Search

Hongkong 4D3N

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Jean

Hongkong 4D3N

HI i would like to know is the ocean park in hongkong really that fantastic and also other than the temple street market and ladies street,any other ideas on how i can spend the days with my frens,we are going on a free and easy tour. <BR>Thanks! <BR>Jean

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Audrey

My personal opinion, if there is nothing much to do else u can skip it else wait for DisneyLand...you can try going to <BR>1. Stanley Market, go to HK side n take 6X bus <BR>2. Time Square <BR>3. Causeway Bay <BR> <BR>I don't personally find a lot of stuff in Kowloon side but HK side is much much better in term of shopping. <BR> <BR>Ladies Market - cheap stuff but i don't think you will buy a lot as the quality is not that great... <BR> <BR>Okay... write to me if u need more information as i was there just 3 months ago.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 09:06 PM
lynn

Jean - <BR> <BR>I must disagree with above. Ladies' Market has some great stuff. You just can't buy the first thing you see because quality does vary. Keep your eyes peeled and you will likely find some very good quality knock-offs. I have many purses from there and specifically, a Cartier and a Gucci that are breathtaking. Naturally, don't expect $1200 quality for something you're spending $20, $40, $50 on. <BR> <BR>I do agree with above on Stanley Market. Take the bus and try to ride on the top in front. It's a kick. While in Stanley have lunch at Lucy's. It's a great little oasis in the midst of the heat and humidity. We had a great lunch there in '99. <BR> <BR>Also make sure you take a ferry ride on the Star Ferry so you can enjoy a close up view of the skyline from the water. I believe the best view is had by taking the ferry from Kowloon pier to Wanchai pier on HK island. Do it once in the daytime and once at night. <BR> <BR>Don't miss the view from Victoria Peak. You can also have a nice dinner up there at either Deco Cafe or Peak Cafe. Haven't been to Deco but the Peak Cafe was very good. Our favorite thing to do is go shortly before sunset and watch all the lights come on. Hope for a clear day and you'll be able to see China in the distance. <BR> <BR>Tea at the Penninsula is another thing to do if you like that type of thing. <BR> <BR>If you like antiques and collectibles, go for a stroll down Hollywood Road. Just remember, many of the items in the windows on this road are reproduction. Nice, but not worth big price tags. <BR> <BR>Have fun. HK is great. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 09:29 PM
Jean

Hi,Thanks alot Audrey and Lynn, <BR>i will take note of the places both of you mentioned. <BR>can i know both of you went for the hongkong tour is thru internet online booking of hotel and airfares or from travel agencies? <BR>In december is it really much difficult to shop for clothes as what is being displayed there are winter clothings? <BR>Anyone know of STANFORD HOTEL at kowloon area? <BR>Becos from the map in internet tis hotel is very much near the mongkok mtr as well as all the street markets.one of my frens says,there are many foodstalls and coffeeshops that sell delicious food such as dim sum,and smelly beancurd.. <BR>Any other recommendations

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:21 PM
CoolWiz

Don't miss: <BR> <BR>1. The magnificently renovated in traditional Tang Dynasty architecture, the Chi Lin Nunnery is a must-see . No nails were used in this multi-million dollar renovation, only wooden dowelling and brackets. The 3.2-hectare site, comprising various Buddhist temples, is a living museum of the Tang Dynasty (AD 618-907) (Diamond Hill MTR/Subway station). <BR> <BR>2. the Hong Kong Park An oasis of green amid the urban landscape, Hong Kong Park (Admiralty MTR station via Pacific Place) with an aviary (150 species of birds in a tropical rainforest setting), greenhouse, the Hong Kong Visual Arts Centre, fountains, lily ponds, playgrounds, and a Tea-ware Museum. <BR> <BR>3. Po Lin Monastery on Lantau Island is set amid spectacular mountain scenery. the monastery shares Ngong Ping Plateau with the famous Big Buddha, the world's largest, seated, outdoor, bronze Buddha statue. You can walk up the 268 steps to visit the 26-metre-high Budda. <BR> <BR>Cheers