, that is a wonderful get-away. If you have time, go south to central Taiwan to the Tokarok National Park--stunning canyons, waterfalls and forests. <BR> <BR>Since your question was really about hotels, keep the Holiday Hotel (not to be confused with the chain) in mind if you want something fairly close to the airport for the night before your departure. It's in Taoyuan and is about as close to an airport hotel as anything you'll find. I've stayed there twice and the rooms are comfortable. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time!