Reload this Page >

help! what to buy in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 06:37 AM
christina

I´m going to Thailand this summer (1st time) and would like to know what kind of things to buy and where. I´m visiting Bangkok,Chiang Mai and Phuket. <BR>thanks

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Meg

There's a lot to buy in Thailand. Things that immediately come to mind are pottery (Celadon, specifically), silk, and cotton, gems (if you know what you're doing), handicrafts, clothing (custom work, etc.), silver, laquerware....... <BR> <BR>Lynn - where are you? She can really give you good shopping advice. I don't remember bringing back very many things other than pearls from Phuket, a gong from the Thieves Market in Bangkok and a good Thai cookbook. Maybe a frame or two and some vases. <BR> <BR>Bargain hard in the markets - haggle.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 03:39 PM
mari

i used to take a lot of americans to bangkok when i worked in vietnam, and the things they went for most was silks. my folks have been there several times and also go for tailor-made silk suits and such (bangkok hotel concierge can usually recommend a reliable tailor who can do this in 2 days and deliver to hotel), teak furniture (chiang mai), gold jewelry (also chiang mai), and dried-fruit snacks. at any market or supermarket u can find these, and they're different from u.s. versions, plus they have more exotic fruits. my favorite buys were handmade thai ceramics, like northern-style black water jars (i have 2, which cost $7 total but are heavy) and handcrafted wooden bowls and chopsticks, also a steal. charcoal rubbings of temple carvings on rice paper are also beautiful, inexpensive and very easy to carry.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:00 PM
ndub

Its not what to buy, its what "not" to buy: <BR> <BR>- Green Leaves, resembling oregano, sold in tea bags at an outrageous price, by a sales person, that keeps on winking. <BR> <BR>- Ivory, (I'll never make that mistake again!) <BR> <BR>- Stones/Gems from anywhere except an accredited dealer <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:26 AM
pat

If you will be in bangkok over the weekend, so get the BTS to Mo Chit for the weekend Chatujak market, you can get nearly everything there. <BR>I also support silk, chiangmai should be cheaper than bkk and phuket. <BR>Chitlada shop offers many hand-made things, and it is supported by HM the Queen.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Al

While in Chiang Mai last February we bought a hand-carved teak coffee table with the assurance that it would arrive at our home in America in about 60 days. <BR>Sure enough, the shipping agents communicated with us, we did the necessary paperwork, and it is the glory of our livingroom now. The packing was not to be believed--plastic, paper, bamboo, within a teakwood-framed crate. Not a scratch on it. Perfect. We bought it at a factory/showroom, dealt with salespeople who spoke excellent English and knew their stuff when it came to discussing woodworking and furniture care. Later, we communicated via e-mail with their customer-relations chief about questions regarding clearning customs. Key point: items made of wood and finished by hand are considered "works of art" by U. S. Customs and carry no duty. Make sure you make this point clear to any Customs people and you can save a bundle.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:22 PM
lynn

Well, looks like I'm late to the game! You've already gotten some good advice above, but I'll add my two cents... <BR> <BR>As far as gold, definately buy in Chiang Mai. If you go to Warroat Market you'll find a grouping of Chinese gold shops and they had better prices than in Bangkok. About $11 per gram for 24k and cheaper for 18k. <BR> <BR>Also agree with the weekend market in Bangkok. I find that is one of the best overall places to buy things in Thailand because you have such a huge selection in one place and most of the prices are reasonable; just make sure you never pay the asking price. Always bargain. At this market they also have some shipping people. I can't vouch personally but I did see a few. <BR> <BR>One drawback to the weekend market is the fact that it is extremely (and I mean extremely) hot, humid and crowded. That can sometimes work against your haggling abilities because you just get sick and tired of dealing with it. Search out a little place called Joy's Kitchen. It's a food stall-come-restaurant and they have a very small closed in, air-conditioned room where you can take a break, have some egg rolls and an orange shake (more like a slushy) and then go back to battle. Very cheap too. A plate of mini eggrolls and two shakes cost us less than $2.00. <BR> <BR>Having clothes made is a great way to bring back memories. My husband has done this twice and is amazed at how well custom-made clothes fit. I haven't had any made yet but plan to this year. <BR> <BR>Gemstones are an entire category themselves. Bangkok is one of the world gemstone processing and cutting centers. The vast majority of all gems you see in the retail market make their way through Bangkok before reaching their final destination. Hence, there are some deals to be had but many scams abound. If you don't know what you're doing, stick to the reputable stores and don't buy anything from a market vendor. <BR> <BR>And as for silk, skip the stuff you see at stalls on the street for $5. It's not silk. You can visit some of the silk factories while in Chiang Mai and buy some silk there. I did this for the sake of convenience but they generally do charge higher prices than other places. I'm sure you could go hunt out some of the cloth markets and get better deals if you had the time. <BR> <BR>If you like silver, there is a great little store in Chiang Mai called Silver Bell. He is an import/export guy and I bought a Balinese silver purse from him very cheap! We ended up paying about .26 cents a gram which, for that type of purse, was a very good deal. They sell here in the States for about $400 and I saw a couple in other parts of Chiang Mai for $150-$200. I paid $87 for a 332 gram purse. So, if you like silver, check him out. He's on Loi Kroh between Kampaengdin and Kotcasarn. <BR> <BR>One last place to do some great shopping is MBK in Bangkok. Several floors of all types of stuff. Just go look around and you're sure to see many things you want to take home. They have gold shops in here too but the better deals are to be had in Chiang Mai. <BR> <BR>Good luck shopping! Thailand is the best place in the world for that. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR>T-126