Ipod touch to keep in touch?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here used an Ipod touch to send and read emails while they are on holidays. I have been reading that all you need is wifi to get a connection. In biger places there seems to be cafes that provide this if you buy a coffee and lots of hotels seems to have it too. We never take a laptop because of the extra bulk to carry everywhere. Email is our prefered method of staying in touch with our family. Apparently I would be able to store my photos on it and use it for music on the plane. Sounds too good to be true. Anyone here used one? I am particularly interested to find out how easily it is to find free wifi connections. Thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an iPod nano for podcasts and books on tape, but for keeping in touch I've relied on Internet cafes. However, for my next trip I just bought a "baby" computer - a netbook (actually a Lenovo Ideapad). It's only 10x7 inches, and weighs 2 1/2 pounds, including the battery but not the power adapter and cord. It's small enough not to be a pain to cart around, but big enough to have a real keyboard and a good-sized (really clear) screen. I'll be relying on free wifi, which, as you say, a number of hotels are advertising these days.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 03:59 PM

I have an I-phone with all of the capabilities of the Ipod Touch + a cell phone. I have found that the wifi is useful in airports and hotels that offer it for free but I much prefer using my hotel's computers or an internet cafe to do any kind of extensive e-mail. The small keyboard on the Apple products is fine for short messages but it is just all around easier to do stuff on a real computer.

As for music, I love having my own tunes on the plane - and it shuts out the other noise.

Just my thoughts - hope this helps.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM

I travelled with an ipod touch for three weeks in February in Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand. Three out of 4 hotels I was in had free wifi, and I was in a restaurant in Siem Reap that had free access. I got my ipod touch (8 Gb) free with a Mac laptop, and found it a terrific addition on the trip. Web browsing, as well as calendar, contacts, etc. Plus, of course, the features you mention. You can buy a small generic AC adapter to recharge it for <$10. In all, a great travel accessory; highly recommended. Unlike the netbook, it goes in a pocket.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Thursday, May I ask how much you paid for your 'baby'? Thanks.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:48 AM

I've been using my iPod Touch almost since it was introduced and love it as a terrific alternative to lugging a computer around (or trying to find an internet cafe, and time to go use it).

Wifi is sometimes easy, sometimes difficult to find although I have been known to pop into a hotel lobby and sit for a while to use theirs. Have also, in a couple of extreme cases, found a random signal on the street and have 'borrowed' it.

The small keyboard could be a problem, but I have found that it limits how much I write. That's a good thing as there's no necessity to write a novel in email. After practice, that keyboard does get easier to use.

Photos in the unit are wonderful as I can share with others and not lug prints. More than enough space for music, too.

I have found many of the commercial applications and games to be fairly simplistic so I use few.

It's an excellent device so long as you recognize these limitations. I won't travel without it any more.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skittle - I got a St. Patrick's Day discount and a (former IBM) employee discount, so your price would be different. You should be able to find a "baby" for somewhere between $300 and $450. I bought the smallest S10 - tinyurl.com/6fqxv8. I really like the keyboard, and the screen has a very sharp picture.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM

I use my iPhone to keep in touch by email, and also use TruPhone (a voip application) to make outgoing calls. Cheap and easy, and sound quality generally quite good.

I also use it on the plane: music, podcasts (lots of good free stuff on iTunes from NPR), movies (you can download rentals from iTunes).

Since I was in Japan and there wasn't much wifi, I used something called an AirPort to generate a wifi signal from the ethernet in my apartment. Very convenient.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 05:36 AM

if you have an iphone, there is also an free app called fring that you can download. it has skype (as well as msn & AIM) on it that you can use to make phone calls. so as long as there is wireless internet and you make previous arrangements to have them turn the skype on, it works pretty well! just have to get used to the slight delay so you don't step over each other's conversation but i didn't use my phone card at all this last trip.