Search

Cambodia Vietnam Itinerary Help please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cambodia Vietnam Itinerary Help please

Hello Fodorites!

Sorry I havent been on here for a while. I had some issues on the US forum where someone was really quite critical and condescending and it really upset me - I decided I had enough grief in my life without being subjected to it on here so I haven't been back. However, with the exception of that one guy, you guys have been an amazing support in helping me plan my trips and I love reading all your posts - and I've really missed you all. I'm now trying to plan another trip and the truth is I'd be mad to do it without some advice from all of you - so I hope you'll help me out with this one.

So ... Cambodia and Vietnam - by myself (a young mid 40's woman) over Christmas/New Year. I like 4 or 5 star hotels, not a massive fan of temples, palaces, museums etc but happy to do the major ones. Mostly want to immerse myself in the culture, wander the streets, try the food, take photos and some relaxation time by the pool, read a book, do some yoga. Mostly prefer to be by myself - dont mind the odd group day tour - but am really looking for some me time. I've travelled extensively around India, Thailand, Malaysia, Borneo, Hong Kong, Singapore and Bali. I've been to Vietnam once by myself for a very short trip. I did HCMC (and loved it so want to go again), Hanoi and Halong Bay ... Here's what I was thinking for this trip - feedback very much appreciated

18 December - Siem Reap - Arrive Siem Reap in morning (from Brisbane, Australia)
19 December - Siem Reap - Sunrise / Day trip to Angkor Wat
20 December - Siem Reap
21 December - Phnom Penh - (Fly?) to Phnom Penh
22 December - Phnom Penh - Genocide museum and killing fields
23 December - Phnom Penh - Silver Pagoda, explore, sunset cruise on Mekong?
24 December - Chau Doc - Travel to Chau Doc - boat? Car and driver?
25 December - Can Tho - Travel to Can Tho - boat? Car and driver?
26 December - Can Tho - day cruise around Mekong Delta
27 December - HCMC - (Fly? Car and Driver? Boat?) to HCMC
28 December - HCMC - Early morning photography tour / evening street food tour
29 December - HCMC - Day tour to Cu Chi Tunnels
30 December - Dalat - (Fly?) to Dalat
31 December - Dalat
1 January - Nha Trang - Car and driver to Nha Trang
2 January - Nha Trang - Beach Time
3 January - Nha Trang - Beach time
4 January - Danang - Fly to Danang
5 January - Hue - Train to Hue over the Hai Van Pass
6 January - Hoi An - Morning Boat trip on Perfume River, then car and driver ro Hoi An
7 January - Hoi An - Yoga, cooking classes, shopping, eating, photographs, chilling
8 January - Hoi An - Maybe a trip to My Son but not sure its for me ...
9 January - Hoi An - As per 7 January
10 January - Fly Danang to Brisbane

Apart from general itinerary advice, the things I'm unsure of are mainly transport options ie better to fly or worth going by road/boat/train from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh to Can Tho to HCMC? Then the same from HCMC to Dalat and Nha Trang to Danang - better to fly, or would I be missing a beautiful journey by road?

I'm not sure what I'm going to Dalat for other than I've heard it's beautiful scenery and it seems a shame to miss it when its only 4hrs from Nha Trang, and I believe the drive there is beautiful.

I don't expect culture in Nha Trang I just want some beach time and mud baths!

I dont think there's any soecific reason to go to Danang, but really want to do the Hai Van Pass by rail one way and by road the other.

I don't really have any interest in Hue as I'm not excited by historical buildings which is what I understand to be its main attraction (please corrrect me if I'm wrong), I'm only going there as I figure I may as well see it if I'm doing the Hai Van Pass.

I'm really looking forward to chilling in Hoi An at the end which is why I want 4 nights there before I go home.

Any advice, greatly appreciated - thanks guys
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 03:21 PM
jgg

Can't answer all of your questions but I'll take a stab at a few and also put my two cents in here and there.

First off, glad you liked HCMC, many people here don't care for it, but I really liked it as well. Same thing with CuChi Tunnels - some like it, some don't - we really enjoyed it - loved the history.

Did not really care for Can Tho, but then we mostly went for the floating market and it was not that great and a long car ride and overnight just for that.

Also, we really loved Hoi An. We were there for 4 nights Christmas 2011 and even though wasn't beach weather really enjoyed the things we did - cooking class with Van of Green Bamboo, bike tour with Heaven & Earth Bicycle Tours and an amazing street food tour with Neville of Taste of Hoi An!

We flew from place to place in Vietnam which was very easy to do. We did not drive or take trains so can't really comment but most people say that long distances are bit slow going.

Here are some links to my trip reports of Siem Reap and our trip to Vietnam. They also include pictures:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...hristmas-2011/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/0...nd-angkor-wat/
Old Nov 13th, 2014, 12:09 AM

You dont have to fly from SR to PP. There are good buses which will take you. I had taken the Mekong Express bus from PP to SR. There are buses both the ways. The bus takes around 6 hours and it is comfortable. You can take the Mekong River cruise in phnom Penh. So you dont have to go to CAn Tho just for the river cruise. While going to HCMC from Phnom Penh your bus would be ferried over the Mekong River. You can refer to the website of Canby Publications.That is exhaustive.
Old Nov 13th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I was heading to Mekong Delta as I regretted not having time to do it last time and felt I missed out, then when I decided to add Cambodia to the trip (this was an afterthought) it seemed the obvious way was from Phnom Penh to Can Tho. I debated flying from Phnom Penh to HCMC then doing a side trip to the Delta but thought that might not be the most efficient way to go.

I'm happy to travel by road or boat - but its not about cost - I would only chose that option if there was a reason to do it such as a beautiful or interesting journey. if we're talking long boring drives I'd much rather not waste the time and just fly. Milind, I know you say you don't have to fly and can get the bus - but is there any reason to chose that option over flying, other than perhaps cost? Can you really get a similar experience to all of the waterways in the Mekong Delta in Cambodia? I've always heard that the Mekong Delta is a wonderful and unique experience but I get the feeling here that it may not be worth the trip?

This itinerary is far from set in stone so I'm happy to make changes based on your feedback, so really appreciate you all taking the time to comment.

thanks
Old Nov 13th, 2014, 06:51 AM

<<<I know you say you don't have to fly and can get the bus - but is there any reason to chose that option over flying, other than perhaps cost?>>>

You can't see much of the country from 30,000 feet!
Giant Ibis is the best bus company between SR-PP...

http://www.giantibis.com/

A good way to end a day in PP is a drink at the Foreign Correspondents Club (FCC) on Sisowath Quay. The Happy Hour is between 1700-1900. Arrive a bit early and grab a seat on the balcony overlooking the traffic mayhem below. Perhaps after you've visit The Killing Fields, S21, and had a wander round the Russian Market.
Old Nov 13th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Ok im starting to wonder if i should be spending more time in Cambodia and cutting out some of Vietnam - perhaps Mekong Delta? Maybe stopping somewhere rural between SR and PP instead? Any thoughts?